Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Need a cheap way of making my civic em2 faster

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
em2c1v1c is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Need a cheap way of making my civic em2 faster

any help on cheap turbo kits
or any other bits i can do to make it faster
it is absolutley standard...what can i do to make it faster
what other parts are available such as induction kits (which ones are the best)
any links would be helpful thanks
Old 10-31-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need a cheap way of making my civic em2 faster

cheap + fast d17 = doesn't work, unless you wanna do it "wrong" and break something..

now, relatively cheap, sure. But actually cheap? not so much. If you plan on turboing, expect to spend some money.

actually, if you expect to make the D17 fast, plan on spending money.
Old 10-31-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Great first post, lol.

The D17a2 is legendary for how poorly it responds to basic (cheap) mods, like intakes, exhausts, and cam gears. Don't bother adding them if you expect great results. The only way an em2 can be made fast is K-swap $6-10,000, or full d17a2 motor build $5000+
Old 10-31-2010
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say if you shop right, you can probably get away with a proper turbo job running 6-8psi for.. 3000-4000.. But you just have to be patient and look for deals and people selling **** in good condition for cheap.
Old 10-31-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

^Turbo D17a2 is still not that fast unless you build the internals.
Old 10-31-2010
Registered!!

shwoogie420 is an unknown quantity at this point

yea like they are saying going fast in a d17 isnt cheap.. all the stupid bolt ons make the car sound good but there will be no seat of the pants difference.. if you turbo it it you can prob double the stock hp get maybe 200-250 on the stock motor for like $3000.....but if your looking for bigger numbers start saving the $$$$
Old 11-01-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by MindBomber
^Turbo D17a2 is still not that fast unless you build the internals.
I'm using "fast" as a relative term.. lol
Old 11-01-2010
Registered!!

tjg312 is an unknown quantity at this point

nitrous is pretty much your only choice to get a noticeable gain for cheap... unfortunately
Old 11-01-2010
Registered!!

02_d17a1_dx is an unknown quantity at this point

Fast + cheap = NO GO for 7th gens

Either sell it and get something older, something you can do a b series swap in, or start saving money. Nitrous isnt worth the risks IMO, sure its "cheap" but you wouldnt dare run more than a 50 shot, and I wouldnt even do that. And dont do an ebay turbo kit, besides the fact that fuel management is $600+ on a turbo setup, you'll be rebuilding that turbo in no time. And theres no cheap way to do a K swap.

I say get an intake and enjoy your vtec sound as you take forever to get to 60mph.
Old 11-01-2010
Registered!!

Juiced_EM2 is an unknown quantity at this point

NITROUS KIT FTW!! I have a zex wet kit on mine and love it
Old 11-01-2010
Registered!!

a_a91 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by em2c1v1c
any help on cheap turbo kits
or any other bits i can do to make it faster
it is absolutley standard...what can i do to make it faster
what other parts are available such as induction kits (which ones are the best)
any links would be helpful thanks
Best bang for your buck is probablly chipping it, are you in toronto? I have a hook up on chips for anywhere from 200-2000 depending on what your looking at doing, turbo on the stock motor... not the best decision your motor life will ATLEAST cut in half, nitrous? I think not, the nitrous is actually so combustive that it explodes so many times before your piston can even elevate often causing a blown piston or worse, head gasket etc.. in terms of 7th gens being slow I disagree you just need to do a swap or again make smart investments. well smart expenses I should say making your car faster is not an investment lol, but since you said CHEAP upgrades, not gonna happen bud just make your car look fast haahahha
Old 11-01-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

for cheap would be putting it on a cliff, so it would get a one-time 1G acceleration.
Done right will cost a lot, but done wrong will cost much, much more.
so if you really want fast, K-swap, turbo or nitro.something slightly better than stock will be stage 1 crower cams.
stage 3 will require a lot more parts plus an expensive k-pro.
Old 11-01-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
for cheap would be putting it on a cliff, so it would get a one-time 1G acceleration.
Done right will cost a lot, but done wrong will cost much, much more.
so if you really want fast, K-swap, turbo or nitro.something slightly better than stock will be stage 1 crower cams.
stage 3 will require a lot more parts plus an expensive k-pro.
HAHAHAHA, so true about the cliff.

But on a serious note, the stage 1 cam is SOOOO easy to put in, although be prepared that pretty much anything you do to your car is gonna make you lose low end torque, which doesnt sound important, but it kinda is, the stock cam is excellent for a stock car, builds torque really quickly and the torque curve isnt even a curve, its a straight line, which is amazing, the stage 1 will net higher tq and hp, but only at the top end and you have to decide if its worth losing basically all your low end.
Old 11-01-2010
Registered!!

idk i think any " performance mod" you do to your car and you dont have to get it tuned after wards is just a waste of money....cant be making that much more power if you aren't adding fuel
Old 11-01-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by shwoogie420
idk i think any " performance mod" you do to your car and you dont have to get it tuned after wards is just a waste of money....cant be making that much more power if you aren't adding fuel
Yeah, youre not gonna see gains without forced induction or internal work, and ofcourse a tune, not on a Honda. People hear of big block v8s getting 30 hp from an exhaust, well yeah, but its not designed for efficiency, A honda engine (especially a d17) is an extremely efficient engine for its size, therefore, nothing but forced induction or a good n/a build (which wont net you much anyway) will get you good gains. Its like people who put underdrive pulleys on civics, the factory pulleys are light and slow as possible without causing the engine to die, plus why in your right mind would you get rid of your harmonic balancer? its also like people who remove their entire intake system and run without a filter, another wonderful idea.

I suggest an ebay intake, and an hks axle back, cause nothing else is gonna do anything more for your EM2, itll make it sound nice, go for suspension mods, then if you get the money go for some boost. You can do wonderful things with a civics suspension, so dont be sad in that department.

And continuing on with the topic of Honda being efficient, theres a reason the D17 was the last d series, it was as efficient as it was gonna get, theres a reason they decided to design an entirely new engine series (R series), so they could make it more efficient and cheaper to produce. And in case you havent heard, the r series doesnt respond to bolt ons either, thats why they really dont make bolt ons for them. The only exclusion is the k series, you can do wonders with a k series, mostly because you have 2 cams. Theres wonders in what a k can do, especially with al the different block and displacement options, including Hondas ONLY Turbocharged engine.

So, basically, to sum it up for the 100 bilionth time, The d17 doesnt do anything without forced induction!!!!!
Old 11-01-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Well, actually, it is just that the cams work in a range that the stock FI/EMS can adjust itself to provide more fuel.
The stage 3 (stage 2 is designed for turbos) will be beyond the factory range, so needs a new management system.
Naturally, if you use a k-pro (recommended by most), you will unlock more power from the cam, but that will be over 1k for a few ponies...
I hear that just stage 1 plus I/E/H would get close to 115 WHP (i guess bomerman did get 125?), which is much more than the estimated 90WHP. But you pay around 400 for the cams, plus the I/E/H, so is it worth? Nah... But could be better depending on how you use the car. If you shift like a mama, definitely the loss of torque would impact badly... If you rev a little more, the extra power could make the car a little more liveable, but at a price that could easily get to 800 to 1k...
Again, worth the price? ... Makes me wonder...
But i am not very interested on the additional maintenance required for turbos and nitrous... A swap is interesting, though.
Bad is that this dawn engine is long lasting, so will take a long time to blow it to go for swap...
Old 11-01-2010
Registered!!

Well, actually, it is just that the cams work in a range that the stock FI/EMS can adjust itself to provide more fuel.
The stage 3 (stage 2 is designed for turbos) will be beyond the factory range, so needs a new management system.
Naturally, if you use a k-pro (recommended by most), you will unlock more power from the cam, but that will be over 1k for a few ponies...
I hear that just stage 1 plus I/E/H would get close to 115 WHP (i guess bomerman did get 125?), which is much more than the estimated 90WHP. But you pay around 400 for the cams, plus the I/E/H, so is it worth? Nah... But could be better depending on how you use the car. If you shift like a mama, definitely the loss of torque would impact badly... If you rev a little more, the extra power could make the car a little more liveable, but at a price that could easily get to 800 to 1k...
Again, worth the price? ... Makes me wonder...
But i am not very interested on the additional maintenance required for turbos and nitrous... A swap is interesting, though.
Bad is that this dawn engine is long lasting, so will take a long time to blow it to go for swap...
yea i understand what you are saying....the kid said he wanted to make power.... thought he meant more than an extra 100hp.....as for addtional maintenance idk i have k-pro so i jusst drive around witht the lap top and make changes as k-pro tells me to and i like to fine tune it as well... i change the oil every 1000 miles and thats about it.....i also have a zex nitrious kit in the garage....brand new in the box....if anyone wants it pm me....
Old 11-01-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Originally Posted by 02_d17a1_dx
And continuing on with the topic of Honda being efficient, theres a reason the D17 was the last d series, it was as efficient as it was gonna get, theres a reason they decided to design an entirely new engine series (R series), so they could make it more efficient and cheaper to produce. And in case you havent heard, the r series doesnt respond to bolt ons either, thats why they really dont make bolt ons for them. The only exclusion is the k series, you can do wonders with a k series, mostly because you have 2 cams. Theres wonders in what a k can do, especially with al the different block and displacement options, including Hondas ONLY Turbocharged engine.
The fact that Honda designed the D series motor for extreme efficiency is something most newbs tend to forget, so I am gad you pointed that out. The D series is exactly what Honda designed it to be; an incredibly fuel efficiency engine, with a decent bottom end thats very reliable. The same is true for a the K series, Honda designed it for performance, and thus it responds very well to bolt ons. Its us tuners fiddling with our engines that have it backwards lol..
Old 11-01-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

yea i understand what you are saying....the kid said he wanted to make power.... thought he meant more than an extra 100hp.....as for addtional maintenance idk i have k-pro so i jusst drive around witht the lap top and make changes as k-pro tells me to and i like to fine tune it as well... i change the oil every 1000 miles and thats about it.....i also have a zex nitrious kit in the garage....brand new in the box....if anyone wants it pm me....
Ah, it was just to not to give the impression that there are no gains from the cam (you know, noobs will read that and say all over the net that you said that it will give you nothing, which is not true), they will give more power, with the question that: it is worth the money? For some, maybe, for others, not so much
Cheers!
Old 11-02-2010
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

Nitrous ain't called the "poor mans supercharger" for nothin. Just my .02
Old 11-02-2010
Registered!!

Ah, it was just to not to give the impression that there are no gains from the cam (you know, noobs will read that and say all over the net that you said that it will give you nothing, which is not true), they will give more power, with the question that: it is worth the money? For some, maybe, for others, not so much
Cheers!
no i said you will get like 100hp.... and i thought he wanted to make more than that b/c he was asking about turbo kits
Old 11-03-2010
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

oh easy dood! you can get massive gains in speed for $100. just buy an electric power saw and some good cutting wheels. take off the roof. then your car's lighter, faster and a badass convertable!
Old 11-04-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

no i said you will get like 100hp.... and i thought he wanted to make more than that b/c he was asking about turbo kits
yup, but he wanted a cheap way
which could be costly in the end!
well, you know how people can be, half words will sound like whole sentences depending on who you talking to Have seem some unbelievable stuff being asked and also answered around the forums (not only here, i am in another for miata's too.)
I am just trying to help you, honestly!
Cheers! You know i am not trying to mess with you!

Last edited by sdaidoji; 11-04-2010 at 06:03 PM.
Old 11-04-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by mac25
oh easy dood! you can get massive gains in speed for $100. just buy an electric power saw and some good cutting wheels. take off the roof. then your car's lighter, faster and a badass convertable!
harharhar! good one!
Old 11-04-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Cheap way?

Decals, and emblems
Old 11-04-2010
Registered!!

yup, but he wanted a cheap way
which could be costly in the end!
well, you know how people can be, half words will sound like whole sentences depending on who you talking to Have seem some unbelievable stuff being asked and also answered around the forums (not only here, i am in another for miata's too.)
I am just trying to help you, honestly!
Cheers! You know i am not trying to mess with you!
yea well i think after reading what everyone said there is no cheap way lol...yea i know i got no problem with you i remember you from my thread i started about my d17 then got ripped on for street racing
Old 11-05-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mac25
Or for even cheaper he could get a computer fan and place it on top of his throttle body for mad 246459 lbs of boost, yo. Or he might need to change his muffler bearings...

But seriously, theres no way to cheaply make an EM2 fast.
Old 11-05-2010
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

what a disaster thread.....lol
Old 11-11-2010
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

aw, sleepyrice you love it! come on i mean this cheap mod question has been asked a million times. i'd rather make a joke about saying you can't mod on the cheap to get real gains then just yell at someone for asking.