Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

My New Turbo Set-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light
My New Turbo Set-Up Thread

Hi guys, Im going to start a thread on my next build up. I have started but I am still waiting on some parts, mostly my turbo which should be here next week. Im trying some different stuff and the thread should turn out pretty nice. I dont have much for pics yet so I'll start off with a couple and update as things progress. Those familiar with me/my car will know that I run an AEM EMS and a custom Crower cam which will be included in my new setup. Other than that, everything else is going to be custom built by myself and Ryan (JDM Fabtech). Right now the car is ripped apart and I am waiting on my flanges to finish the exhaust and intake manifolds. We decided after lots of debate to go with a GT3076R from Presicion. One of our good friends got us a super good deal on it too! Some of my engine specs and such I will keep secret, I wanna keep some tricks up my sleeve haha.

This is the start of a new custom IM. Much like Andy's but I'm experimenting with a new plenum design. It has just a touch more volume and the runners will be just a smidge shorter. Im hoping this will make power up to the almost 8000rpms I'll probably need to make use of the GT30 on the new motor. It doesnt show as much of the actual taper in the pics but it shrinks down towards the end quite nicely.

This is the merge collector for the new exhaust manifold. The wastegate outlet was left long for now. Typically I'd wanna merge these in at less of an angle but I'm trying to stuff everything in there in a certain spot so in this case the shorter merge was neccesary.

I figure this thread will be informative to people that want to see just whats involved in a scratch-built, one-off turbo/engine combo seeing how we always just get bits and pieces here on the forums.

Last edited by 02fpcivic; 04-18-2007 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-08-2007
Registered!!

soldierboi will become famous soon enoughsoldierboi will become famous soon enough
Re: My New Turbo Set-Up Thread

you post this to make us jealous lol....anyway i wish there is someone out there that could make all of us an IM so we can all be happy. Santa said he wont do it cuz his welding shop is broken lol.
Old 04-08-2007
Registered!!

02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light

Here's some pics of the new lower end. It started off as a brand new Honda block. The gut consists of a Honda crank, Scat rods, and custom SRP pistons/JE rings and ACL race bearings. Before I have people telling me I cant get those for a D17 I will say YES you are correct, but they are in my engine anyways! I'm pretty sure these rods are lighter than the Crower rods and they are much cheaper thats for damn sure! I have yet to have a scat rod fail so I'm not concerned. You'll notice something different in one of the pics. New Honda blocks dont come with engine codes on them, neat fact! Im going to scribe a question mark where the engine code goes just for ***** and giggles.

Last edited by 02fpcivic; 04-18-2007 at 08:55 PM.
Old 04-08-2007
Registered!!

No not to make ya jealous. If anyone puts as much heart as we do into a project, they can do just as much or more. Its all about determination. Not to mention we're tired of everyone poking fun at the "stupid D17" haha.
Old 04-08-2007
Registered!!

Randyh will become famous soon enoughRandyh will become famous soon enough

Maybe you can save me some work, Did you put a d16 crank in it and use d16 rods and pistons? I'm trying to find a junk d16 to see if it will work or not. seems like it should. I am wanting to try a d16 cranks, tuners toys rods and vitara pistons for a low buck boost *****.

Later
Randy
Old 04-08-2007
Registered!!

It fits. Gotta use D16 oil pump, crank sensor(plugs are different, need rewire), timing cog, and balancer. everything else is a bolt-on. Saves you about $500-1000 if you know how to shop and spec out engine stuff.
Old 04-08-2007
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with the build. Keep us updated if you will. I do not have the time or money or knowledge to take on a project like this but always love reading about it.
Old 04-08-2007
Registered!!

Oh heres a con for people living in the sticks, you have to ditch the timing covers. Like an *** I run mine open anyways so no loss on my part.
Old 04-08-2007
Registered!!

Theres a lot of stuff to realize when you do this though Randy. The d17 combustion chambers are bigger by like 2 or 3ccs so you want like a stock compression D16 piston. It'll still be lower than stock by about .5 The pistons seem to come up higher in the cyl so you so I dont think you'd wanna deck the d17 block. I am actually going to deck my head. I should be running about 9.2:1 or so based on my calculations which is only moderately lower than stock. I was actually going to go higher but I think this will work out just fine. I dont remember the specifics off hand(lots of figuring) but if you get the 2 side by side and grab some free calculation software on the net you can figure it out without a too much trouble

Last edited by 02fpcivic; 04-08-2007 at 12:09 PM.
Old 04-08-2007
Registered!!

DaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of light

i like the blok guard!i saw one like it on this forum but never found it back
this is a nice one.keep us posted
Old 04-08-2007
Registered!!

soldierboi will become famous soon enoughsoldierboi will become famous soon enough

whats your power goal? i wanna see 300+ lol
Old 04-08-2007
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

Mmmm, sleeved D17 block. Very nice. So the D16 rotating assembly fit without having to notch the block to clear the rods? I'm still researching the smartest way to build up my bottom - aside from drinking beer and sitting on it. Good stuff, can't wait to see the results.
Old 04-08-2007
Registered!!

I dont have one but 300+ is expected for sure. The gt30 should be capable of making more than I probably could even use. Im going to run it on pump gas. Ill crank it up until I am happy with the power/drivability. Im not set on making record numbers just getting to a power level that is optimal for a street/strip car. 350 would probably be enough. We'll see. Im not making any claims yet nothing is even in the car, hehe.
Old 04-08-2007
Registered!!

Dropped right in. The D16 has a shorter stroke creating more clearance for the rods if anything. The Scat rods seem to have a little less material on the big end of the rod too so that helps.
Old 04-08-2007
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice work man. I'm anxious to see the outcome.
Old 04-08-2007
Registered!!

Me too, hehe. Here's another pic.
Comp Clutches Stg. 5
4 puck ceramic sprung hub clutch

Last edited by 02fpcivic; 04-18-2007 at 08:56 PM.
Old 04-08-2007
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute

Haha, you're all giddy now, lol. New parts will do that. Nice to see you going all out with it and making some progress. Did you get those injectors checked out? What was the deal?
Old 04-08-2007
Registered!!

I havent yet. I've been busy. Im going to end up with 750s I think. RC gets $25 just to check em out. Ill wait until I get done with my stuff then I'll have em checked out. For now they are good for mock up purposes
Old 04-08-2007
Turbo Guru

Good deal man. I dono about the $25 though. I know that's what they "claim" but when I sent in my 750's, they didn't end up charging me to check them, I used the powers of persuasion, lol.
Old 04-08-2007
Registered!!

good to know Andy. Maybe its actually worth it to send em in. I was thinking its going to cost me like 150 to take care of these things between shipping and such. At that rate I'd be better off buying new ones. I still will need 750s though.
Old 04-08-2007
Turbo Guru

I spent about 115 between shipping and cleaning. If you get them working right you should be able to sell them for around 250-300, it'd be worth it.
Old 04-08-2007
7thgen Power Maker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to behold

Lookin good Jerry. Hope to see a kick *** final product.
Old 04-08-2007
Registered!!

me too, lots of effort, time and, money. I just hope it isnt unrewarded.
Old 04-08-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

drunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of light

all i can say is wow..
Old 04-09-2007
Registered!!

DaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of light

Hey,

I got a question just to be curious but howlong are the runners en from
what size do they resize too the end?
Old 04-09-2007
7thgen Power Maker

dezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by 02fpcivic
me too, lots of effort, time and, money. I just hope it isnt unrewarded.
I think it will show some dividends. I thought of trying to use some SCATs or EAGLEs because the specs on the rods from the D17 to D16 are close, but far from from spot on:

Center to center
5.394 for both

BE Bore
1.890 for both

BE Width
D17 .780
D16 .892

PE Bore
.748 both

PE Width
D17 .90
D16 .716

Rep it up!
Old 04-09-2007
Registered!!

mmmmm, thats why I switched cranks. I doubt .1 Liter will affect much, only one way to find out, haha.

Well my runners are a little shorter than Andy's in total purely for experimentation. The rest of the specs I dont wanna dish out. If it works out well for me I'd like to keep an edge at least for a little bit, hehe. I have made a bunch of manifolds and spent lots of money trying different stuff and I think I got the F/I manifolds going in the right direction now. Its hard to say exactly whats what though, when everyone is running a different setup.
Old 04-09-2007
7thgen Power Maker

D16 crank?
Old 04-10-2007
Registered!!

With a little side-by-side comparison it wasnt that bad to create this beast. D16 aftermarket parts are cheaper for me to get though our connections and just about everyone has d16s laying around for cheap or free for spare parts so I figured I'd give it a whirl.
Old 04-18-2007
Registered!!

Well I got the v-band flanges and 409ss mandrel bends for the 3" downpipe I didnt bother to take pics of those. Here are some other goodies.

Intake manifold flanges. I have decided to go with an H22 TB instead and relocate the IAC. The pic shows the total D17 flange set we use.

Now for the fun stuff. Precision GT3076RLE-12. Assembled to my specs. Probably nothing special but it should be good to almost 500 crank HP, not that I will make that much, hehe. Gotta thank Chris and Timmy for the great deal. They are sponsored by Presicion and Chris really came through for me by doing all the legwork to set me straight.

Last edited by 02fpcivic; 04-18-2007 at 09:21 PM.

Quick Reply: My New Turbo Set-Up Thread