Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!
View Poll Results: Will this matter?
A nice sized T25/T28 like TSI at a similar pice will matter.
29.36%
It will not matter.
2.75%
Leave the kit as it is, just lower the price.
63.30%
Other: Please post what and why...
4.59%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: D17 Stuff **future boosters, please enter**

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005
7thgen Power Maker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to behold
Poll: D17 Stuff **future boosters, please enter**

I know cost seems to be a great factor when turbo'ing the 7thgen. The idea was brought up of re-designing and re-releasing our turbo kit. Would you be more probable to purchase it if it came with a more appropriate sized turbo and little cheaper?

Last edited by dezod; 11-10-2005 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-10-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crazyasian will become famous soon enoughcrazyasian will become famous soon enough
probably but the question is wats gonna reduce the cost besides the new turbo? i wouldnt mind a turbo that would really work good with an auto but sounds like you guys are cooking up something which i might b interested cause that stage 1 kit that you first came out with is pretty expensive but good none the less.
Old 11-10-2005
Registered!!

tuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to all
^^agree
and price is a large determining factor since most of us are on budgets anyway. I prolly could live with around 150-200 hp unlike some of the boost freaks on here. my wife thinks i drive to fast as it is even though she's the one always doing 70+ in her v6 grand am (she knows all the cops in town cause she used to give them free ice cream when she was a manager at DQ)
Old 11-10-2005
7thgen Power Maker

dezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to behold
Well.............we can cut costs by a couple hundred dollars re-designing for intercooler piping and such, outsource our manifolds to HKS, use an internally wastegated turbo....
Old 11-10-2005
let the devil out
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

eye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by dezod
Well.............we can cut costs by a couple hundred dollars re-designing for intercooler piping and such, outsource our manifolds to HKS, use an internally wastegated turbo....
Yea thats how the TSI kit is, I have the Extreme TSI kit which is a cast manifold and internal wastegate. It did have a slightly lower cost and i've been successful running it at 12 PSI on my TCI auto built tranny with no issues and putting down good numbers. I beleive the biggest factor to everyone is cost or boost on a budget so I would agree for future boosters to see where you can cut cost without affecting the worthiness of what components are in your kit
Old 11-10-2005

HyaBoosta will become famous soon enough
Not a bad idea for those just wanting a little kick.
Old 11-10-2005
Registered!!

vicride345 is an unknown quantity at this point
Would this mean the kit you have now plus this new smaller turbo kit or totally redoing the whole kit. Because I want to buy the kit u have now for the price you have now Im starting to save up money now to get it in a couple of months if the supplies will last.
Old 11-10-2005
7thgen Power Maker

Originally Posted by vicride345
Would this mean the kit you have now plus this new smaller turbo kit or totally redoing the whole kit. Because I want to buy the kit u have now for the price you have now Im starting to save up money now to get it in a couple of months if the supplies will last.
It would mean a whole new kit. I would act now if I were you.
Old 11-10-2005
Make friends with your slow.

Morton has much to be proud ofMorton has much to be proud ofMorton has much to be proud ofMorton has much to be proud ofMorton has much to be proud ofMorton has much to be proud ofMorton has much to be proud ofMorton has much to be proud ofMorton has much to be proud ofMorton has much to be proud ofMorton has much to be proud of
Wadup

thats a good salesman! anyways id rather have more boost for more money, than less boost for less money, thats the way it should be atleast thats what i think. if you have the money go all out if you dont and you HAVE to be boosted then settle for less, its your choice atleast it should be anyways.. What i would do is get the cheaper kit and replace a few things of my choice (if it came out to be cheaper than the original in the end that is). well thats just my spin. But then again he said they would do away with the old kit completely so looks like we dont have much of a choice, so with him saying that id rather keep it the same more boost for more money. if your gunna boost i would want to feel faster than the stock g@y SRT-4, i hate them!

Last edited by _D17A2_; 11-10-2005 at 07:26 PM.
Old 11-10-2005
BLDNPSI Mod

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
Not to diss your current kit cause i think it looks AWESOME. But my LX with a GT28R on the HKS cast with auto trans @7psi out did yours on the dyno. IMO i think there could be some great potential with the HKS set-up. Granted you'll never see the BIG hp numbers as with an EL or even a GOOD log style
Old 11-10-2005
7thgen Power Maker

Originally Posted by tfnaaf
Not to diss your current kit cause i think it looks AWESOME. But my LX with a GT28R on the HKS cast with auto trans @7psi out did yours on the dyno. IMO i think there could be some great potential with the HKS set-up. Granted you'll never see the BIG hp numbers as with an EL or even a GOOD log style
I used a T3 Super 60 with 8 PSI on an OK tune. I was also on a dyno in my town that was known for understating power. That was on our Beta kit. We are now on version 2. I wish I woulda redyno'd with this kit.

Last edited by dezod; 11-10-2005 at 09:29 PM.
Old 11-10-2005
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
ok, i clicked other and here is why.
i like your stage one turbo setup- the t3/t4 is the selling point
i want the EX downpipe requirements to not cost 260 bucks extra just cause i have an EX. i guess 150 is ok, but still.
i love that a turbo timer is only 80 bucks in this kit.
Boost controller- i wish it was better price for a kit. but i guess its my choice to take it from you or buy on my own. scince it is a KIT. i would probably get it from you for less hassle.
RSX injectors-330- would that be enough? or is 400cc better for this kind of application?
and what about your equal length Turbo exhaust manifold? is that an option?
if the price was lower, i would start a turbo fund. definitley. don't get me wrong, im not trying to be a cheap bastard, im just sayin it would be sweet as **** to be boosted for an unbelievable price
Old 11-10-2005
7thgen Power Maker

Originally Posted by MajinB
ok, i clicked other and here is why.
i like your stage one turbo setup- the t3/t4 is the selling point
i want the EX downpipe requirements to not cost 260 bucks extra just cause i have an EX. i guess 150 is ok, but still.
i love that a turbo timer is only 80 bucks in this kit.
Boost controller- i wish it was better price for a kit. but i guess its my choice to take it from you or buy on my own. scince it is a KIT. i would probably get it from you for less hassle.
RSX injectors-330- would that be enough? or is 400cc better for this kind of application?
and what about your equal length Turbo exhaust manifold? is that an option?
if the price was lower, i would start a turbo fund. definitley. don't get me wrong, im not trying to be a cheap bastard, im just sayin it would be sweet
as **** to be boosted for an unbelievable price
400cc would have to be run with a different fuel rail and IM.

Our EL manifold will be an option VERY soon. We are considering making the catless downpipe for the EX an included option, but it costs us literally $125 in materials. We make next to nothing on those downpipe pieces. That cat on the catted piece, runs us $110 alone.
Old 11-10-2005

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
thanx for explaining, and i will be waiting on that EL manifold. maybe for my 21st Bday i will start a BOOST fund.
Old 11-10-2005
Registered!!

h-towntxn is an unknown quantity at this point
good stuff.. i was just about to get rid of my 01 lx,and buy an older civic to fix up .everything for this car costs to much for this model .that's not a bad price for the turbo kit.. but i'll probally do better by ripping that motor out and installing a si motor
Old 11-10-2005
Registered!!

kileryoyo is an unknown quantity at this point
Would you ever think about selling the kit sans the turbo? I have a brand new t3/t4 45 trim sitting in a box right now. It is the 4 bolt flange on the down pip and the standard t3 flange on the engine side.
Old 11-10-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
I'm just kinda thinking the Mazdaspeed mentality here. Not so much as "lets throw a turbo kit together" as much as low boost, fun factor. I'm gonna be totally honest. I know there are people who want to run a million PSI and put 250 down just to say they did it, but lets face it, a lot of us would he happy if you made what I'd call a "rat race" kit with a little turbo that pushed 4-6 lbs almost instantly that didn't require lots of obscene stuff... basically put a turbo on, do the plumbing, make the necessary computer adjustments and go, something without a necessity to make major changes to the car like fuel returns (or any mods to it at all), internal work (besides a clutch) or any of that crap, that would just make this bucket of **** a little more fun to drive around, sold it for 2 grand or less, I think you'd have some happy people. Little turbo, little intercooler, still need an e-manage I guess, plumbing shouldn't have to change much, you can use the HKS manifold if it works and it costs less, whatever else, just downsized to work for fun.
Seriously, I'd buy a kit that put 150 to the ground if it ran reliably and didn't cost a whole lot of money to do, cuz the $4000+ it takes right now is whats keeping me off the boat at the moment. This car doesn't need a lot of power to be fun, it just needs enough to keep the car moving along.
Oh, I checked the other box. Whether or not you keep the original kit out is up to you. I'm all in favor of a reliable ghetto kit though.

Last edited by Boilermaker1; 11-10-2005 at 11:07 PM.
Old 11-10-2005
Premium Member

dopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Boilermaker1
Seriously, I'd buy a kit that put 150 to the ground if it ran reliably and didn't cost a whole lot of money to do, cuz the $4000+ it takes right now is whats keeping me off the boat at the moment. This car doesn't need a lot of power to be fun, it just needs enough to keep the car moving along. Whether or not you keep the original kit out is up to you. I'm all in favor of a reliable ghetto kit though.
I second this!
Old 11-10-2005
Boobies are the mans tinkertoys

dp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to behold
I third
Old 11-11-2005

well i fourth it. scince a t4 is a decent sized turbo, as long as thats there a small setup is a very nice thought! 2k for a small turbo setup, **** i would start a turbo fund for that
Old 11-11-2005
Ride BMX

Mutha Fn FBM 85 will become famous soon enoughMutha Fn FBM 85 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by MajinB
well i fourth it. scince a t4 is a decent sized turbo, as long as thats there a small setup is a very nice thought! 2k for a small turbo setup, **** i would start a turbo fund for that

I fifth it. I really want to turbo too but when I see the price I think it isn't worth it. Especially because the kit isn't the only thing you buy.. there is a lot you have to do to maintain your car to keep it in runing condition. Tuning, gas, tranny, blah, and blah.
Old 11-11-2005
PWIT

CenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond repute
I'm just kinda thinking the Mazdaspeed mentality here. Not so much as "lets throw a turbo kit together" as much as low boost, fun factor. I'm gonna be totally honest. I know there are people who want to run a million PSI and put 250 down just to say they did it, but lets face it, a lot of us would he happy if you made what I'd call a "rat race" kit with a little turbo that pushed 4-6 lbs almost instantly that didn't require lots of obscene stuff... basically put a turbo on, do the plumbing, make the necessary computer adjustments and go, something without a necessity to make major changes to the car like fuel returns (or any mods to it at all), internal work (besides a clutch) or any of that crap, that would just make this bucket of **** a little more fun to drive around, sold it for 2 grand or less, I think you'd have some happy people. Little turbo, little intercooler, still need an e-manage I guess, plumbing shouldn't have to change much, you can use the HKS manifold if it works and it costs less, whatever else, just downsized to work for fun.
Seriously, I'd buy a kit that put 150 to the ground if it ran reliably and didn't cost a whole lot of money to do, cuz the $4000+ it takes right now is whats keeping me off the boat at the moment. This car doesn't need a lot of power to be fun, it just needs enough to keep the car moving along.
Oh, I checked the other box. Whether or not you keep the original kit out is up to you. I'm all in favor of a reliable ghetto kit though.

AMEN! i want a turbo, my car is a DD, i NEVER bring it to the track and i dont street race, so i want a turbo for alittle bit of a kick you know. i would love to put 250 down. but like boilermaker said, i just want it for fun.
Old 11-11-2005
7thgen Power Maker

So, in all, you guys want boost for ULTRA cheap. I do not know if we could ever get it down to $2K unless we used mild steel for everything, and even still if it would come down that cheap. We could probably do a low boost intercooler-less kit for cheap.

It does not necessarily take you $4K to boost right now. Our core kit, now is $2875. Pick that up with our catless downpipe and an e-manage, some used RSX injectors, and O2 sim and voila your boosted for well under $4k! The kit is expandable too.

One of the major problems with CHEAP boost is: the turbo, manifold & the oil lines alone already bring us to half of that $2K, if not a little more. We still did not buy: e-manage, the bov, intercooler, clamps and couplers, bolts, materials for the charge piping, then bending it all up, packaging it, labor for everyone involved and now your back up to almost $3K.

If we left out the e-manage and let you guys get it, that cuts a couple hundred off the price. If we left out an intercooler and set the turbo for low boost, now we can do a little over $2K.
Old 11-11-2005
Registered!!

tuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to all
now what have we learned....??
Old 11-11-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by dezod
So, in all, you guys want boost for ULTRA cheap. I do not know if we could ever get it down to $2K unless we used mild steel for everything, and even still if it would come down that cheap. We could probably do a low boost intercooler-less kit for cheap.

It does not necessarily take you $4K to boost right now. Our core kit, now is $2875. Pick that up with our catless downpipe and an e-manage, some used RSX injectors, and O2 sim and voila your boosted for well under $4k! The kit is expandable too.

One of the major problems with CHEAP boost is: the turbo, manifold & the oil lines alone already bring us to half of that $2K, if not a little more. We still did not buy: e-manage, the bov, intercooler, clamps and couplers, bolts, materials for the charge piping, then bending it all up, packaging it, labor for everyone involved and now your back up to almost $3K.

If we left out the e-manage and let you guys get it, that cuts a couple hundred off the price. If we left out an intercooler and set the turbo for low boost, now we can do a little over $2K.
Well let me ask you something though. Why MUST you use stainless? I understand that it looks pretty, but I see no real functional reason that stainless must be used. The use of steel or cast iron I don't think would functionally cause an issue beyond the fact that it rusts, but a Jet Hot coating (customer applied if desired) would solve that. What would molded plastic IC plumbing do (like most of the stock cars these days) I have no idea what an intercooler costs, but I shouldn't think you need a large one. I don't think its smart to use no intercooler. If nothing else, a side mount should be in there, we don't need engines blowing up. Something that covered 1/2 that front opening should be enough to do the job for low boost (like a MS Miata), or even... dare I say it, top mounted where the resonator is under the hood; it could easily be fed from underneath. The e-manage is what? 300 bucks for the gizmo itself? And the goal is to avoid stuff like RSX injectors and crap. O2 sim, yeah ok, $50. a BOV doesn't seem to be a necessity in the kit, given the price variation in those... leave a flange, let people pick or make it a kit option. I'd rather use a DV anyways (no sense wasting boost).
I know, now I'm designing my own kit rather than making suggestions, but I'm just throwing something out there. What does the turbo itself cost? I know thats the big ticket item in the whole kit.
Old 11-11-2005
Registered!!

R3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to all
when it comes down to it, it's all about the money. not many people are willing to spend $5000 on a turbo setup for their civic. id love to turbo mine, but with the all the hassell that comes along with that at the end of the day i think id rather just wait for an s2000.
Old 11-11-2005
7thgen Power Maker

Well let me ask you something though. Why MUST you use stainless? I understand that it looks pretty, but I see no real functional reason that stainless must be used. The use of steel or cast iron I don't think would functionally cause an issue beyond the fact that it rusts, but a Jet Hot coating (customer applied if desired) would solve that. What would molded plastic IC plumbing do (like most of the stock cars these days) I have no idea what an intercooler costs, but I shouldn't think you need a large one. I don't think its smart to use no intercooler. If nothing else, a side mount should be in there, we don't need engines blowing up. Something that covered 1/2 that front opening should be enough to do the job for low boost (like a MS Miata), or even... dare I say it, top mounted where the resonator is under the hood; it could easily be fed from underneath. The e-manage is what? 300 bucks for the gizmo itself? And the goal is to avoid stuff like RSX injectors and crap. O2 sim, yeah ok, $50. a BOV doesn't seem to be a necessity in the kit, given the price variation in those... leave a flange, let people pick or make it a kit option. I'd rather use a DV anyways (no sense wasting boost).
I know, now I'm designing my own kit rather than making suggestions, but I'm just throwing something out there. What does the turbo itself cost? I know thats the big ticket item in the whole kit.
A BOV is a necessity period. How do you expunge the additional pressure in the charge pipes when you back off the throttle?

Plastic piping is pretty expensive to do. It can't just be some generic plastic, it has to be an ultra high temp kind to withstand all the heat. We can do mild steel but it will begin to rust easily. That is why we elect to use stainless. It costs a little more, but preserves the unit.

With respect to the manifold, it would be casted iron (the HKS one).

I hate to say it, but there is no real way to avoid larger injectors because our stock 240cc are so damn small. You would max them out in 2-3 PSI.

With respect to an intercooler, we would use a much smaller one with a smaller turbo. The large one we have now, is because of the much larger T3/T4 that flows sick amounts of air.

A brand new Garrett turbo can run from $650-1000 depending upon model, size, A/R, ball bearing or not.....

Last edited by dezod; 11-11-2005 at 09:25 AM.
Old 11-11-2005
Nothing works better than a Chris except a Honda.

CivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of light
I've been reading up on this stuff and it is interesting.

I am one of the members that drive a 7th gen becuause it was a "reasonable" decision to purchase. I would like to see a small turbo kit that could do 150+ hp at the wheels for around 2k to make the car just a tad more fun.

Buying a ton of components for a car sounds like a huge turn-off. Paying an arm and a leg for car parts is a huge turn-off.

In a couple of years, if I'm still rocking the Civic and my job pays the big-bucks, I'd def. go for a cheap turbo for a sporty everyday ride.
Old 11-11-2005

here is an idea i got from readin DEZODs post. i know your a reputable company, but can you sell used setups? i mean im sure alot of people want to get rid of there ****, you could give us the option of ordering USED RSX injectors like you suggested. maybe some other stuff. IDK. its a thought though.
Old 11-11-2005
Wicked Pissah Admin

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Havok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant future
One thing that might help the total cost is the money on the fuel system. One reason that Stafford's kit sold well was because of a $150 fuel system. It wasn't the best setup by any means, but people ran fast with it. The dezod solution is e-manage and RSX injectors which could come out to much more than the SF kit. Is it better? Hell yes.

Same goes with the TSI fuel system. Another cheap, yet working, alternative.

Just an idea on how to get everything a little cheaper...

Last edited by Havok2k1; 11-11-2005 at 10:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Poll: D17 Stuff **future boosters, please enter**