Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Dh-racing 74mm Billet Throttle Body Combo

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004
Skyline R33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
guns is an unknown quantity at this point
I have not had the coolant running through my TB since my car was new. I live in the South and the heat cooks down here. I have not had any idle problems. I also run IK24's and still have a solid idle. So bypassing the coolant lines on the TB are good for me and most boards including this one has a DIY for this mod. Here is the link.

http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...threadid=26126

SO I am not the only one. Just like the AIT mod I have. I do not run a AIT sensor. It is just a resister in the plug. I did not want to chance a boost leak by drilling the charge tube.

As far as the heads you have to tune. Maybe she was running lean. My first dyno was lean and only 186hp with tuning and running too rich I got 220 hp. Also Josh recommended having your gaskets and manifolds port match. He advertized port matched gaskets for $50. I know Catalyst (SF) port matched his manifolds and gaskets.

I think the shops are at fault. They are bolting on parts without even inspecting them. It is important to port match the manifold. There is no cost saving route around that. Just like dyno tuning. It is a must.

Last edited by guns; 05-02-2004 at 10:47 PM.
Old 05-02-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
I never heard about those port matched gaskets or I would have gotten one. Is it something an install shop can do? Also, what about port matching the header? Thanks for the info.
Old 05-02-2004
Skyline R33

Originally posted by gearbox
I never heard about those port matched gaskets or I would have gotten one. Is it something an install shop can do? Also, what about port matching the header? Thanks for the info.
Hey bro,
Save your money and buy a good dremel. PLace the headgasket on the head and mark it to the size of the opening. Port match it to the head. Then place the gasket on the manifold and mark the manifold. Carefully dremel out the edge to make a smooth transition. Be carefull of the welds. Dont go too big. Just make a smooth surface for the air to flow into. If the opening is alot bigger than the stock head gasket you might have to go with a copper one and port match it.
Good luck and place install your head and send back the core. I am stuck on my project with out it.

Just a note. I smoked an all motor GSR tonight. I made a custom N2O intercooler sprayer out of Ice-maker copper tubing and a used dry N2O kit. Worked out good. I think some of the spray gets pulled into the airintake for a little bit of kick also. But after the run the intercooler felt like an icebox. The GSR was stock motor with I/H/E. He recently smoked a VW Gti and was feeling brave.
Old 05-03-2004
Registered!!

greg2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
I hope nobody actually thinks a 1.7liter needs a 74mm freakin throttlebody! your gonna probably loose power it's so big
Old 05-03-2004
Skyline R33

Originally posted by greg2k1
I hope nobody actually thinks a 1.7liter needs a 74mm freakin throttlebody! your gonna probably loose power it's so big
I plan on going fully built, pnp head, cam, turbo, etc....
If an all motor SOHC CRX can hit 10's, I think boosted on built engine can hit 11's.

Just think, imagine peoples faces when a SOHC 7thgen spanks their turbo'd B18 swap.

With just turbo I have spanked the all motor B18's I have come across.

More air+fuel=power.

So I think if you plan to go all out the TB will help.
Old 05-03-2004
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, the TB will definately help more on turbo apps. I will see about getting the port matching done next week and hopefully the install, too.
Old 05-03-2004
Premium Member

Project2k2 is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by guns
Just a note. I smoked an all motor GSR tonight. I made a custom N2O intercooler sprayer out of Ice-maker copper tubing and a used dry N2O kit. Worked out good. I think some of the spray gets pulled into the airintake for a little bit of kick also. But after the run the intercooler felt like an icebox. The GSR was stock motor with I/H/E. He recently smoked a VW Gti and was feeling brave.
That's exactly what I am doing. My friend bought a very night dremmel and I am using that to port match. Hopefully I will see some nice gains once I tune with the SAFCII.
Old 05-03-2004
Registered!!

red02 is an unknown quantity at this point
hey all, correction.... if you bought this lie of a setup on a credit card you can refuse the shipping since you never recieved the merchandise in the expected time frame. I still cant believe after i diputed this they tried to make it right and still sent the tb without the manifold.
Old 05-03-2004
Premium Member

just got mine about 10 min ago. Looks big. LoL.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	tb 001.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	28494  
Old 05-03-2004
Premium Member

and another of the logo that so many of you dispise

Name:	tb 002.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	28495  
Old 05-03-2004
Premium Member

under side plus parts

Name:	tb 003.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	28496  
Old 05-03-2004
Registered!!

Ershall is an unknown quantity at this point
Heh, I'd file the logo off....fvck free advertizing.
Old 05-03-2004
Premium Member

it will actually be upside down when I put it on. I don't think they knew that.
Old 05-03-2004
Skyline R33

You might find a cheap KMS intake manifold on here. I thought about buying one. You could easily get that TB to bolt up to it. You would have to dremel the hell out of the IM to port match it to the size of that huge TB.

Good luck.
Old 05-03-2004
Registered!!

Crackhead79 is an unknown quantity at this point
-

Originally posted by Project2k2
under side plus parts
hey 2k2 - you didn't get the TPS did you with those lil bolts and clamps and such with your did you?
Old 05-03-2004
Premium Member

nope, he said that they made it so the TPS can bolt right up to it.
Old 05-03-2004
Skyline R33

Originally posted by Project2k2
nope, he said that they made it so the TPS can bolt right up to it.
Everything bolts up just fine except for the air idle sensor. That is where the spacer is supposed to come in and have an adapter for the sensor. The coolant bypass is good for most people and is a common mod. Like I said I would look for KMS IM here and make a deal with someone who got stuck with one. You could match it up easily and the straight runners should give you the space needed to clear the fuel rail. The stock fuel rail and stock IM do not give you enough room to fit this large of a TB on it.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 05-03-2004
Registered!!

opto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura about
Everything bolts up just fine except for the air idle sensor. That is where the spacer is supposed to come in and have an adapter for the sensor. The coolant bypass is good for most people and is a common mod. Like I said I would look for KMS IM here and make a deal with someone who got stuck with one. You could match it up easily and the straight runners should give you the space needed to clear the fuel rail. The stock fuel rail and stock IM do not give you enough room to fit this large of a TB on it.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Guns - please stop posting misinformation. The so called "coolant bypass" you keep referring to is wrong. As I have stated before, the coolant lines run to the throttle body NOT to heat up the butterfly or prevent it from sticking. The coolant lines run to the IACV as a feedback to the ECU - it simply tells the car that it has reached proper temperature, and tells the IACV to actuate.
Old 05-03-2004
Skyline R33

Originally posted by opto_isolator
Guns - please stop posting misinformation. The so called "coolant bypass" you keep referring to is wrong. As I have stated before, the coolant lines run to the throttle body NOT to heat up the butterfly or prevent it from sticking. The coolant lines run to the IACV as a feedback to the ECU - it simply tells the car that it has reached proper temperature, and tells the IACV to actuate.
Back when a moderator made posted this mod in the DIY forum you were not there crying. Dh has this mod and you cry foul. Dude you are the one posting bad info. This mod has been around for a while here on this board. It has been tried and it works. So stop posting just to bash one companies ideas. I guess you dont know about the search button. Here is the link from this website for the DIY mod. I never saw you posting on this thread and saying that it was DH racings idea and that it would not work. Dude get a life and dont just bash without thinking or searching for the correct info.

Old 05-03-2004
Registered!!

opto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura about
Back when a moderator made posted this mod in the DIY forum you were not there crying. Dh has this mod and you cry foul. Dude you are the one posting bad info. This mod has been around for a while here on this board. It has been tried and it works. So stop posting just to bash one companies ideas. I guess you dont know about the search button. Here is the link from this website for the DIY mod. I never saw you posting on this thread and saying that it was DH racings idea and that it would not work. Dude get a life and dont just bash without thinking or searching for the correct info.

You truly are a dumbass - do yourself a favor and buy a helm manual for your car, it will appreciate it.

In regards to that DIY, I was not a member of this site at that time. As far as it being "tried and working," I frankly don't care what you do to fck up your engine. I'm just sick of the crap that gets posts here because people think that by doing something they will gain HP. The IACV is one of the key devices in controlling the idle of your car. If you remove the coolant lines that go to it - your car is never going to think it has reached operating temperature and lower the idle......
Old 05-03-2004
Skyline R33

Just for all the haters here is a pick that was posted over a year ago. I have not seen any posts of problems with this so after a year of field trials I would say it works without problems. So where is the miss information?

Last edited by guns; 05-03-2004 at 08:48 PM.
Old 05-03-2004
Skyline R33

Originally posted by opto_isolator
You truly are a dumbass - do yourself a favor and buy a helm manual for your car, it will appreciate it.

In regards to that DIY, I was not a member of this site at that time. As far as it being "tried and working," I frankly don't care what you do to fck up your engine. I'm just sick of the crap that gets posts here because people think that by doing something they will gain HP. The IACV is one of the key devices in controlling the idle of your car. If you remove the coolant lines that go to it - your car is never going to think it has reached operating temperature and lower the idle......
Again I post facts and proof. You posted name calling. Dude realy, STFU

EDITED FOR A SECOND TIME BECAUSE OF INAPPROPRIATE MATERIAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Havok2k1; 05-03-2004 at 08:54 PM.
Old 05-03-2004
Premium Member

What opto is saying is almost like having a broken thermostat. The car will never realize it's at operating temperature, even though it actually is. It's not good for the car at all.
Old 05-03-2004
Registered!!

Again I post facts and proof. You posted name calling. Dude realy, STFU
Boy - I guess even the SE-R guys get it, why don't you?

http://www.se-r.net/engine/about_iacv.html

Guys from SAAB forums get it:

http://www.swedishwrench.com/enginemng_1.htm

Even Ford guys get it (which is surprising, but of course they are european - so they know ****):

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/pooridle.htm

What don't you understand?
Old 05-03-2004
Premium Member

Umm Josh said that the IACV will also be on the spacer...and also, what's with the clearance....this won't fit the stock fuel rail? WTF?
Old 05-03-2004
Skyline R33

Has anyone besides me tried to install the DH-tb? If so what did you use a stock IM or a custom one like the KMS. If you went custom, how long did the intake runners need to be to give clearence for the fuel rail? Dh is fabricating spacers to allow this to fit on stock IM. But it was just brought to my attention that other members have this TB already installed. Your input would be appretiated.
Old 05-03-2004
Premium Member

if the spacer fixes the clearance problem then I am strait.
Old 05-03-2004
Registered!!

Dude get a life and dont just bash without thinking or searching for the correct info.

WTF are you babbling about? Did he mention how he thinks DH sucks in that entire post? can you even find him bash DH? He is not bashing the product you fawkin reject...he's is throwing out potential problems that may be caused by using this TB (the fact that DH put the TB out, while typical, is irrelevent). Opto is getting these facts by looking at a pic of the TB...not by thinking about how much Dave's an *** or Josh is a lying *****. He has a valid point and anyone who plans to perform this install just MIGHT like to listen. Stop discounting his opinion because you are willing to risk your engine to get a few more HP.
Old 05-03-2004
Registered!!

OH, he's not bashing them..but I am....WHY THE F*CK DIDN"T THEY PERFORM ENOUGH R&D TO NOT NEED A SPACER ONCE AGAIN!?
Old 05-03-2004
Premium Member

Josh says they did:

Now AVAILABLE, As Promised. Our 74mm Billet Throttle Body Combo For Your D17 Motor. We spent a lot of time working on this and making it perfect for your setup.
I guess something happened?

Quick Reply: Dh-racing 74mm Billet Throttle Body Combo