Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Dh-racing 74mm Billet Throttle Body Combo

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004
mig
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mig is an unknown quantity at this point
what's the purpose an idle air valve?

what is the size of our current, factory throttle body?

is our stock engine management system going to adjust well to this presumably large flow change?
Old 02-28-2004
Your Parts Guy

StreetLevelPerformance is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by mig

is our stock engine management system going to adjust well to this presumably large flow change?
About the stock ECU (management system); I pretty sure it would hold up just fine if it can handle 5 psi before it needs help. But like anything I would get some sort of EMS and tune it to really reach it's potential.

Josh hit us up with a dyno chart for a d17.

Last edited by StreetLevelPerformance; 02-28-2004 at 09:50 AM.
Old 02-29-2004
Registered!!

red02 is an unknown quantity at this point
next question: do i or we need an adapter for our cold air intakes to get the 3'' piping to fit on top of the throttle body? thanx for your help. p.s. see you soon, ill probably be your first walk in customer for a ported head hehe
Old 02-29-2004
Registered!!

opto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by mig

Looking at the helm manual, it appears that the IAC is meant to prevent vapor lock. The IAC takes a small amount of air and routes it around the throttle plate, passing it by a small chamber which is heated by engine coolant.

Don't forget that the EVAP purge valve is also mounted to the stock throttle body.

For those of you who get this setup, it looks good - but remember this isn't going to be a great daily driver - most likely for track use.....
Old 02-29-2004
Registered!!

mlovela is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry double post.

Last edited by mlovela; 02-29-2004 at 07:14 PM.
Old 02-29-2004
Registered!!

mlovela is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by opto_isolator
"Looking at the helm manual, it appears that the IAC is meant to prevent vapor lock. The IAC takes a small amount of air and routes it around the throttle plate, passing it by a small chamber which is heated by engine coolant.

Don't forget that the EVAP purge valve is also mounted to the stock throttle body.

For those of you who get this setup, it looks good - but remember this isn't going to be a great daily driver - most likely for track use....."
Not sure what all this means?

Josh what do you think about this reply, my Civic is my daily driver just wanted to see your take on this.
Old 02-29-2004
mig
Registered!!

mig is an unknown quantity at this point
I second that. Want more horsepower, but not at the expense of drivability. Why add 20-30 hp and get a poor running car. I was fully prepared to get this, and e-manage or whatever, but not if car runs like ****. More information on this would be appreciated.
Old 02-29-2004
Registered!!

ponyman is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by red02
next question: do i or we need an adapter for our cold air intakes to get the 3'' piping to fit on top of the throttle body? thanx for your help. p.s. see you soon, ill probably be your first walk in customer for a ported head hehe
We shouldn't because 74mm divided by 25.4mm/inch equals approx. 2.91 inches, so in theory we should be fine as long as the outside diameter isn't too much larger than our adapter hoses we have now to go between the CAI and TB. So, I guess the question is Josh, what is the outside diameter of the TB? And ppl with calipers what is the inside diameter of our adapter hoses?

Also, what about the cruise control issue, will there be an adapter available so that we can continue to use our cruise control?
Old 03-01-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice
Looking at the helm manual, it appears that the IAC is meant to prevent vapor lock. The IAC takes a small amount of air and routes it around the throttle plate, passing it by a small chamber which is heated by engine coolant.

For those of you who get this setup, it looks good - but remember this isn't going to be a gre
at daily driver - most likely for track use.....
the evap purge is just mounted to the throttke body it does not have to be.
the iac lets a small amount of air passed the thrttle plate when closed to control the idle and not let it bog down when the engine is under load...A/c on alt charging turning the steering wheel at idle(power steering) or when the engine is cold.
Old 03-01-2004
Banned

DhRacingJosh is an unknown quantity at this point

For those of you who get this setup, it looks good - but remember this isn't going to be a great daily driver - most likely for track use.....
TRACK USE? What are you talking about. This is a minor modification. Hardly anything that will prevent anyone from driving this daily. I along with many people drive built motors daily, and a ported head, manifold combo and pulley also maybe a lightened flywheel is the perfect all motor daily driver setup. Plenty of power and not even phasing the reliability of the car. Please don't give people the wrong impression, this in no way is going to be for track use only, if you only had this on your car it will give you some power, and you wouldn't even notice a difference in maintenance.
Old 03-01-2004
Banned

This is what I don't want from bleek comments without knowledge behind them. This is not going to effect drivability at ALL. Very minor upgrade and just adds power and air, compensate it with fuel and that's the only difference in the routine you will see. As for the cruise control, I don't see us making anything for that, so if you see that as a downfall I apologize. Maybe in the future.
Old 03-01-2004
Your Parts Guy

In colder climates people need to keep those coolant lines intact. Most people down south bypass it anyway. As for the evap I took it completely off of my LS swap and have had absolutely no problems.

The only way they can prove you wrong opto is by verifying that nothing will happen through testing. Has this combo been tested on a D17?
Old 03-01-2004
Registered!!

opto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by DhRacingJosh
This is what I don't want from bleek comments without knowledge behind them. This is not going to effect drivability at ALL. Very minor upgrade and just adds power and air, compensate it with fuel and that's the only difference in the routine you will see. As for the cruise control, I don't see us making anything for that, so if you see that as a downfall I apologize. Maybe in the future.

Josh, don't get me wrong buddy. I am not ripping on DH's products - in fact I think they are cool. I am just trying to make everyone AWARE of the fact that you WILL lose creature comforts with all of the add-ons you sell - PERIOD!

- No more cruise control
- No more PS
- Reduced AC
- Reduced Alternator output
- ETC

Most of the people on this board DO NOT KNOW THAT - and when they get their car put together MAY not want to lose those comforts (I being one). I bought a civic to be my daily driver. If I wanted a drag car I would have bought something else. Make parts which allow use to keep everything else and I guarentee you will get more buisness (including mine).

As far as the IAC valve, there really wasn't a big discription about it in the manual, so I went on my best judgement - granted I'm no expert Josh, but its not fair to accuse me of not knowing anything......That's pretty petty to call my comments bleek.
Old 03-01-2004
Banned

Ok we have been through this and the guys who have the pulley installed said they FELT NO DIFFERENENCE IN AC NOR PS, and added power, so that isn't true. No big deal Im not upset, but cruise control is the only thing you dont have the option of keeping with our parts.
Old 03-01-2004
Banned

It will be tested I believe by Guns, so lets see what happens. It will hold up for sure, lets see how he likes the power.
Old 03-01-2004
Registered!!

jrock2324 is an unknown quantity at this point
So how many people do you have so far for the TB? So I cant have my cruise control with the new TB?
Old 03-01-2004
Your Parts Guy

It will be tested I believe by Guns, so lets see what happens. It will hold up for sure, lets see how he likes the power.
So it wasn't tested in-house before being released to the public? I am anxious to see a dyno chart does Guns plan on making a few pulls?
Old 03-01-2004
Banned

It is just the same as any other manifold. The throttle body is bolted up just like normal, and the TPS works just fine, so it will work. I am just as eager to see the dyno pulls.
Old 03-01-2004
Premium Member

Project2k2 is on a distinguished road
well damnit, if my tax return would come in, everything would be fine, but NO! damn IRS has to take their time.
Old 03-02-2004
Skyline R33

guns is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by dober
So it wasn't tested in-house before being released to the public? I am anxious to see a dyno chart does Guns plan on making a few pulls?
I am still awaiting the throtle body and also my clutch and flywheel. On my day off thursday Speed Fetish will install them(if I get them by then). ONce everything gets tuned and running good, I will strap it to a dyno.

The numbers will be off for you NA guys, sorry. But you can compare my dyno with SF and see how much more hp I am making with the throtle body.
Old 03-02-2004
Registered!!

packer5346 is an unknown quantity at this point
hey guys, i'm just curious as to how much hp i can expect if i buy this billet throttle body combo and the dual groove crank pulley.
Old 03-03-2004
Skyline R33

Re: Re: I will be first.

You got it. Send payment to civicgos9s@aol.com for $565 shipped ($15 Credit Card Paypal Fee) I can have it out tomorrow if you want.
Dont mean to call you out like this. But I still have not recieved anything. please Pm me with the tracking numbers. It has been about a week and UPS usualy only takes three days.
Old 03-03-2004
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
I thought it takes time to make these things. Or are they already done and ready?
Old 03-03-2004
Banned

Re: Re: Re: I will be first.

Originally posted by guns
Dont mean to call you out like this. But I still have not recieved anything. please Pm me with the tracking numbers. It has been about a week and UPS usualy only takes three days.
I dont know where UPS takes three days but unless you are right up the street that never happens. I sent it out, call me tomorrow, so I can give you the tracking numbers when Dave is around to get them. Thanks
Old 03-03-2004
Skyline R33

Re: Re: Re: Re: I will be first.

I dont know where UPS takes three days but unless you are right up the street that never happens. I sent it out, call me tomorrow, so I can give you the tracking numbers when Dave is around to get them. Thanks
No problem, as long as I have them by thursday. I promised the shop a full days work and they said they would schedule me in for the clutch/flywheel, TB and tuning. Thursday night if all goes well we will take it to the track for a little fun and to see what it can do legally.

Thanks for the fast reply and I will post results. There is no hurry on the heads. Take your time and have Dave work some of that VTEC magic you posted about on them
Old 03-03-2004
Banned

He will for sure. The heads are sick as Mike from SF, and Melissa have said. They are going to make some serious power. Everyone I really suggest sending us your turbo manifolds or headers or having someone port match them to the HUGE port we use on our heads. This will make for a lot more flow. Also, the exhaust manifold gasket will need to me matched. I am selling exhaust manifold gaskets all matched for $50.
Old 03-03-2004
Skyline R33

He will for sure. The heads are sick as Mike from SF, and Melissa have said. They are going to make some serious power. Everyone I really suggest sending us your turbo manifolds or headers or having someone port match them to the HUGE port we use on our heads. This will make for a lot more flow. Also, the exhaust manifold gasket will need to me matched. I am selling exhaust manifold gaskets all matched for $50.
Is it possible to port match myself using a dremel tool with grinder attachment. A friend told me that should do the trick. I guess I need to send you the $50 for the gasket either way.

I dont want to pull off my turbo to send you the manifold. I just got it working and it was a biatch to get it inthere the first time.
Old 03-03-2004
Banned

I would suggest doing the porting, but it's on you if something goes wrong. Just need to match the ports up a bit, so you gain the best overall power.
Old 03-03-2004
Skyline R33

I would suggest doing the porting, but it's on you if something goes wrong. Just need to match the ports up a bit, so you gain the best overall power.
Thats why I want to buy your gasket. I can just lie it on the headers and mark how much needs to be buffed out a little to avoid any obstructions going from big to small. I know this is important to a turbo because you need that exhaust to build the boost up quick to reduce lag. Or am I wrong.
Old 03-04-2004
Banned

Yes of course makes it very easy. I expected you to do that. You sound like you have confidence in doing it so go for it!

Quick Reply: Dh-racing 74mm Billet Throttle Body Combo