General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Custom Headliner?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007
The World Is Yours!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
burke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond repute
looks pretty coool... how hard... just put the glue on and apply
Old 02-14-2007
Registered!!

slickstarnz is an unknown quantity at this point
I made sure to wash the pieces very well with degreaser (you will be suprised how dirty they are even if you keep your interior pretty clean/not to mention if you have applied any oils or other chemicals), then rinsed with water, let dry, apllied adhesive and then laid the fabric over the adhesive. Finally pull the fabric tight around the edges (using more adhesive) and your done.
Old 02-14-2007
Registered!!

drivlikustoleit is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Mombo
How so will painting the interior plastic pieces be high maintenance? What about the dark gray vinyl pieces are you going to paint them as well?

Yeah the most common thing to happen is the paint chipping. I used Duplicolor Black Mica paint with ENAMEL clear coat. Laquer clear coat will possibly eat the paint. I already painted the A and C pillars and the panels under the B pillars, and one of the rear panels that you see when you open up the back doors. I got a small chip in the A pillar, but you can't see it, because it's in the area where it slides into the dash. I recently bought some adhesion promoter, dunno if it works well or not since I halted the project due to the cold, but I'm hoping it does. I plan on painting EVERYTHING, center console, rear deck, doors, etc. I think it'll look pretty sick.

But to answer your question about the dark grey panels, I did paint a couple of them, and they were no different from the light grey ones.

I saw somebody talking about vinyl dye... dunno how well that is. Test it out on a junk panel from a junkyard. I actually have a panel you can have to practice on if you wanna pay for the shipping the it's yours.
Old 02-15-2007
Registered!!

Mombo is an unknown quantity at this point
I am kinda considering doing this fabric wrapped pillar idea. I think that I could give it a try atleast and if it fails then scrub and paint it :P What exactly is the fabric is it something I could pick up from a normal fabric shop?

Also would the micro suede work for this your think? I have a **** load of it right now lol I did not realize how much I was buying. Or do you think its not stretchy enough?

edit: damn looking at those pics I really like the way that material looks :P Cant wait to go get some and give it a try if anyone knows the name of the type of fabric that would be good. Dont want to walk into the fabric store and say I need "black spandexy stuff" :P I might do a test run with some suede if I have time tomorrow since I have so much.

Last edited by Mombo; 02-15-2007 at 02:55 AM.
Old 02-15-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
microsuade would work, i've seen it done- just gotta worry about sunfade if you use a color... with black you dont gotta worry really, along with a neutral color like gray, or tan..
Old 02-15-2007
Registered!!

drivlikustoleit is an unknown quantity at this point
I haven't seen the fabric wrapped pillars in person, but Colombian4lyf posted pics of his wrapped pillars a few pages back and it looked real nice. Not something I'm inclined to do, since I would rather paint them, but that's just my personal preference. Whatever you do, do it right the first time. You'll not only appreciate it 'cuz of how damn pimp it looks but also because you won't have to do triple the work to fix it. IMO if it's not rice, and you do a clean job, everything looks better than stock.
Old 02-15-2007
Registered!!

Well I picked my fabric up from walmart (believe it or not thats the only place I could find this stuff) and the receipt says "POLY DK SOLI" dont know if that helps. And about the micro suede...any fabric will work really just so Its not too think and stretches a bit, you'll see why if you have some of the curves in your pillars that I have.
Old 02-15-2007
Registered!!

My car seems to have a **** load of curves so lol. I always have problems getting wrinkles in things when I try to wrap them. That was with some vinyl though on the inserts on my door. I havent had a go at the inserts yet with micro suede. I am going to give the pillars a try in micro suede if that doesnt work I will run to wally and see what they have as far as spandex like material. Spandex just sounds like its going to be super stretchy which might be really nice. I do like the feel of the suede though.
Old 02-15-2007
Registered!!

Its all about patience....just make sure to take your time and lay the fabric as flat as possible on them so you don't have to smooth many wrinles out. But when you do have them just start from the center and press/stretch them out but don't press too much or you might get some adhesive bleeding through
Old 02-15-2007
Registered!!

Cool ya I have alot of it taken out right now just chillin. I am cleaning all of it then I am just going to go at it all at the same time. Or as much of it as I can handle lol :P Trying to get my pillars, headliner, door inserts, and sun visors done!
Old 02-21-2007
Registered!!

Forgot who asked about painting the plastic pieces, but I tried the duplicolor vynel and fabric dye on the plastic pieces of the sunvisors...as well as part of the back seat I was amazed because after letting the plastic dry for a couple days I tried scratching it with my finger nails as hard as possible and it wouldn't scratch. As for the back seat it looks great as well (matches the fabric for the headliner) and is still soft.
Old 02-21-2007
Premium Member

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
whoa, u dyed it? Post up on that one!!
Old 02-21-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

LT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to all
yea i wanna see pics
Old 02-21-2007
Premium Member

slickstarnz, post damnit!
Old 02-21-2007
Registered!!

haha headed to class guys i'll post when I get back around 1:30pm eastern if I dont pass out when I get home.
Old 02-21-2007
Registered!!

Ok since Triz was crying like a baby I got these up sooner let me know what you think.

Old 02-21-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

LT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to all
very nice! i like

and u say its hard as crap to scratch off..
Old 02-21-2007
Registered!!

I've given it some good tries with my fingers and i finally used the point on some metal tweezers to dig into the plastic...yea that scratch it but hey what wouldn't at that point. So yea I put I few coats on my pieces with about 10mins in between each and then let them set for 3 days or so.
Old 02-21-2007
Premium Member

Oh man... I wanted pics of the back seat!!!
Old 02-21-2007
You Stay Classy, San Diego

jamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nice
wow that looks really good. And u say u used the Dupli-color vinyl dye. The same crap u can buy at walmart for like $10/can? I would really like to see the backseat
Old 02-21-2007
Premium Member

^ thats two in the chant, "backseat, backseat, backseat, backseat!!"
Old 02-21-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

i'll join the chant
Old 02-21-2007
Registered!!

the last two pics were of the side piece of the back seat (04 sedan). I don't have enough dye to do the whole thing yet. I just tried using it on the back of that piece at first before I ruined the whole back seat. I think I paid about $6 for a can of the stuff from advance.
Old 02-21-2007
Registered!!

cinaibur is just really nicecinaibur is just really nicecinaibur is just really nicecinaibur is just really nicecinaibur is just really nice
Slickstarnz, what kind of glue did you use?
Old 02-21-2007
Registered!!

Well for the visor and pillars I used the 3M adhesive everyone has mentioned (get it at Lowes/Home Depot), but the piece of the seat was dyed.
Old 02-21-2007
Premium Member

i thought u said you dyed the back seat- meaning the cushion? Did you?
Old 02-21-2007
Registered!!

the last two pics are of part of the backseat cushion. I have a sedan so that piece goes between the folding part of the seat and the door.
Old 02-21-2007
Premium Member

I am lost, where does that piece go- can u get a flix of it put back in the car? I been thinking about dyeing part of my seats, the center part where ya *** goes.. wanted to see what it looks like when other people dye their seats. I saw one pic back in the day of someone who went from tan, to totaly black, with red seats, looked kinda weird, so I'm wondering what it looks like
Old 02-21-2007
Registered!!

Yea i'll get that to you tomorrow, seeing as its dark now and everything is still sitting in my room.
Old 02-22-2007
Registered!!

Hey Trix if this doesn't make you happy PM me and we can work out you wiring me some money for supplies and I'll finish it this weekend to show you. So here it is sitting in the car...(top looks a little lighter because of the sun but the bottom is pretty close to the real color, in person its almost a perfect match)

Quick Reply: Custom Headliner?