General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Custom Headliner?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
drivlikustoleit is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by mr.rowdy
Man that Bride one is awesome

????
Old 01-12-2007
Dain Bramaged.

jester444 is an unknown quantity at this point
Bride= brand of racing seats
Old 01-12-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
I dont think the bride looks to good. Its different. But I dont care for it.

About to pull my car in the driveway and get to work on the tear down.
ITS 29 OUT!! BURRR
Old 01-12-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by jester444
Bride= brand of racing seats

Yeah I realized right after I posted my comment that an earlier post had some crazy headliner... looks bad ***... too much for me though.

drivlikustoleit= an obvious recreational fixer upper
Old 01-12-2007
Registered!!

sql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of light
Well the Bride headliner looks like the job was done well - but not my taste.
Old 01-13-2007
Premium Member

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
speaking of bride... umm, ahh, okay i'm going back out to yank the roof!
Old 01-14-2007
Premium Member

Originally Posted by drivlikustoleit
Anyone know about the mirrors on the visors? I got 'em cracked open and noticed the mirror trim is held in by these little plastic pieces that looks like they were secured the way a rivet would be. To me, the only way it seems you can get it out, would be to chisel off the plastic pieces and "glue" the mirror trim back in when completed. Or is it just possible to push the fabric up and under that trim with a putty knife, screwdriver, etc.?

You probably figured it out allready but here is what I did to get them off. I slid a chisel/puddy knife under there and just pryed them up a little bit. There really isnt any way to explain this, I just pushed and pulled and twisted them with some man power to get them out in one piece.

I'm at the point where I need to figure out how to get them back on. I see there as being three options.

1) Dont put them back on (possibly fit the gap with some carboard, foam, wood, ect.)
2) Shave some plastic in order to get them back in- from the front side, with the mirror cover allready hooked.
3) Grab a pair of pliers and modify them so the two arms are bent, and the hook is pulled out a litte so you can hook it and then tighten it down (this is the more difficult option). I will try this if I cant get number 2 to work.

Last edited by TRIZ; 01-14-2007 at 11:26 PM.
Old 01-15-2007
Premium Member

Well... Looks like I have a problem.

I dont know how to get the mirror cover back on.

I didnt use glue, well I did.. but none of this spray adhesive. I used a glue gun.

Opended visor, Yanked off fabric from the melted spikes. Then, I got the mirror accent and visor off by previous post. Went over to my sisters house and sew'd the microsuade to the OEM fabric. I've used hot glue to attach it back to the plastic skeleton. I have the bottom still open so I can reach in and take care of the mirror or whatever. I might need to undo some of whats attached, not really a big deal.

So... mirror door/cover/flap/ect- how the hell? I think if I put it back on the way it was, then the cover wont stay closed if someone needs the visor. Advice from thoes who have completed this?

Last edited by TRIZ; 01-15-2007 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-15-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by TRIZ
Well... Looks like I have a problem.

I dont know how to get the mirror cover back on.

I didnt use glue, well I did.. but none of this spray adhesive. I used a glue gun.

Opended visor, Yanked off fabric from the melted spikes. Then, I got the mirror accent and visor off by previous post. Went over to my sisters house and sew'd the microsuade to the OEM fabric. I've used hot glue to attach it back to the plastic skeleton. I have the bottom still open so I can reach in and take care of the mirror or whatever. I might need to undo some of whats attached, not really a big deal.

So... mirror door/cover/flap/ect- how the hell? I think if I put it back on the way it was, then the cover wont stay closed if someone needs the visor. Advice from thoes who have completed this?

I haven't attempted the mirrors yet still. Just by looking at it, I think I'm just going to wrap them with the new fabric and say f**k it to the mirrors. I don't use the thing, and the only one really in my car is the wife... and she rarely uses it. And to honestly think about, it's a mirror....is it really necessary in the first place? I'm going to attempt it just for ***** and giggles, we'll see what I come up with. . . but thanks for the info. ahead of time.
Old 01-18-2007
Registered!!

Just wanted to let everybody know that the DIY is in work. Sorry it's taking so long, but my work hours suck. I work from 11pm-8am, come home, sleep, eat and do it all over again... haven't even had time to work on the car since putting the headliner up.

Triz, you having problems with this thing? What kind of spray adhesive did you get? I got the 3M general trim adhesive and it worked like a champ. Two perpendicular coats on both the liner, and the material. I had a little left over so I just sprayed the rest on ther in an even coat just in case I missed some spots. Lemme know how it turns out.
Old 01-18-2007
Registered!!

Honda2k4 is an unknown quantity at this point
i just wanted to say thanks to everyone who contributes their time in posting diys and information on how they have done things such as this one, keep up the good work guys
Old 01-18-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Honda2k4
i just wanted to say thanks to everyone who contributes their time in posting diys and information on how they have done things such as this one, keep up the good work guys

DIY's are awesome... expressed gratitude like this is even better...
Old 01-19-2007
Registered!!

Colombian4Lyf is an unknown quantity at this point
regular suede is a lil more difficult, it does not stretch and tucking is a pain in the ***. I had it done to my headlining, visors, door panels, pillars, visors, outside cluster cover and shift boot. Had the seat inserts done too. Will be selling the car soon as is. I'll post an update soon. sorry for so many pics..
2001 CIVIC

Interior Pictures</b> <br>

<br>

Last edited by Colombian4Lyf; 01-19-2007 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-19-2007
Registered!!

Looks sharp. I like what you have done.

Could you shed some light on how to do the mirror trim on the visors?
Old 01-19-2007
Premium Member

damn dude... thats pretty damn nice. A little more material then I think I can handle in my car at the moment, but yours looks good. I wouldnt of done that peice between the seats near the floor in the back- my passangers are *******s and would probably fvck it up. But anyways- that is really clean!! Thoes seats look pretty good in leather. How much did that run you? and did you happen to do it yourself-- if so there will be a bunch more questions. (was the orig fabric taken off first?

as for my headliner- I have been pretty busy as well... I am in college- 4th year... to be honest I really havent been keeping myself busy, just stting back on this site watching all my work for this weekend pile up. I am getting over being sick. Anyways- I worked on my headliner last night and I'm about half way through. Had some issues, I'll resolve thoes later (bleed through up near the front- I think i'll just come back over with another color- maybe like the tan color (its just near the visors) I got my wheels turning on that one. I should post a pic and get some input. But I kept going and last night I pushed until I was pretty tired and managed to get halfway through. Let me snap a picture.

Two dots on the mirror attachment part ^^

Top right- ahh I fvcked that part up!!

Close up

All Good

Lower right^

Last edited by TRIZ; 01-19-2007 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01-19-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by TRIZ
How much did that run you? and did you happen to do it yourself-- if so there will be a bunch more questions. (was the orig fabric taken off first?
That red looks sweet, I already like the look of it and its not in the car yet.
The setup ran me $2000 back in 04. A friend of mine had the seats done and I helped him with the rest. The original material was not removed, we used an adhesive which was sprayed with a compressor.
I know what you mean about the center piece, I usually put a rag over to avoid that, good thing is suede is really easy to clean, not sure about the micro suede though. Any all purpose product used at detail shops along with a detail brush will get the job done on clean up. I've gotten ink out of the suede so imagine.
As far as the visors go, its pretty easy until you start tucking at the curves.
Take the visors off and while the mirror is facing you as if it was in the car, stick a flat head in the creases at the bottom all along the sides, there are clips there and it will open like a book. The part where the mirror is you will see the plastick welds welded (you'll know what I mean when you see it) you can break those off carefully and remove the mirror, wrap them in suede and put the mirror back, you can melt the plastic stems again, along with some hot glue and that will hold them in place. Hope that helps, any other questions let me know. I'll try to remember as much as I can.
Keep up the good work.
Old 01-19-2007
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Colombian4Lyf
As far as the visors go, its pretty easy until you start tucking at the curves.
Take the visors off and while the mirror is facing you as if it was in the car, stick a flat head in the creases at the bottom all along the sides, there are clips there and it will open like a book. The part where the mirror is you will see the plastick welds welded (you'll know what I mean when you see it) you can break those off carefully and remove the mirror, wrap them in suede and put the mirror back, you can melt the plastic stems again, along with some hot glue and that will hold them in place. Hope that helps, any other questions let me know. I'll try to remember as much as I can.
Keep up the good work.
Thanks you for the comment! I'll probably finish it up in the next few hrs now. Then look up a fabric store for some way to fix my mistakes up near where the visors are.

As far as the visors- I got all that done- my problem is getting the mirror back on, with the plastic flip cover- the metal clips are confusing. Thats what is my HUGE problem at the moment. I need an answer to that. Also... did you cut the fabric and glue it down behind the mirror, or just lay it on top of the fabric? I thoguht about both ways but havent touched it yet. My visors is open and mostly wrapped, just have this mirror part I gotta get back on.
Old 01-19-2007
Registered!!

The suede was wrapped right over the fabric. I cut the suede enough to cover along side of the mirror to be able to insert the plastic piece back in the holes that were there. This part I hated, it was a pain. The clips too, my driver side clip disappeared recently. Be careful when putting it back in, if you dont when you open the flip, clip might come out.
Old 01-19-2007
Registered!!

Damn Triz that **** is looking niiice. You're doing yours different than mine. I just kept the fabric whole, sprayed the whole thing with the adhesive and then "blanketed" it over the headliner. I worked my way from the middle out and then cut the holes for the lights and stuff afterwards. But that was just the way I did it... as I can see, your way is working just fine.

Thanks for the help columbian... I haven't attempted it yet, but your description is detailed enough to where I feel confident where I can do a good job.

+1 for you.
Old 01-19-2007
Premium Member

The suede was wrapped right over the fabric. I cut the suede enough to cover along side of the mirror to be able to insert the plastic piece back in the holes that were there. This part I hated, it was a pain. The clips too, my driver side clip disappeared recently. Be careful when putting it back in, if you dont when you open the flip, clip might come out.
this still isnt helping me... To get my mirror off and the clips and the flip and bezel in the first place, I had to pry the clips some to get it out. I covered it up, glued it down, and now I got the mirror I need to put back on... so what, put it back on with thoes fvcking clips and just be careful is what your telling me? You didnt modify it and use another type of hinge for the flip?
Old 01-19-2007
Premium Member

this still isnt helping me... To get my mirror off and the clips and the flip and bezel in the first place, I had to pry the clips some to get it out. I covered it up, glued it down, and now I got the mirror I need to put back on... so what, put it back on with thoes fvcking clips and just be careful is what your telling me? You didnt modify it and use another type of hinge for the flip?

I'm thinking about getting rid of the flip, and shaving the bezel down so its just the mirror... although that might be a bad idea down the line, but maybe not. Or what if i designed a way that the cover slid back inside.. hmmm

thoughts?
Old 01-19-2007
Registered!!

You got me on this one, I did this a long time ago. Sorry couldn't help. Basically you are putting back together in reverse of the way you took it off. If you dont remember, then your stuck. My passenger side is good, but not my driver side. Clip came off. Its just the mirror no cover.
Old 01-19-2007
Premium Member

^^ exactly what i'm worried about!! I hate thoes clips, as of now, I refuse to put them back on. I'm heading to home depot to check out some crap, and if i dont come up with anything i'm shaving thoes things. They are back up in portland and i'm in eguene for school (100 miles away) so I guess I have some before i saw off the top of the bezel, if anyone comes up with some ideas.
Old 01-19-2007
Registered!!

Worst comes to worst, just keep the mirrors off. How many times have you actually used them? I'm not fighting to get them back on. We'll see what happens on monday when I finally tear them off. I'll let you know if I find a convenient way to do it all. If not, we're bot S.O.L.
Old 01-21-2007
You Stay Classy, San Diego

jamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nice
Hey I was wondering if you could totally pull off the stock part with the cloth on it then get either some thick cardboard or thin mdf and then use the stock one as a template, trace it, cut it cover it in somethin soft then a nice layer of microsuede and you could staple it in the back. I stapled the vinyl to my wooferbox and it turned out amazing. Anyways then could you screw or even glue the piece of mdf or cardboard back where the original part was. I've taken off my door panels before, I just havent played around with the door inserts so i hope this makes sense.
Old 01-21-2007
Premium Member

Originally Posted by jamis33
Hey I was wondering if you could totally pull off the stock part with the cloth on it then get either some thick cardboard or thin mdf and then use the stock one as a template, trace it, cut it cover it in somethin soft then a nice layer of microsuede and you could staple it in the back. I stapled the vinyl to my wooferbox and it turned out amazing. Anyways then could you screw or even glue the piece of mdf or cardboard back where the original part was. I've taken off my door panels before, I just havent played around with the door inserts so i hope this makes sense.
I'll take this one!
Your going to run into several problems.

First, the door accents are not inserts at all. If you flip back a few pages in this thread, I posted a whole bunch of pics.
Second, when you get the door panel off, and have pulled the fabric off, you'll notice how it was on there in the first place. Sprayed with glue, and then tucked in the crack that surronds the cloth part of the door panel.
Third, for the above mentioned reason is why attaching fabric stapled to cardboard would look hella sloppy. --because of the edges.
Fourth, i think your going to get pretty agervated if you try stapling the plastic on your door panels.

The reason this worked great for your sub box is because A) you stapled into wood, and B) thats how the pros do it.

To visulize this a little better, picture a sheet of FLAT plastic- about the size of your door panel. Now, imagine a nike swoosh like blob in that plastic that is formed by a quarter inch vally. This is basically how your door panel is. Now picture stapling vinyl or fabric with cardboard to it... wouldnt look so hot would it- mainly because the edges wouldnt look very clean- and also screws and staples may be showing.

^^if you still cant visulize this, find a knife and head out to your door panel. Locate a poin along the top where the fabric meets the plastic (be sure to stay away from the armrest and controls because it doesnt exactly tuck in at these points). Insert the knife into the gab and you'll notice the quarter inch gap that i'm talking about. its hard to notice because the OEM fabric is backed by some think yellow foam which fills the gap up nicely.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you need more explanations
repppp
Old 01-21-2007
You Stay Classy, San Diego

jamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nice
ok thanks and repped so just to clarify you can still tuck the suede in that gap rite?
Old 01-21-2007
Premium Member

yep, microsuede is thinner then suede. I had to double it up because my first layer blead through with the spray adhesive!! Rediculous. Use elmers rubber cement, that 3m spray stuff is garbage. I also tryed contact cement from home depot- green container by dap, its milky, also not that great. Suede isnt going to be as streachy as microsuede either- just so ya know!
Old 01-21-2007
Registered!!

dabflyboy is an unknown quantity at this point
hey Colombian4lyf, were those seats done by Katzin?
Old 01-22-2007
Registered!!

yingjai is an unknown quantity at this point
hey Colombian4Lyf.. are those leather seats original for civics? i think i've only seen one in person and i can't tell whether 7th gens come with leather or not. just curious.

Quick Reply: Custom Headliner?