General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Custom Headliner?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
In the process of doing this, one door is done, but the glue bled through in some spots and turned black. Shiity, going do another layer of fabric with less adhesive spray now. fingers are crossed. BTW, no vinyl, microsuede. Very thin microsuede. taking pics too. dun dun dun, could be a disaster, or be the most awesome ever, we'll see.
Old 01-08-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alscrx is an unknown quantity at this point
Don't put a heavy coat of spray glue or it will bleed through!! The can says to spray both of whatever your sticking together, DO NOT DO IT THAT WAY! Just spray the new material and wait 1-2 minutes for it to get tacky before sticking it on the door. If you spray it and stick it on the door right away it will still be like liquid and will bleed through!
Old 01-08-2007
Registered!!

kasimmmmm has a spectacular aura aboutkasimmmmm has a spectacular aura aboutkasimmmmm has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Nas0827
I put blue microsuede up top and waiting to get around to doin the door panel inserts as well.

OT but is that your e90?
Old 01-08-2007
Premium Member

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
well.. I got it done, the passanger door at least. i was using the 3M stuff, number 80. **** got real sticky really quick, 1-2 minutes and it would be dry. I could only do about 6 inches of the door panel at a time before it dried up completely. The first time, whatever... **** the first layer of fabric, it looked like ****. So I cut another layer and went to work. Sadly to say, the number 80 didnt do the job. Fabric and fabric didnt stick. Didnt find that out until the last 1/4 section. Well, it did stick, but not enough around the edges. So I went back with rubber cemement to do the touch ups. Believe it or not, it worked much much much better for sticking fabric to fabric. The 3M stuff rulled all for the first layer. Two layers builds it up a little and makes it like the stock thickness almost. Feels good. Looks good I think. Tell me what you think!

Old 01-08-2007
Premium Member

Oh, I took pics after I ripped the old material off if anyone wants to take a look at how I did it. I'll post them if there is enough interest. Oh yeah, its a coupe btw if u cant tell (duh) most DIY out there were for the sedan so its a bitch to get the power window part off , but it can be done. Got pics of where the door clips are too and what they look like. PM me
Old 01-09-2007
Registered!!

drivlikustoleit is an unknown quantity at this point
I used some Loctite stuff for my headliner---- it blew. So I got some 3m (finally found some. it was a bitch to find). Cleaning up the headliner and trying all over again. I hope this 3m trim adhesive **** works... I'm more than ready to get this thing back in. Everybody's work looks awesome... I'll post pics. when I'm finally done. . .
Old 01-09-2007
Premium Member

Home depot has the 3M stuff you need. If you get the one that is over 80 (I used 80 for the door panel and it worked great for the first layer, but if you end up needing to do a second layer, it wont work in bonding fabrics together). 3M #80+ works like a magnet, one of the few spray adhesives that says on the front "for automotive headliners" Most say on the back that its not for automotive headliners, in the tiny print on the back next to the spanish section. Hope that helps.

Originally Posted by drivlikustoleit
I used some Loctite stuff for my headliner---- it blew. So I got some 3m (finally found some. it was a bitch to find). Cleaning up the headliner and trying all over again. I hope this 3m trim adhesive **** works... I'm more than ready to get this thing back in. Everybody's work looks awesome... I'll post pics. when I'm finally done. . .
Old 01-09-2007
The only Wyoming Redneck on here

2002civicLX2002 will become famous soon enough2002civicLX2002 will become famous soon enough
hey triz lets see some pics
Old 01-09-2007
Registered!!

hondoer27 will become famous soon enoughhondoer27 will become famous soon enough
My Headlinerand my shift boot are carbon fiber vinyl

Im in the prossess of doing my doors, a little harder to do than I thought it was going to be. (plus Im always busy)
Old 01-09-2007
Dain Bramaged.

jester444 is an unknown quantity at this point
Isn't it a little hard to shift with a Carbon Fiber shift boot? I mean, I've never used one, but I think that material's inherant rigidity would make changing gears a little different. Or do you just roll around in 2nd gear the whole time?
Old 01-09-2007
Registered!!

hondoer27 will become famous soon enoughhondoer27 will become famous soon enough
carbon fiber vinyl
Old 01-09-2007
Dear Mr. Toilet, I'm The S.H.I.T.

IrockCivics is a name known to allIrockCivics is a name known to allIrockCivics is a name known to allIrockCivics is a name known to allIrockCivics is a name known to allIrockCivics is a name known to allIrockCivics is a name known to all
My friend hes has burberry and vinly headliner and some suede but you cant see it in this pic

Old 01-09-2007
Premium Member

Post DIY microfiber door accent/insert w/ pics

Originally Posted by 2002civicLX2002
hey triz lets see some pics
I feel kind of bad posting this in the headliner thread, but if you cant do this, dont touch your headliner.

That said, here is a mini DIY (for the coupe)

Here is what you will need:
Trim panel remover (to get the door off)
Someway of getting the adhesive off (goo off, razor blade, lots of rubbing, heat gun, whatever- up to you)
Painters tape
Newspaper
Cardboard
Razorblade
Fabric
3M adhesive ( I used # 80)
Rubber cement
Putty knife
Phillips (to remove the door)
Flat head screwdriver (to get fabric tucked around the edge for that clean look)

Don’t have the door panel off? Go buy a "trim panel remover" from Napa or Shucks, they are like 10 bucks. There are other thread on here that explain this but real quick to save you guys some time…Unscrew everything you can from the door (two screws by the door handle behind a plate, removed the door handle), and then start from the bottom by the speaker and run the trim panel removed along the bottom until you bump into the clips, straddle them with the tip and apply some leverage and POP goes the clip. There are several around the door. I'll post a pic at the end of the clip placement.

This is a picture of the door panel off, power window part removed along with lower part (to get this off, you need force, you actually need to break it off, there is several rivets (three I believe) a hook, and another connector piece under the front armrest. For me, I broke this off thinking I needed to remove it to get the door off, which may be true now looking in hindsight, anyone know?? Good news is its not curtail and it will stay in place even with all this stuff broken (as long as you don’t break the hook it’ll be easier on you- which I didn’t break- its built pretty sturdy, but if it gets broken oh well, everything on the door is fixable with epoxy paste). If you want to fix it, which is recommended, pick up some epoxy paste that dries overnight at a hardware store. Mix it together with some putty knives and mold it around the broken pieces. Let t dry over night, and they are fixed. I can help you with this if you need more help.) I removed the fabric by just yanking it off starting at the power window area. I slid my trim panel remover in there to loosen it up and just started yanking. I removed the adhesive with some goo off (didnt work that great) so I moved to a razorblade, worked pretty well but time consuming. I took the panel outside and sprayed it down with water to removed the dust, chemicals, and all the other crap, followed by drying it off. In this picture, the arm rest is on, although its only held in by two metal clips on either side, one of which I broke, but patched back up with epoxy paste, dried rock hard- good as new. I put the armrest back on to see how far the fabric had to cover.

Tape all the areas off so you don’t get adhesive over spray. Don’t want your passengers arms sticking to your door!

I tested the adhesive spray on a large piece of cardboard I had laying around to see what the spray pattern was like and how I was going to work with it. It came out quick, and nothing like a spray paint can. But the important part was that I now knew what to expect. I also noticed how long it took before it dried up. Which for me, gave me about 30 seconds to lay the material down after finishing the spray. (Don’t worry about tucking the edges in as of now, we'll go back and push them in there with a putty knife or flathead screwdriver to get them in there) I realized I couldn’t do the entire panel with one spray, so I did it in sections. However many sections you do is up to you. I used cardboard to cover the fabric from over spray.

I had a friend helping me. He held the fabric up in one hand, and the cardboard in another, I sprayed and spread the adhesive with a finger, wiped it off real quick as he tossed the cardboard aside, and we laid the fabric down- he held it above and I slowly smoothed it over the adhesive area. At the end, I had about an extra inch of material left over, no biggie, just cut it off. Oh... I should mention here I used microsuade and started from the front of the panel and worked my way to the back.

Apparently, the fabric I had precut and set aside ended up touching some of the chemicals that I tried to remove the OEM adhesive with. Stained the fabric, which was covered up by the pocket on the door so I wasn’t too worried, but some of the adhesive actually bled through the fabric and made dark blotches. These coupled together pissed me off. To tuck the fabric in around the edge, I used a flat head screwdriver.

I turned away for a little bit and had my friend cut out a second piece of fabric for us to lay. As I’ve said in previous posts in this thread, the 3M # 80 does not work to bond two fabrics together. Rubber cement works wonders, with an amazing hold. Laying the fabric down was much easier because rubber cement doesn’t have over spray, and the previous over spray was dried, so spent less time worry about the fabric getting messed up.
<-- this was my first layer that got really fvked up

Now, before I show you what the final product looks like, I want to explain the clips real quick. Here is a picture of where the clip placemnt is. One clip near the bottom had broke off, oh well- I’m not running to Honda to get another one-my door will stay on as you can see by all the other clips. One other clip on the side stayed attached to the door (top right of the speaker). To get the clip out of the door, I just grabbed it with a pair of pliers and slid it back in the door. Following the door panel are some close ups of the two clips I’m talking about, you can see the difference.

Here is what it looked like with both layers on (using rubber cement for the second layer).

Hope that helped clarify any of the questions you guys with the coupes had that wanted to do microfiber. If not, I’m here for questions! Ahh I’m late for class, Rep appreciated!

Last edited by TRIZ; 01-09-2007 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-09-2007
Registered!!

CaTacL1sm will become famous soon enoughCaTacL1sm will become famous soon enough
+1 rep ^^^^^^^^

thats ****. looks awesome
Old 01-09-2007
Life Begins > 6800rpms

blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold
looks good meng
Old 01-10-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by TRIZ
Home depot has the 3M stuff you need. If you get the one that is over 80 (I used 80 for the door panel and it worked great for the first layer, but if you end up needing to do a second layer, it wont work in bonding fabrics together). 3M #80+ works like a magnet, one of the few spray adhesives that says on the front "for automotive headliners" Most say on the back that its not for automotive headliners, in the tiny print on the back next to the spanish section. Hope that helps.
Yeah it's great how they put some of the most important things in the smallest print in the least looked at spot. The Locktite stuff was specifically for headliners... I don't see how. I ended up picking up the 3m general trim adhesive and it worked like a champ... now I need another can for the visors and door panels... bitches are 15 bucks a pop Thanks for your help though

I can't really complain cuz I love the way the blacking out progress has been going. In about a month or two, it will be all complete and some pics. will be posted.

Anyone know about the mirrors on the visors? I got 'em cracked open and noticed the mirror trim is held in by these little plastic pieces that looks like they were secured the way a rivet would be. To me, the only way it seems you can get it out, would be to chisel off the plastic pieces and "glue" the mirror trim back in when completed. Or is it just possible to push the fabric up and under that trim with a putty knife, screwdriver, etc.?
Old 01-10-2007
Premium Member

I havent figured out how to the the mirrors off yet, just havent had a chance- how do they come off? Post a pic of what your talking about when you get a chance so I can see what your talking about and start thinking of a solution. Also, anyone know how to get the headliner off with out busting it.. I assume you take the lights out first (another thing I havent had a chance to look at)- anyone know how to take em out to get the headliner off?
Old 01-10-2007
Registered!!

I'm at work right now so I'll post pics. and description on what you need when I get home if nobody beats me to the punch. I have everything that needs to be taken off laying around me bedroom, so if there's anything you wanna see, let me know and I'll post pics. of those too.
Old 01-10-2007
Registered!!

The first pic. is of the whole inside of the visor, the second being a close up of the plastic pieces I'm talking about. The little grey dots going around in the square shape would be the ones I'm talking about. They look like bucktails on a rivit. So do you have to break those to get the mirror trim out or can you somehow pop the trim out from the front side of the mirror you would look at?

To answer your question about the lights, all you have to do is pry out the lenses from the side carefully,on both the mapand dome light. Once those are off,you will see 10 or 8mm bolts. Take those bad boys out, unclip the wires and you're done with those. The headliner is actually held in also by the weather stripping, so when you pull the last weather stripping out, it'll possibly just drop. The wires for the lights are also glued to the top of the headliner, so you'll have to peel those off before you take the headliner out of the car as well. Any other ?'s just ask.

Last edited by drivlikustoleit; 01-12-2007 at 07:08 AM. Reason: Need rep, asked for it, didn't get it. Hey I tried.
Old 01-11-2007
Premium Member

I'm driving home tomorrow (well today now!!) and i'll probably start working on this right when I get on there. I'll probably have to hit you up, do you have aim, or another way I can get a hold of you? PM me.

So there arent any clips in the headliner? I had a image of how it was, let me grab it.

so whats what here exactly? How do u pop the mirrors off frm the headliner?

Oh, do you have a sunroof or not, I dont. hollars!
Old 01-11-2007
Premium Member

Looks like I never posted the clip placement picture that I thought I had. No more broken clips!

Old 01-11-2007
Registered!!

I'm driving home tomorrow (well today now!!) and i'll probably start working on this right when I get on there. I'll probably have to hit you up, do you have aim, or another way I can get a hold of you? PM me.

So there arent any clips in the headliner? I had a image of how it was, let me grab it.

so whats what here exactly? How do u pop the mirrors off frm the headliner?

Oh, do you have a sunroof or not, I dont. hollars!

No, I don't have a sunroof either which in this case was nice. There are actually two clips in the rear part of the headliner, but when I pulled the last weather stripping, it just dropped so I don't know how much those clips actually do. If you decide to do the weather stripping before you take off all the other stuff, naturally, it should fall when you take the last thing out (whatever that may be). The mirrors are simple. The swivel part has that cover over it which I think I just pulled off with my hand, if not, use a screwdriver to help pry it, but it's real simple to get off. Under that is two phillips screws or 2 bolts... Then the actual clip that the visor goes into was a little more difficult 'cuz I had to figure it out for myself. You need to look on the front side of it (closer to the windshield) you should see a small slot. I have small enough screwdrivers to fit in there... don't know if you do. Either way, get something in there to push on the clip and then rotate the whole thing clockwise as you're still pushing on the clip. If you have trouble I can post a pic of the clip, but I don't get out of work for another 8 hours. So now the visors are done.

The rear view mirror was a bitch for me. I just did a whole lot of prying to get that cover off. There was no finess whatsoever...again, another thing I could show you a picture of so you know what you would be working with. After you get that cover off, it's 3 phillips screws and the mirror is done.

If you don't have the Oh S**t handles off, you just pry off those little covers (I used my tiny screwdrivers) and remove the bolts holding 'em up there. I personally will not be putting them back up there just for a more "custom" feel.

Don't know if you got the pillars off where the seatbelts are, but if you didn't yet, you have to take the seatbelt off in order to do so... 14mm bolt.

I think I'm going to post a DIY within the next few days so anyone else who wants to do this knows what they're getting into. If you need anything else explained, or want those pics. let me know... I'll do the best I can to explain. Check my profile for aim/email... more than happy to help if you catch me on aim.
Old 01-11-2007
Registered!!

PitchBlack is just really nicePitchBlack is just really nicePitchBlack is just really nicePitchBlack is just really nice
DIY's are sweet. If you got the time man post one up. A ton of people are interested obviously. I know I am for sure. Anything custom that doesn't scream "RICE" is all good by me.
Old 01-11-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by PitchBlack
DIY's are sweet. If you got the time man post one up. A ton of people are interested obviously. I know I am for sure. Anything custom that doesn't scream "RICE" is all good by me.
Yeah there is a lot of interest out there, and I like helping out any way I can, so I'll post it up. Just gonna take a few days 'cuz my work hours jump around a lot. I'll make a post here when I do the separate DIY.

Definitely not ricing it out... that **** bugs me... just blacking out the interior/exterior. It'll be a little bit before it's all done... don't wanna rush it and have it look like a ghetto ricer you know.

If you need any pointers before I get the DIY up, just let me know.
Old 01-11-2007
Registered!!

yingjai is an unknown quantity at this point
so how much fabric do you really need for the headliner and the door inserts?
Old 01-11-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by yingjai

I got 8 feet and it covered the headliner with a little extra. The extra is only enough to cover about one visor... can't tell you how much you need for the doors 'cuz I'm using vinyl. Triz is the man for that answer.
Old 01-11-2007
Premium Member

Originally Posted by yingjai
For the door inserts I went above and beyond and bought like 3 yards. lol.. Redic I know. Just wanted some extra so I wouldnt have to worry about fvcking it up and not having any material. I also cut some pieces off to test my adhesive with and all that other hooplah. To be honest though, depending on how efficent you are, you just need what you see, plus maybe two inches on each side. Once you get your fabric off your door, (all you have to do it get the power window switch and rubber armrest out the way) use that as your stencil. you should do two layers of fabric if your doing microfiber. One layer felt cheap (aside from the fact the glue bled through). You got two doors, so double that. I suggest getting extra though to allow for fvckups and testing.

Hope that helps. I dont want to give an exact number of feet or yards because everyone is different, depending on how you place your stencil down and cut affects how much fabric you need. Fabric is cheap, so splurge and buy a few extra feet.
Old 01-11-2007
Premium Member

yeah that mirror cover piece... that thing has a story behind it. It would fall out every now and again while I would be driving. It reminded me of my ex because it got down so quick n it never stayed in there. Go figure.

When my neighbor hit me, it came off and I finally had his insurance replace it- its like 3 bucks- so if you break it- big whoop.

I'll get my mirrors off tonight when I get in town and start working on them, i'll get my headliner off on friday and work on it saturday with a friend. By tuesday I should have pics of everything finished. Oh yeah, I have to do my drivers side panel too.. hopefully I get it all covered!!
Old 01-11-2007
Registered!!

yeah that mirror cover piece... that thing has a story behind it. It would fall out every now and again while I would be driving. It reminded me of my ex because it got down so quick n it never stayed in there. Go figure.

When my neighbor hit me, it came off and I finally had his insurance replace it- its like 3 bucks- so if you break it- big whoop.

I'll get my mirrors off tonight when I get in town and start working on them, i'll get my headliner off on friday and work on it saturday with a friend. By tuesday I should have pics of everything finished. Oh yeah, I have to do my drivers side panel too.. hopefully I get it all covered!!
Yeah I never thought about buying a new cover if I broke it, but it's all good 'cuz I didn't break it. I just threw my headliner back in today and I fell in love. I gotta finish painting the plastic that goes around the lights/mirror and it's all done. Then on to all the kick panels, pillars center console. With my 5% tints, black headliner, and black carpet, my car is extremely darkkk. It's looking sic. Get my new floormats and seat covers (I know, but I'm not running the idea of leather across my wife... se'll have a heart attackat the price--lol) in about a week. I'll post a picof the headliner as soon as I'm done painting.

Yeah let me know how those mirrors turn out...I think they're going to have to be epoxyed back in though. I just may not put them back in...I don't care too much, I don't use 'em.

Good luck with everything...
Old 01-11-2007
Registered!!

mr.rowdy is an unknown quantity at this point
Man that Bride one is awesome

Quick Reply: Custom Headliner?