General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Custom Headliner?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nas0827 is an unknown quantity at this point
I also got limo tint all around so i dont get much light in anyways.
Old 11-10-2006
Registered!!

Finally go around to doing the rest of the car so i got one of the visors done and the arm rest. Still gotta do passanger door and driver visor. will post pics when i get a chance
Old 11-26-2006
Registered!!

Montgomery5145 is an unknown quantity at this point
How did it come out, im looking to make my 05 ex coupe with grey headliner have a bit of a change with a black headliner. I also have 20% tint all around so it would black out most of the inside
Old 11-26-2006
Registered!!

Came out great, everything is done now except passanger insert, just too lazy right now to take the panels off and do all that right now. Everything looks good though
Old 11-26-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
I dyed everything black
Old 11-26-2006
Don't be a n00b, search ftw

01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Rufus
I dyed everything black
I was thinking about just doing this...What did you use? Vinyl/fabric spray on dye that you can get at the store, or did you get it professionally done?
Old 11-26-2006
Premium Member

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
man, a custom headliner... what a great idea. I dont know if I could handle working on my roof for very long, something about it- probably gravity- seems like it would just **** me off soo much.

But the door parts- how do you take thoes (the door panels?) apart to do it?- I'm pretty interested in how you got that to happen. Point me in the direction of a DIY please!
Old 11-27-2006
Premium Member

Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 01HonderCivic
I was thinking about just doing this...What did you use? Vinyl/fabric spray on dye that you can get at the store, or did you get it professionally done?
The A,B,and C pillar I wrapped in black grill fabric. it looks exactly like most cars that come with curtain airbags. the material is light and I only used glue on the back of them so you could actually touch the pillars and move the fabric a tiny amount. Plus, this works well, because I sunk 2 tweeters behind the a-pillars and you can't even tell...

The roof I used a spray material that you buy in can and "rub" into the material. It changes the texture of your headliner but I a) don't touch my headliner that often and b) know that it came out perfectly.
Old 11-27-2006
Registered!!

dabflyboy is an unknown quantity at this point
um...pics?
Old 11-28-2006
Premium Member

search for posts by me and you'll find some pics I'm sure.
Old 11-30-2006
Dain Bramaged.

jester444 is an unknown quantity at this point
Can someone explain to me why one would want to change their headliner and interior to some gaudy, bright color?
Old 11-30-2006
Registered!!

Can you explain to me why you would bother doing anything to your car?
Old 11-30-2006
Dain Bramaged.

jester444 is an unknown quantity at this point
Who, Me? I can't. Cause I don't. I drive my 'vic like what it is, a cheap, practical car. I'm saving up what money I would usually spend on modifications for something that's not an econobox in disguise, i.e. STi Rex, S2K, etc.
Old 11-30-2006
Don't be a n00b, search ftw

01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future
I just want my headliner to be black, like the rest of the interior. Right now all the pillars and the headligher are a dark grey color...blah.
Old 11-30-2006
Registered!!

drivlikustoleit is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah I'm in the middle of blacking out my whole interior. Most of my panels have been painted already and next is the headliner then hopefully getting a leather kit for the seats... should look pretty sweet when it's done. I went to a store the other day and found some fabric dye that doesn't come in a spray can... I think it has the potential to work much better and not flake off (no offense to the ones who have done it) I just am planning on using it on the seatbelts so with that constant movement, you need something that will actually dye the fabric. Unfortunarely I can't put any of the panels back in right now cuz my car is in the body shop f***ing accidents blow. Anyone interested in seeing pics when it comes back from the shop, let me know and I'll post 'em. Otherwise I won't waste my time if noone cares to see.

BTW, it may seem simple to you guys, but how do you remove the Oh s**t handles and the plastic pieces that hold in the visors?
Old 12-01-2006
Registered!!

Montgomery5145 is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah I really want to see pictures, post them up when you get it back from the shop
Old 12-01-2006
Premium Member

I'll take pics later. To remove the OH SNAP handles you pull them down and the nut is behind the lever
Old 12-04-2006
Registered!!

Alright, I'll post pics in probably about a month... Maybe even longer. I want to get everything done before I put the panels back in so theres less of a chance of them getting the paint scratched off... that would mean getting the leather kit and I gotta convince the wife to let me spend $1200 to get it done. Sooo it looks like I'll be risking the paint being scratched in a few months when the kit installers are moving around my car I'm also working off the fact that she got me the new carpet I asked her to get me for X-mas... if she didn't get it... well then that messes everything up as far as a time scale. Pics. will be posted just be patient with me.

How about the headliner pieces... how do you get those things off without breaking them?
Old 12-04-2006
Premium Member

Oh I snapped the one off by the moonroof. They're glued on. Not real durable..
Old 12-04-2006
Registered!!

That's prett ghetto... you'd think they wolud be clipped in there or something like that... did it stay in place good when you glued it back up there.
Old 12-08-2006
Registered!!

alscrx is an unknown quantity at this point
Custom Headliner/door Inserts/visors!!!!!

Hey guys, My wife has been asking me to do her interior and i finally got a chance to do it. Check it out....i have more pics of dissasembly and reassembly if anyone has any questions....Its an 02 coupe by the way.

Everything is pretty straigh forward but requires time and patients!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1677.jpg
Views:	659
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	68820   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1676.jpg
Views:	595
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	68821   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1666.jpg
Views:	655
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	68822   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1669.jpg
Views:	605
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	68823   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1675.jpg
Views:	629
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	68824  

Old 12-08-2006
Registered!!

Honda2k4 is an unknown quantity at this point
sure dont lie we all know thats for you,,, lol

what part is that in the last pic? and what kind of material are you using?
Old 12-08-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by alscrx
Hey guys, My wife has been asking me to do her interior and i finally got a chance to do it. Check it out....i have more pics of dissasembly and reassembly if anyone has any questions....Its an 02 coupe by the way.

Everything is pretty straigh forward but requires time and patients!!!!!
Mostly what I need to know is how the map light, dome light, oh s**t handles, and visors come off. I was told in an earlier post that the visors just clip together like a clam shell... that's about the extent of what I know.
Old 12-16-2006
Registered!!

In the last pic is the visor with the trim ring around it. I used vinyl for the doors and headliner
Old 12-16-2006
Registered!!

Well the map light is simple, Just use a flat head screwdriver to remove the two clear lenses on the map light. Then you will see i believe 2 10mm bolts. Once you remove those it comes right down!

The oh Sh*@ handle has 2 plastic caps on each end covering the bolts. Remove the caps with same flat head, and then remove the bolts.

As for the visors, well unscrew it from the headliner, then carefully begin to pry it open, go slowlyso you don't break any clips. It is like a clam shell as you can see in my pics above!! Just snap in back to close it up when your done
Old 12-16-2006
Premium Member

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
Man, I had to dig up this old thread. I've been thinking for the longest time about changing my door panel inserts. Geeze... you have no idea. I wanted to do this this month, but my neighbor crashed into the back of my parked car last week!! I wouldnt mind swooping by the body shop and steal my door panels and headliner!! =)

I have more pics of dissasembly and reassembly if anyone has any questions....Its an 02 coupe by the way.
alscrx, can you hook me up with a bunch of pics of how you took the door panels off to get to the door inserts, and pics of the process of wraping them? Thanks is advance man- I'm super excited!!
Old 12-17-2006
Registered!!

Hey TRIZ, You have a coupe right? Well the couple inserts are more of a pain than the 4 door, Once the door panel is removed, you have to cut off some plastic welds that hold the armrest in on the door! The actual insert itself does not come off!! You must do it on the door. Precut your material tracing the old insert which is removed by simply pulling it off. Once off, just trace it onto the new material. Use some 3m spray adhesive and begin to cover the insert tuck in the edges with a plastic spreader or something thin and non metal that won't cut your new material.

If your doing the headliner, that a more involved project that requires time and alot more patients than door panels. So try the doors first and see if you think you can do a bigger and more involved project. GOOD LUCK, JUST REMEMBER IN THE END ITS ALL WORTH IT
Old 12-17-2006
Premium Member

How many patients did it require?
Old 12-17-2006
Registered!!

Keyees is an unknown quantity at this point
I get a kick of out being 17, I buy my own car with my own money. Pay my own insurance. But if i ever did anything like that to my car. My father would still kill me. I bought an AMP and hes freeking out when I told him i wasnt gunna pay someone 80 bucks to do it.

It looks good im sure your wife will enjoy it.
Old 12-20-2006
Registered!!

Well the map light is simple, Just use a flat head screwdriver to remove the two clear lenses on the map light. Then you will see i believe 2 10mm bolts. Once you remove those it comes right down!

The oh Sh*@ handle has 2 plastic caps on each end covering the bolts. Remove the caps with same flat head, and then remove the bolts.

As for the visors, well unscrew it from the headliner, then carefully begin to pry it open, go slowlyso you don't break any clips. It is like a clam shell as you can see in my pics above!! Just snap in back to close it up when your done
Thanks for the pointers...my car comes back in the next few day so I'll be starting this project... already have the material ready and waiting... can't wait. I'll post some pics. as soon as it's all done.

Quick Reply: Custom Headliner?