Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

chozobody's Old Farts club

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2022
Registered!!

Received 115 Likes on 77 Posts
chozobody is an unknown quantity at this point
chozobody's Old Farts club

Welcome to all my old guys still hanging around here. Guess it's been 3 years since yall last saw me, so I figured it was time to show yall what i've been up to.

TLDR; I still have my Taffeta White 03 Sedan.

Ok so on to the good stuff. They say a picture is worth a thousand words...so lets just start with the most recent pictures.......

During the pandemic, I decided to be that guy and revisit the D17. This time however, I'm building off almost 2 decades of knowledge, working directly with D17 guys of yesteryear. Their help would be invaluable thus far.

This next part is for you Old Farts who remember me back when I first joined in 2010. Back when I didn't know sh*t about f*ck, and got hyped about the Weapon-R Intake I bought on Amazon.

This whole car (aside from machining the block) was built by me with some help from some buddies in my garage. Who ever said you needed a "formal" education for building racecars?

Just know this will be the first of many updates. Quick Parts list thus far below

D17 Block
Stock Bore (75mm) Darton Dry Sleeves
Pauter Chrome Molly rods
Weisco Pistons
Crower Stage 2 Turbo Cam
Crower Valve Springs and retainers
ID1000 Injectors
Gm Flex Fuel Module
Aeromotive FPR
Walbro 255
Ebay Turbo (ask me about my relationship issues)
Mfactory LSD
Ported/Polished Head
JDM FabTech Intake manifold
ARP Head Studs
Mishimoto Half Size Radiator
Return Fuel system
Kpro v4
EP3 EPS

Last edited by chozobody; 06-14-2022 at 06:48 PM. Reason: bamf
The following 3 users liked this post by chozobody:
crajnai (06-15-2022), GolNat (06-15-2022), sdaidoji (06-14-2022)
Old 06-14-2022
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,447 Likes on 1,202 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: chozobody's Old Farts club

Oh, hey, long time no see, buddy! Yes, remember you!

good going there!

If you don't mind, moving thread to members' ride, this fits better here!
Old 06-14-2022
Registered!!

Works for me! Shows how long I've been out of the loop.

Old 06-15-2022
Super Moderator

Received 1,865 Likes on 1,311 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

How much power do you think it will make?
Old 06-15-2022
Click Here

Received 1,155 Likes on 902 Posts
FRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of light

Am I the only one that read Chezboat?

Looks like a sweet car, man. Excited to see how this looks when it’s done.
Old 06-15-2022
Registered!!

400 to the wheels is the target number. My buddy has a Superflow dyno here in Colorado, so assuming parts all hold, there's not a lot stopping me.
The following users liked this post:
BrotatoChip (06-16-2022)
Old 06-15-2022
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,447 Likes on 1,202 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

except for the lack of oxygen due to the wildfire
Old 06-15-2022
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
except for the lack of oxygen due to the wildfire
Bro seriously. That most recent fire in Arizona really smoked us out. Luckily we haven't had any huge fires here this season.
sdaidoji (06-15-2022)
Old 06-15-2022
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Nice a D17 build!!
Old 06-16-2022
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
Nice a D17 build!!
Thank you! I figure someone should still give er some love. Wouldn't have done it if I didn't get that JDM Fabtech intake and Darton Sleeves.
Old 07-03-2023
Registered!!

Soon.....

Intercooler piping and exhaust all done, minus a Wastegate dump I still need to build.
BrotatoChip (07-05-2023), Colin42 (07-04-2023), sdaidoji (07-03-2023)
Old 07-03-2023
Registered!!

I should also say she runs and drives

Started first crank on the new motor. Felt pretty good seeing how it was the first one I build on my own.

Just weeks away from getting on the dyno and then taking it to the track.
xRiCeBoYx (07-03-2023)
Old 07-03-2023
Registered!!

Now I never claimed to be a welder....because i'm not.
But I did manage to put together a dump pipe for my wastegate.

Cant take credit for the Downpipe....Some things are worth delegating.

The following 2 users liked this post by chozobody:
Colin42 (07-04-2023), sdaidoji (07-04-2023)
Old 07-04-2023
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,149 Likes on 803 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

lol, my first thoughts (before seeing any text) was, "god damn, those welds look like ****.. but look like they got good enough penetration. Screw it, good enough for gov't work. Carry on"

edit: for the record, I admittedly cannot do any better myself
The following 2 users liked this post by xRiCeBoYx:
Colin42 (07-04-2023), sdaidoji (07-04-2023)
Old 07-04-2023
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,129 Likes on 943 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Nicely done
As long as it doesn't leak it doesn't matter. I'm a certified welder and theres some days my welds look like hot garbage.
Old 07-04-2023
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
Nicely done
As long as it doesn't leak it doesn't matter. I'm a certified welder and theres some days my welds look like hot garbage.
FACTS

If I made sure everything was picture perfect, I would be both pissed off and broke. Function > form
Old 07-05-2023
Super Moderator

BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

"A grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't"...is what I have to repeatedly tell myself every time I touch my welder.

You planning on tracking with a half width radiator? My Mishimoto full width all aluminum RSX radiator will handle 15-20 minutes before getting up to 220F. I turn on the cabin heater half on to help at that point. This is a turbo K series I had limited to 6 psi at the time, probably around 310-320 whp. The stock EP3 radiator I was using before would make it 5-10 minutes and then would still overheat with the cabin heater on full.
Colin42 (07-05-2023)
Old 07-05-2023
Registered!!

Originally Posted by BrotatoChip
"A grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't"...is what I have to repeatedly tell myself every time I touch my welder.

You planning on tracking with a half width radiator? My Mishimoto full width all aluminum RSX radiator will handle 15-20 minutes before getting up to 220F. I turn on the cabin heater half on to help at that point. This is a turbo K series I had limited to 6 psi at the time, probably around 310-320 whp. The stock EP3 radiator I was using before would make it 5-10 minutes and then would still overheat with the cabin heater on full.
95% street car, with the 1/4 mile being my flavor of racing. Not super worried about the 1/2 size since its a triple core. Anecdotally, I had my thermostat rubber fail back about 11 years ago in the Nebraska winter. Couldn't keep it at operating temperature or even keep heat coming through the vents. I have a sneaking suspicion that even with my blockguard, the temps should stay manageable. But time will tell in a couple weeks 😁
Old 07-05-2023
Super Moderator

Ahh drag strip is a lot different than a road course. I suspect you will be fine.
Old 07-05-2023
Registered!!

Originally Posted by BrotatoChip
Ahh drag strip is a lot different than a road course. I suspect you will be fine.
Sadly, they are closing my local NHRA track at the end of the season. They say they will rebuild it elsewhere, but that's yet to be seen.

I guess my point is the street element will be more relevant in the coming year.
BrotatoChip (07-06-2023)
Old 07-06-2023
Registered!!

Ok, so I knocked out the new line for the turbo oil return. Not touching, despite what the picture may lead you to believe. But I ordered some exhaust wrap for extra insurance.

Got the oil changed from first start "parts store" blend, to some LiquiMoly 5-30. Should be good for the 500 mile procedure I have planned.

Not to get ahead of myself, but I think my "weeks" are turning into "days" at this point. I might start doing a street break-in with the next couple of days.

Old 07-06-2023
Registered!!

Didn't get a whole lot done tonight...had to cut the grass in between the rain. ⛈️

BUT

The Wastegate gaskets showed up, and got installed.
I re-welded one of the intercooler mount studs. Not 100% happy with it, but Ill remake a new mount in the future. Those got their 1st and 2nd coats of paint tonight.

Debating on swapping out the fitting on the bottom side of my fpr. Got a 45 degree fitting that would alleviate some of the curve. Time will tell if it's needed. Good thing my leaks wont happen over the headers.

BrotatoChip (07-07-2023)
Old 07-09-2023
Registered!!

I changed out that fuel fitting from the regulator after staring at it for an hour while I zip-tied all the vacuum hoses attached to all my junk. I also got the wiring for the wideband and the boost solenoid all secured. Then I found a leak in my radiator. Good thing Mishimoto has a lifetime warranty, and I should be able to get it replaced for less than $100. I also had my buddy remove the hood latch cable assembly since that's no longer needed either. So that's the update on the civic.

BUT

I made some progress on the Allison 1000 I'm rebuilding. Got the ratiotek upgraded pressure spring installed. Had to make my own "tool" which consisted of a 1" diameter wooden dowel, and an 8" Harbor Freight c-clamp. Was going to drill the backing plate, but I don't own a chuck small enough for a .047 Drill bit. Bezos wins again...it will be here tomorrow.

Colin42 (07-09-2023)
Old 07-12-2023
Registered!!

Still waiting for my replacement rad from Mishimoto...so that means you get MORE ALLISON PICTURES.
I got the pump put back together with new bushings, and got the ratiotec kit finished with my poquito chucks from Amazon. .047" is a very small diameter bit...if you didnt know.

Trying to put in work somehow every day on one of my vehicles. Regardless, I should have more ES2 content here soon.

Last edited by chozobody; 07-12-2023 at 03:15 PM.
Old 07-20-2023
Registered!!

I apologize for not posting anything on the Honda since last week, my mind seems to be other places that I wish it wasn't.

New radiator arrived yesterday. Hoping to install this weekend.
Redoing some wiring as well, since I'm not happy with my sensor grounds. Only thing I need is time there.

I also managed to get the "hard parts" all put together on this Allison 1000. She's a hefty girl at almost 300 lbs.

sdaidoji (07-22-2023)
Old 07-23-2023
Registered!!

I FINALLY HAVE CIVIC CONTENT AND BOY IS IT JUICY

I got me a new helper today on the Honda. Local kid who's mom I used to work with. Good labor is hard to find!
  • The exhaust is all wrapped near the oil return hose, and I still have about 90 feet of wrap left...so Ill wrap the header at some point.
  • Transmission was refilled after a leak from a not-so seated axle. Note that isn't actually blueberry bai.
  • Replacement radiator is in, but the fan had to come off the Mishimoto shroud to fit. These things came in handy.
  • Somehow we got the front of the car back on too. AND EVERYTHING FITS. SLEEPER STATUS HERE WE COME BAYBEE.
  • Maps in Kpro now attain a 14.7 at idle, and is smooth as butter.
I still need to do a valve adjustment, and re-seal the valve cover with some new hondabond.
So yeah, that's where I'm at today. Had to do some funky stuff on kpro to make some sensors read correctly, but that's a discussion for another time.

Colin42 (07-25-2023), sdaidoji (07-24-2023)
Old 07-24-2023
Registered!!

“Anybody who builds a Turbo D17 with any sort of seriousness in this day and age is an idiot”-Me.

“It’s got Pauter 4340 chromoly rods, ARP head studs, and Darton sleeves”-Also Me.
Colin42 (07-25-2023)
Old 07-25-2023
Registered!!

Quick update. Got the valve adjustment done, only to find my valve cover gasket was all loose. New one came in today.

I was also chasing a low oil pressure condition while I was idling before I get to break-

in. Well, somehow I overlooked the plug bolt on the cam. That’s fixed now so phew, crisis averted.

Valve cover goes back in tomorrow and I’ll be on the street by Thursday. Closed loop break-in here I come!
Colin42 (07-26-2023), sdaidoji (07-26-2023)
Old 07-27-2023
Registered!!

I got the valve cover installed last night, and tied up all(?) of the loose ends.
I also managed to get cruise control re-installed around my catch can. I'm happy about that one.

The plan is to start Closed Loop driving it this evening. Wish me luck. lol
Colin42 (07-27-2023), GolNat (07-27-2023), sdaidoji (07-27-2023)
Old 07-27-2023
Registered!!

498 Miles to go. 😁

https://youtube.com/shorts/S8do19xzs...LCHl0tafdwwvvz

Quick Reply: chozobody's Old Farts club