Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

chozobody's Old Farts club

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2023
Registered!!

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
chozobody is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: chozobody's Old Farts club

Civic is still running well, however I bought a donor car for another project of mine yesterday, and I'm almost ready to pull the motor at this point. Enjoy this 2001 camaro where the front fell off

The following users liked this post:
sdaidoji (07-30-2023)
Old 07-30-2023
Registered!!

52 and change. That's how many miles I put on the civic tonight. No issues to speak of, aside from a lower than perfect warm idle oil pressure. Otherwise it's getting smoother by the mile. Oh except the mfactory LSD. Is a clunky son of a gun.

Edit: Yes I have abs issues and my EPS swap does not seem to be working. There will be discussions on this later but it will not be ignored. The car still drives fine.

My confidence is growing. I might actually be able to build a car! lol.

Last edited by chozobody; 07-31-2023 at 12:11 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by chozobody:
Colin42 (07-31-2023), sdaidoji (08-03-2023)
Old 08-02-2023
Registered!!

Fixed the clunk...loose trans mount. Ezpz

Made a cold air intake. #Fabricator

My buddy came and got the camaro shell after I got the motor pulled.

Made a poor short term decision and bought a 15kW generator and trailer at the auction. In 2 months from now, somebody should hit me up and trade me a Medium Duty Truck for it. lol

The following 3 users liked this post by chozobody:
BrotatoChip (08-03-2023), Colin42 (08-03-2023), sdaidoji (08-03-2023)
Old 08-03-2023
Super Moderator

Received 1,895 Likes on 1,335 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

I like how you casually bought a 15kW generator trailer.
The following 2 users liked this post by BrotatoChip:
chozobody (08-03-2023), Colin42 (08-03-2023)
Old 08-03-2023
Registered!!

Originally Posted by BrotatoChip
I like how you casually bought a 15kW generator trailer.
At the beginning of Covid, I started looking to the government auctions as a source for equipment to fix up and flip. This one just happened to be in the right sale at the right price for me. Needless to say, its purely a business move on my part.

Plus how cool does that camo paint job look? 🤤
BrotatoChip (08-04-2023)
Old 08-04-2023
Super Moderator

BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Just leave it in the driveway for use as a whole home backup. With the camo, nobody will even know it's there.
The following 3 users liked this post by BrotatoChip:
Colin42 (08-04-2023), sdaidoji (08-04-2023), TokyoCornflower (09-07-2023)
Old 08-04-2023
Registered!!

How else do you think I'm going to store it until I get a buyer XD

My neighbors hate me.
BrotatoChip (08-04-2023), Colin42 (08-04-2023)
Old 08-04-2023
Registered!!

Got another 30 Miles on the Honda last night. I did have an exhaust bolt from the downpipe to the midpipe loosen up. So I gotta jack the car up tonight and fix that.

Realized it was pulling way too much fuel during warm cranking, so that was addressed.

The "CAI" I made for the turbo dropped IAT's by about 20 degrees Fahrenheit, so that's a win.

Best of all, my GF hasn't left me over my shenanigans...yet.
BrotatoChip (08-04-2023), Colin42 (08-04-2023)
Old 08-04-2023
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by chozobody
Best of all, my GF hasn't left me over my shenanigans...yet.

I K20 swapped.
Less than 2 years later I K24 swapped.
I turbo'd that K24 but was forced to use a tuner I didn't trust. Blew up 8 months later.
Rebuilt the K24, had to beg a much more reputable shop for a tune.
4th gear exploded on track, so now I'm fixing the transmission. My wife still hasn't left but I'm sure she's considered a few times over the years.
The following 2 users liked this post by BrotatoChip:
chozobody (08-04-2023), Colin42 (08-04-2023)
Old 08-04-2023
Registered!!

Took the evening off. Well aside from cleaning up my kpro wiring. Removed the crossover for the rear o2 control since my PLX wideband is handling closed loop. Everything fits a lot nicer now.
Old 08-05-2023
Registered!!

Started working on the abs issue. Looks like its the front left wheel speed sensor. New one should be here in a couple days.

I also managed to pull codes from the EPS using a test light in place of an eps light on the dash. 22, 12, and 16 are the numbers it gives me. Cross referencing that in the ep3 02-03 shop manual leads me to believe this issue might be related to the wheel speed sensor. I wont loose sleep over it until I get that speed sensor replaced.
Colin42 (08-06-2023)
Old 08-07-2023
Registered!!

Soooo this showed up today.

Colin42 (08-07-2023)
Old 08-07-2023
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,138 Likes on 952 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Blends right into suburbia. What engine does it have? Its about the same size as my welder, maybe a touch bigger.
Old 08-07-2023
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
Blends right into suburbia. What engine does it have? Its about the same size as my welder, maybe a touch bigger.
Don't know the exact specs yet, but it's a 40hp Yanmar (JP) 4 cylinder, water cooled turbo diesel.
Old 08-07-2023

Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Fancy, my welder is a '77 so it has a 4 cyl continental flathead
Old 08-07-2023
Registered!!

Yeah this one is a wee bit newer. Manufactured in 09 I believe.

The worst part about the whole ordeal was the shipping logistics guy sent a driver without telling him all the details. I told the dispatcher to send someone with a trailer I can back onto and tow the trailer off. Well the auction yard loaded it with the hitch facing his truck. Long story short, we used my truck, some come-alongs and a 2 ton engine crane to back it off his trailer. Wild day in my neck of the woods for sure. Dude was super professional though, and I can hire him myself without the 3rd and 4th parties for less than half my cost this time around, and he would make 50% more.
Old 08-08-2023

Someone wasn't thinking at the yard, at least you got it off. "Creative rigging" is always fun
Old 08-10-2023
Registered!!

Not going to lie guys. Im a bit bummed today.

Started noticing my oil pressure dropping off this evening. Then, when I hopped out to audibly check things, I confirmed she's a knockin.

Not sure what my next steps will be yet.
Old 08-11-2023
Super Moderator

Oh no, I hate to hear it. Any thoughts on why? I thought you checked oil pressure and it was good? Rod bearing clearances out of spec?
Old 08-11-2023
Registered!!

Oh no, I hate to hear it. Any thoughts on why? I thought you checked oil pressure and it was good? Rod bearing clearances out of spec?

Oil pressure was fine until it wasn’t last night. Single digits as idle. Rod bearings are my suspicion. Im pulling the pan tonight to visually inspect things.
Old 08-11-2023
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,456 Likes on 1,207 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

ouch!
Old 08-11-2023
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
ouch!
This is how I see it,
The hard part of building a car is done. I might be adding "ate a bearing" to my checklist of automotive achievements though. lol

But for real, ill probably get the motor pulled on Saturday and figure out what went bad. But swapping a motor and doing bearings might not be too bad if I can keep the topside assembled.

Uncharted territory, or just a really good DIY? Only time will tell....
Colin42 (08-11-2023)
Old 08-11-2023
Super Moderator

Interested in the diagnostic teardown.
Old 08-11-2023
Registered!!

Not great, not terrible news. Got some Metallic flecks in the oil but no chunks in the pan.

Rod bearings are all fine. I'm going to pull the girdle tonight or tomorrow and check the mains. I might rest this evening since I already got the pan off.
Then ill peak inside the pickup tube and see if the oil pump is intact.

Old 08-14-2023
Registered!!

Quick update. Bottom end was inconclusive. Both rod and main bearings look A-OK. Oil pump is not in a million pieces, and my pickup tube isn't cracked.

However I found a loose motor mount bolt, and a leak from the oil filter sandwich plate. The same sandwich plate that houses my aem oil pressure sensor.
Either way I ordered a couple OEM Honda Oil filters that arrived yesterday. I'm going to inspect the sandwich plate gasket and re torque it, then using an oem filter do another change using the Liquimolly Euro 5w-30 i've been using for break-in.

I'm starting to wonder if I had a couple different symptoms that mimicked something worse. Car will be back to running the 1st half of the week. Ill report back then.
Old 08-14-2023
Super Moderator

Metal flakes possibly from the break in oil? Knocking you heard was all in your head? Talk about things looking up.
Old 08-14-2023
Registered!!

Metal flakes possibly from the break in oil? Knocking you heard was all in your head? Talk about things looking up.
Or something as simple as my rings on the darton sleeves. Either way this is a good sign.
BrotatoChip (08-15-2023), Colin42 (08-15-2023)
Old 08-17-2023
Registered!!

Quick update, nothing major.
Flushed the engine 2x with the remainder 5 30, switching to 5 40 with the next change. Car runs fine, no signs of the knock. Oil pressure still reports low in kpro via the aem pressure sensor once things get "hot". First start pressures and colder oil temps seem to have what I would call strong pressure. Does anyone know if there is a pressure difference between a reading taken at the sandwich plate vs the stock sender location w/ a T fitting? If so, I very well could have that 10+ desired hot oil PSI, and its an offset issue. Curious what others have to say.

Also, my front seal seems to be weeping, so I gotta pull the crank pulley/timing pulley off to inspect. I have the felpro "kit" arriving tomorrow. Luckily I don't even have to pull the exhaust.

Old 08-19-2023
Registered!!

8/19 Update

Leak fixed, turns out it was just the pan.
Pulled the latest filter and it was way clearer than oil I drained from the 2nd round. This is also a good sign.

Switched to 5w-40 as well...that stuff is like syrup at room temp. Will observe pressures tomorrow when I shuffle cars around.

Happy Saturday yall
GolNat (08-20-2023), sdaidoji (08-20-2023)
Old 08-22-2023
Registered!!

Since the "active" people usually look at this thread, do any of y'all have a "Clutch case cover" (21350-PLA-010) in decent condition? Mine's pretty deformed and wants to rub my flywheel. Of course for $.

Quick Reply: chozobody's Old Farts club