Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

Bring euro Civic TYPE-R to the US ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TFX2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Bring euro Civic TYPE-R to the US ?

For my work i have to stay in N.Y. for 5 years, but i just bought my 07 euro Civic TYPE-R, so i'm thinking to bring my Civic to the US. But...
When the car is broke, is it possible to get spare parts and got it fixed etc?
I don't think Honda USA can help me with that..

Are there more euro Civic TYPE-R's in the USA?

No hard feelings, but i like the euro version a lot more.
To make clear, a euro Civic 06+ is NOT the same Civic as you can buy in the US.

More info and pics at http://www.autoblog.it/post/5319/hon...ype-r-in-paris and http://www.carpw.com/honda+cars/civi...ept+(2006)+459
(My Type-R is black)
Old 04-24-2007
A long winded 7th genr

Eyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bring euro Civic TYPE-R to the US ?

Well, you would certianly turn a lot of heads with that thing. As for your question about being broken and getting it fixed, first of all, if it's really brand new and you just got it, there shouldn't be any huge mechinical problems with the car, or at least that's what we expect from a Honda vehicle. I think that you can get things done to your car here, Honda USA should really have access to whatever you need....although it might cost a lot. You could always just get a beater car for five years, but how fun would that be? I think you should drop a line to some places in your area that you would take your car to get serviced if something were to happen, and tell them what you have, and ask if they could help. Chances are, if they want your business they'll say yes.

P.s. Looks like your civic has a nose, haha.

Last edited by Eyger; 04-24-2007 at 03:26 PM.
Old 04-24-2007
Registered!!

bobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of light

I think I'd be more worried about it getting stolen then having to get it fixed...
Old 04-24-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

I know my Honda dealership/service department has no way of getting a hold of parts from outside the USDM area. Reason: I wanted EDM tails, no could do- but then again, from what I remember- on honda cars, the tailights are mostly installed in the country where they are shipped to. SO you might have a chance. But honestly, its going to cost a lot to get it here, but if your determined, you'll get it here. Finding parts for it in the US will be hard, but if you dont mind paying the shipping bill, you can import them.
Old 04-24-2007
umm....yeah?

X0DuZz is just really niceX0DuZz is just really niceX0DuZz is just really niceX0DuZz is just really nice

u say u like it better? to me it looks like an egg
Old 04-24-2007
Registered!!

Sanchothepanda is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to burst your bubble there is 0% chance of you importing that legally. USA has a 25 year limit on importing unrestricted cars, i.e. any car from 1982 or earlier OR you have to prove that an equivalent model was sold in the US and bring it up to emissions and safety specs for that equivalent model. You could remove the engine, bring it past customs as "parts" reassemble it and try to register it with a VIN from another Civic/SI/RSX, but it would be illegal and you'd risk getting your car confiscated and slapped with a big *** fine.
Old 04-24-2007
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of

I doubt you’ll be able to import JDM parts from a USDM dealer...

I too have tried to get Canadian parts from my local USDM dealer...

You should have heard the laughs.

Don’t think it will work
Old 04-24-2007
Registered!!

lxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the rough

He could get it in if he wanted. It's LHD and it doesn't give off horrible emissions, it could pass easily. Might have to do a ton of paper work but it can be done. Skylines are imported all the time and I know most of them definately not pre 1982.
Old 04-24-2007
Registered!!

TFX2 is an unknown quantity at this point

@Eyger
Turning heads? Would a euro 06+ Civic that unique?
The car have now +/-5000 miles. No problems as so far, but it wont be the first time a relative new car will broke down.

After reading some spec's, it seems the type-R engine is the same as in the SI version.
Engine parts should be not that problem i hope.

@bobsagator
Stolen? Who would steal a very rare car then?

@X0DuZz
Hehe, would be a nice egg .. The 5 door version is a little differend, less egg shaped

@Sanchothepanda
I was not planning to import the Civic, just bring it over with the european licenseplates, in the same shipcontainer as my furniture etc.. After 5 years i bring the civic (when it still running) back home.
I don't worry about the emissions and safety, it meets the (very tight) Euro4 emission specs.
Assuming it IS legal to drive a foreing car with the original plates and paper.
Old 04-24-2007
I just burnt my tongue

ragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really nice

it is legal but you will have to get some form of registration...if you were here in California i could have gotten you legalization with license plates registration and updated tags for a pretty good price without having to deal with all of the other legalization headaches which can cost over $5000...
Old 04-24-2007
Registered!!

filipinoguy05 is an unknown quantity at this point

That looks sweet! I dunno if you would want to do all the work importing it to NY tho, sketchy city. It would just suck if you spent time and money getting it over here and something happening to it ;( Good luck with w/e you decide!
Old 04-24-2007
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold

IIRC, NY adopted CARB emissions.... good luck getting that thing registered.
the Euro motor is a K20, but its not the same as the US Si. The programming, sensors, etc... differ.
Sell it, buy an Si when you get here, sell the Si when you leave, buy a 2012 Type R when you get back.
Old 04-24-2007
hvc
Registered!!

hvc is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boilermaker1
IIRC, NY adopted CARB emissions.... good luck getting that thing registered.
the Euro motor is a K20, but its not the same as the US Si. The programming, sensors, etc... differ.
Sell it, buy an Si when you get here, sell the Si when you leave, buy a 2012 Type R when you get back.
I'd say that's your safest bet right there. Brining it over would be rough, with all the paperwork and tests and that. Safest bet is to sell it, buy a car here, then sell that and buy a car back in europe when you go back.
Old 04-24-2007
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all

you should able to pass emissions. The largest obstacle is the crash testing. There no crash testing records for the euro civic, technically the euro civic is certified to meet USDM crash safety standards.

good luck.
Old 04-25-2007
A long winded 7th genr

Eyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TFX2
@Eyger
Turning heads? Would a euro 06+ Civic that unique?
The car have now +/-5000 miles. No problems as so far, but it wont be the first time a relative new car will broke down.

After reading some spec's, it seems the type-R engine is the same as in the SI version.
Engine parts should be not that problem i hope.
Yeah with out a doubt, I've never seen that car in person. I'm sure it'll be just as rare as any other car that isn't sold in the US.

Quick side note, there are plenty of people who have imported S15's and Skyline GTR's which are not sold in the US, and they get parts just fine. Granted it cost a lot of money, and the parts are shipped in from another country, it can be done. Anything's possible.
Old 04-25-2007
Don't be a n00b, search ftw

01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future

Somehow if that car got stolen, I think it'd stand out in a crowd....
Old 04-25-2007
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

You can bring it over just fine, just talk to RIS (I think) or even just give MotorEx a call to see what they think. The 25 year law is void if he's got citizenship in another country, they'll allow you to have temporary registration here for 2 years. After that they'll start knocking on your door to take it away.
Old 04-25-2007
Registered!!

BigD001 can only hope to improve

There a site where you can that list what cars can be imported in the usa and they have a number where you can call if it doesn't show it, sorry i forgot the site it was. I know hondas talking about about bring that type-r to the usa but don't know when or if it sure, one thing is honda say if they do bring here it's going to been a downgrade verison like the 240 and the other cars that are sold in both us and japan.

As for the s15 it's not legal to bring it in the usa, and only legal if it's for race use only, thats the only way. Trust me I've tried, My uncle works for an indy race team and his team owner said he'll bring it over for me if it's legal here.
Old 04-25-2007
Registered!!

PitchBlack is just really nicePitchBlack is just really nicePitchBlack is just really nicePitchBlack is just really nice

I'm not saying there are bad people in the states that will mess up your car, but there are bad people in the states that will mess up your car, best bet is to sell it, get something else here, then buy something else when you get back home, I like your ride but in the states someone will f*ck it up just because its different and just because they can get away with it...
Old 04-25-2007
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

Originally Posted by DeX
You can bring it over just fine, just talk to RIS (I think) or even just give MotorEx a call to see what they think. The 25 year law is void if he's got citizenship in another country, they'll allow you to have temporary registration here for 2 years. After that they'll start knocking on your door to take it away.
RIV, not RIS. Sorry, it's the Restricted Import Vehicle list. I just remembered.
Old 04-25-2007
Registered!!

2k1_Toaster will become famous soon enough

Also I know the biggest problem with imports from Europe to America is some stupid 5mph bumper crash test where it has to be cheaper to replace the bumper, than to replace something else... Cant really remember, but when I wanted to import a ForTwo, that was reason #1.

Then reason #2, was that the headlights are not DOT. The shine and reflect up off the road, to illuminate signs in the US and Canada. In Europe the signs are not as reflective, it is more of a direct illumination, so basically you will blind your self, or it will be hard to see the sign because of glare with euro headlights (true euro headlight).

Other than that, if it passes emmsions in Europe, it will pass here.
Old 04-25-2007
Feel safe at night, sleep with a paramedic.

AmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond repute

if it breaks down you'll have to "overnight parts, from Japan"