Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

Sliding on ice (HELP)

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kelvin1262003 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Sliding on ice (HELP)

Since my last thread got shut down, I decided to start a new one. Does anyone know how to control your civic if you so happen so slip on ice (automatic though).
Old 11-27-2005
Registered!!

dacivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Get snow tires and don't drive too fast.

Read this tirerack.com Tech section http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/
Old 11-27-2005
Back From The Banned!

CuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice
in ice?? thats a bit tough.... depending on how fast youre going, you can dial in some counter steer but be prepared to turn the wheel the opposite way in a split second.... and dont slam on the brakes.
Old 11-27-2005
I log in from time to time
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to behold
drive slower and dont try to act cool by sliding in the snow. that's stupid and can lead to an accident.
Old 11-27-2005
Registered!!

micks7thgen is an unknown quantity at this point
the only thing good for ice is studded tires and that is it you can have any other tire and they all perform the same on ice(like sh*t)
Old 11-27-2005
I just burnt my tongue

ragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really nice
last time i checked ice was very slipery in my hand from a cup of ice water...but than again that the most ammount of ice we get here in cali hahah...anyways just drive slowly, use chains if needed, dont panic and hit the brake and avoid driving as much as possible
Old 11-27-2005
Registered!!

dre2600 is an unknown quantity at this point
If you begin to slide, -avoid as much as possible touching the brake-, you can maybe try to throttle in less, but if you panic and hit the brake you could induce a spin and you might not like that. Your best bet is low speeds and ice tires. Start braking signifigantly before you come to a stop behind another car to avoid sliding into him, watch lesser-used residential roads (they tend to get salted/plowed less, lots of ice). Once you start sliding on ice you essentially have no traction, if you can keep the car straight you might be okay, if you can maybe try to point it in a certain direction that might help too. Counter-steering does work to a certain extent, but if theres anyone else on the road it would be ill-advised to do that, plus the *** of the car might come around on you.
Old 11-27-2005
Registered!!

kelvin1262003 is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, rite now I have some Nordic Tires, they're suppose to be winter tires I can't really tell da differnce until i brake. It's a bit better but once i slip on icei just can't do anything when i'm Turning too, i run into da curb.
Old 11-27-2005
Registered!!

AlienX will become famous soon enough
i found that when ur *** starts coming out, give GAS !! as much as possible, it should pull you a bit forward causing it to come back in.. practice this a little bit in an empty parking lot so you know how the car is going to react, this might cause you just to go sideways but its better then 360. Like i said b4, go to a parking lot and practice some extreme driving after a good snow fall.
Old 11-27-2005
Registered!!

jameslinkinpark will become famous soon enoughjameslinkinpark will become famous soon enough
the best advice i can give is if you're gonna spin out just turn into the spin. if you try to go the other way, you'll slide all over the place. Just be safe and dont do anything stupid. ice is unpredictable, even if you do think you know how to handle it.
Old 11-27-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
you're supposed to turn the wheel in the direction you're skidding so the tires catch traction for a second but doesn't always work. Use brakes very carefully but if you're on pure ice there's no chance really. In an auto you can always take off in D2, cause that will start and keep you in second gear which takes longer to get going.
Old 11-27-2005
Registered!!

i say walk to your destination cuz you will probably get there faster and you can point and laugh at the people who are sliding into stuff or cant get up hills.
Old 11-27-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
ya i avoid snow driving anyway i can
Old 11-27-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Put your foot on the GAS not the brake and gently correct.
Old 11-27-2005
Registered!!

just think when the flying car is made available for mass production the only thing we will have to worry about is turbulence and the others zipping around.
Old 11-27-2005
Ride BMX

Mutha Fn FBM 85 will become famous soon enoughMutha Fn FBM 85 will become famous soon enough
Old 11-28-2005
Registered!!

Pitman is an unknown quantity at this point
Drive slow homie.

Best bet when driving on ice is drive slow, from the past few winters, I've seen dudes going atleast 60mph on icy *** roads, they wilding out. I've driving grandma status in the winter, no more than 20mph thru heavy snow roads, 20mph gives me enough control to make stops, and sudden turns.