Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2002 EX A/C issue. Thermal protector?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chadds is an unknown quantity at this point
2002 EX A/C issue. Thermal protector?

Hello, I have just purchased a 2002 EX over the weekend.

I am having an issue with the AC. When first starting the car, the AC works great, ice cold. After the car has heated up, the compressor clutch disengages, and will not come back on until the car has completely cooled. Freon level is right where it should be. The fan DOES come on when pressing the AC button even when the compressor does not.

From doing some google searches, my guess is the thermal protector on the compressor. Would anyone like to agree or disagree with this? Anything else I should be considering?

If it is the Thermal Protector, I have 2 questions. First, what is the part number? I have not had luck looking it up.

2nd, how can I bypass this protector until I get it fixed? Yes, I know the risks. Where is the easiest place to access the wires I need to jump?

Thank you!

Last edited by chadds; 08-31-2015 at 05:16 AM. Reason: Forgot a point
Old 08-31-2015
Registered!!

Re: 2002 EX A/C issue. Thermal protector?

So I tried jumping the thermal protector. No luck. There IS 12 volts going through the middle wire. Is this the power source that actually engages the clutch?

If it is, I must have a bad clutch, but it will engage when the car is completely cool ?
Old 08-31-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chadds
So I tried jumping the thermal protector. No luck. There IS 12 volts going through the middle wire. Is this the power source that actually engages the clutch?
Yes
If it is, I must have a bad clutch, but it will engage when the car is completely cool ?
Probably excessive air gap between the clutch plate and the pulley.
Gap should be about 0.5mm, if your car has a bunch of miles yours may be worn to more like a full millimeter gap.
Remove the clutch plate and see if you can remove a shim to decrease the air gap?
Old 09-01-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Yes

Probably excessive air gap between the clutch plate and the pulley.
Gap should be about 0.5mm, if your car has a bunch of miles yours may be worn to more like a full millimeter gap.
Remove the clutch plate and see if you can remove a shim to decrease the air gap?
Thank you for the advice? When cold, the clutch engages, when it warms up the clutch will disengage while driving. Does an air gap issue still make sense? I was under the impression that the air gap could prevent the clutch from engaging initially, but once engaged it would stay that way. I could be totally wrong in that assumption though. Thanks.
Old 09-01-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chadds
Does an air gap issue still make sense?
Absolutely.

Heat affects the coil and its magnetic strength. It works better cold.

When there is excessive gap, the field isn't strong enough to pull the plate in when hot, but if you help it to engage it may stay engaged until it cycles off. Then it isn't strong enough to engage again.
Old 09-09-2015
Registered!!

Just wanted to pop in to say thank you ezone! I pulled the clutch a week ago, removed the shim, and with no shim the air gap is now where it should be. My Ac has worked perfectly since