Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

Weird sound at highway speeds...

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Majarvis should not be trustedMajarvis should not be trustedMajarvis should not be trustedMajarvis should not be trusted
Exclamation Weird sound at highway speeds...

Nothing came up in a search, so here it goes.
I drive a 2004 Acura EL, and it has around 46,000 km on it to date. This sound just started this morning.
What happens is, when travelling on the highway at or above 120 km/h (~75 mph) when passing slower moving vehicles, an odd sound eminates from somewhere in the car (I can't put a finger on where it is coming from). It sounds like a beeping noise, almost like an alarm, but that isn't what it is, it's a mechanical-sounding kind of beeping...
I thought at first that it may have been a brake-pad wear indicator, but since the sound does not occur under braking, or lower speeds, I'm thinking that isn't what is the root of the sound.
So, I'm just wondering if anyone has had this happen to their car before? Could it perhaps be a wheel bearing? Like I said, the sound only occurs at speeds at or over 120 km/h.
I did a quick check under the car, and nothing appears to be broke, or hanging down, so I'm at a loss as to what it is.
I'm going to have Acura check it out on the weekend.
Thanks
Old 08-03-2005
Registered!!

fixeruper is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Majarvis
I thought at first that it may have been a brake-pad wear indicator, but since the sound does not occur under braking, or lower speeds, I'm thinking that isn't what is the root of the sound.
i think it is the brakes, b/c i recently had the same thing it would make sound when going 75-80 but it also did it when going like 5mph. never hurts to check them!
Old 08-03-2005
Registered!!

Majarvis should not be trustedMajarvis should not be trustedMajarvis should not be trustedMajarvis should not be trusted
Originally Posted by fixeruper
i think it is the brakes, b/c i recently had the same thing it would make sound when going 75-80 but it also did it when going like 5mph. never hurts to check them!
Hmmm... yeah that is what I thought at first too. But like I said, the thing that leads me to believe it isn't the brakes is that it doesn't make the sound when actually applying them.
Regardless of what I think it is, I'll get it checked out on Saturday...
Old 08-03-2005
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all
thats how the indicators work, get new pads.
Old 08-03-2005
Registered!!

fixeruper is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah i went throught the same thing, it was almost completely random but when i checked them out it was the teller, anyway gl and my honda dealership didnt know what it was, lol
Old 08-04-2005
Registered!!

Ah okay, thanks guys.