Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

01 to 03 cluster conversion - link to pictures!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005
Tighter than a third eye after 1 week in prison.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Caucasian.Asian is a jewel in the roughCaucasian.Asian is a jewel in the roughCaucasian.Asian is a jewel in the roughCaucasian.Asian is a jewel in the rough
^yes
Old 08-04-2005
98% of people will die in their lifetime
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

EnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questioned
what did you do with the plugs that were in the 04 but not the 02? on the 02 blue connector its missing...
white/red
green/yellow
red/black
blue/orange
so do you just forget about them and leave them hanging out or what?
also i use the wire harness's i have now right? i dont need to get 04 harness's?
Old 08-04-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
looks like i'll be doing this soon. i guess i'll read through this but any small things I should know?
Old 08-04-2005

EnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questioned
^^i'm about to do it right now, just need my question answered and i'm good to go, lol.
Old 08-04-2005
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
well i think you just rewire the existing plug. Pull out the pins and plug them in different spots.

did you read this diy?
http://temp.dirtysamurai.com/gauge/convert.html
Old 08-04-2005

yeah i just read that but the blue plug for the 03 cluster has wires that the 02 doesnt have. i just need to know what should i do for those wires.
Old 08-04-2005
Premium Member

i don't understand. The plug is in your 02 cluster right? The new 03 cluster shouldn't have a plug in it.
Old 08-04-2005

according to the DIY you unplug wires from your 02 cluster harness and reconnect them according to a 03 cluster harness. but the 03 cluster has 4 wires that a 02 cluster doesnt have. so what would i do? just dont plug anything into those 4 spots?
Old 08-04-2005
Premium Member

yea don't plug em in. i would ask infinite012 just to be sure...
Old 08-04-2005

and its the opposite for the green plug. the 01 harness has wires that the 03 doesnt have, so i assume i just wouldnt do anything with those. so thats the only thing confusing me so i sent a PM to infinite and caucasian.asian.
Old 08-04-2005
I log in from time to time

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to behold

in this picture we see that the 2004 honda civic VP (a.k.a. old school gauges) have the following wires that connect to either nothing or to the green plug:

white/red stripe
green/yellow stripe
red/black stripe
blue/orange stripe

now some of those MAY or MAY NOT be needed for this DIY to be complete, but i am unsure of what i did, at the moment. also, i have no way of checking the wiring because my sister drives the car now, whereas i am left with my miata. go me

on the green plug, we have the following wires that will NOT be present in your existing [green plug] wiring:

blue/orange stripe (will need to be moved from blue plug to green)
pink (will need to be moved from blue plug to green)
red/black stripe (will need to be moved from blue plug to green)
blue/red stripe (probably not needed, so stick it in an arbitrary (read: not used) spot)
blue/yellow stripe (probably not needed, so stick it in an arbitrary (read: not used) spot)
green/yellow stripe (will need to be moved from blue plug to green)

now for the following quote from taz757 who PMed me this information:
Originally Posted by taz757
You need to update your how-to on the 01-02 to 03+ cluster swap.

When I went and did mine, I found out the hard way that the yellow/black wire from the green connector had to be extended to reach into the blue connector.

What I did was clip off the extra white/red wire, since it was long, and then spliced it into the yellow/black wire. That way it'll reach over there. Remind them that if they do that, they need to cap off the white/red since it's a 12v constant wire.

Other than that, I think that was it. Pretty straight-forward and easy swap. I'm glad that I *had* to do it.
so, if you're looking at your plugs and the schematics and you notice that one plug has a colored wire that is referenced in the schematics as being put into the OTHER plug, then you have to extend that wire so it reaches the other plug. it's kind of hard to explain, but if you were local i would show you what i meant and do the swap for you for like $5.

Last edited by infinite012; 08-04-2005 at 06:33 PM.
Old 08-04-2005
Premium Member

oh man looks like i'm gonna need to study the wire diagram a bit before trying this. I didn't know wires went from one plug to the other.
Old 08-04-2005

dirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to behold
it's cake, gearbox. i'll probably end up doing something in excel so that it's easier to understand what goes where. in fact, i'll start doing that now. i'll probably be done in an hour or so
Old 08-04-2005
Premium Member

sweet! i won't have the cluster for another week at best, but thanks I'm sure I'll use it. Decided to go with the coupe cluster with red rings
Old 08-04-2005

oohhh, so some of the wires will also be switched from the blue plug to the green and vise versa.
Old 08-04-2005
Wanna see a donkey show?

cg95660 is an unknown quantity at this point
Is there no way to match the mileage. Some kind of prom chip. If there was a way i would attempt this.
Old 08-04-2005

Originally Posted by cg95660
Is there no way to match the mileage. Some kind of prom chip. If there was a way i would attempt this.
go to a speedo shop. not the ones where they sell tiny men's swim trunks, but the places they calibrate cop car speedometers. they will be able to reflash your mileage for a price.
Old 08-04-2005

http://temp.dirtysamurai.com/gauge/wiring.xls

there is the wiring chart! hope this helps (and i REALLY hope it makes sense.)

the box with 2 wires that are 2 different colors is a tricky one. you'll have to test to see which one makes it work. or you could try splicing the two wires together and hope to the car gods that you don't blow a fuse...or the cluster...or your car.

Last edited by infinite012; 08-04-2005 at 07:24 PM.
Old 08-04-2005

link doesnt work for me?
also just to double check, the 04 civic vp diagram is what our harness looks like now and the 03 civic diagram is telling us what wire goes where correct?
Old 08-04-2005
Tighter than a third eye after 1 week in prison.

Caucasian.Asian is a jewel in the roughCaucasian.Asian is a jewel in the roughCaucasian.Asian is a jewel in the roughCaucasian.Asian is a jewel in the rough
^configure your harness to match the 2003 harness (pictured in excel)

bro, do you just want to call me? i can help you out a lot easier that way...
pm me if you do...
Old 08-04-2005

if the link doesn't work then here's a pic

Old 08-04-2005

i finally understand it now!!
except for #17, 2 wires plug into 1?
Old 08-04-2005

Originally Posted by EnProceso
i finally understand it now!!
except for #17, 2 wires plug into 1?
that's the thing that i'm unsure of. either wire should theoretically work. just connect one and tape the other one off so that it can't touch any metal. i'm also assuming that you could splice both wires together and have just 1 connector for 2 wires, saving you a lot of hassle, but i don't know if this will work. it may blow a fuse up, or your car up.
Old 08-04-2005
Got Bags?

HondaNation is on a distinguished road
nice
Old 08-09-2005
Premium Member

now i'm even more confused. thanks I'll look it over. So the 2 into 1 just pick one wire I gues.
Old 08-10-2005
Life is better with 5lug

HondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to all
how much??
Old 08-10-2005

hey this isn't a for sale thread. gtfo
Old 08-10-2005
Life is better with 5lug

HondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to all
whoa...I swear somone posted a 2004 cluster for sale.......sorry.....lol
Old 08-10-2005
Smuggling bananas and mexicans all for one low price...

TheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond repute
^now THAT'S funny!
Old 08-10-2005
Premium Member

nope nobody posted anything for sale here

anyway, hey i've been hearing that the new clusters stay on even tho the parking lights are off. is there a way to change that?

Quick Reply: 01 to 03 cluster conversion - link to pictures!