Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7thgenshifter is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Need advice

i HAve and 03 civic and got a new spindle on my right arm. now i need to do the alinment on the front cause its pulling hard to the right . HOW DO U ADJUST CAMBER ON THE FRONT TIRES DO U NEED A CAMBER KIT? IF SO WHICH ONE? i just dont wana pay a shop to do it its to expensive.
Old 03-27-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: Need advice

To do an alignment properly and with any degree of effectives the car needs to be on an alignment rack, take it to a shop.
Old 03-27-2011
Registered!!

so ur telling me theres no way to do it urself? how much does alinment cost is there no tool to buy i want to be able to align my cars for life and not pay a shop every time. what the cost around theses days?
Old 03-27-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

It's around $50 a wheel.

You could get a very rough approximation of a proper alignment adjusting bolts, but it wouldn't be worthwhile because it would still be bad enough that you burn through tires. Go get an alignment done and when you see whats involved you'll understand why you can't just DIY and eyeball it.
Old 03-27-2011
Registered!!

ty ill go im just stubbron tanx mang
Old 03-27-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

the alignment machine costs $10k+
Old 03-27-2011
Registered!!

Too Tall will become famous soon enoughToo Tall will become famous soon enough

If you replaced the spindle yourself, you should have the mechanical experience to align it yourself. It will be a lot of work, but it may cost next nothing.

Park the car on level pavement. Keep in mind the street has a crown in it. Adjust air pressure to your preference. Eye ball the front tire just to see if it is far enough out to see.

Center the steering wheel and measure from one front tire to the other at the front and rear of the tires. That will tell you toe in. If the one tire is pointing straight with the steering wheel straight, adjust the other tire.

You can then measure chamber by placing a bubble level vertically against the tire. Compare to the other front tire.

That will get you as close as possible by eyeball and measuring what you can.

If it is close enough to drive safely, drive it long enough to get the tire hot. Park it and immediately pour water over the tire tread. Watch how the water evaporates. The hot part of the tread will dry out faster. Those parts of the tread will wear faster, and tell you how to adjust the alignment.

If the outer or inner edge of the tread drys out first, adjust chamber to take weight off the side of the tire that dried out first.

If you get a water drying pattern of feathering, you need to adjust the toe in. Most tire and auto part stores have a pad on the counter that has pictures of various types of tire wear.

It may take several tries to get it really close. If you get good tire wear patterns, your alignment is good. It is actually a good learning exercise, you will develop a good understanding of suspension components.

For the record, I have done this on my rear drive cars. I have not done it on a front drive car. The older I get, the easier it is to pay and get it done by a shop.

Last edited by Too Tall; 03-27-2011 at 10:39 PM.
Old 03-27-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

^Interesting tips, have you done your own alignments using these methods in the past?

If so, how good were the results compared to pro-alignments?
Old 03-27-2011
Registered!!

If so, how good were the results compared to pro-alignments?
Sometimes better, at least better than the worst alignments. Not easy, but cheap if you have the tools and experience.
Old 03-28-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

for easier adjustment, use plates with grease in between under the tires so you can change the alignment with the car on the ground.
To OP, pulling to one side is more likely toe, not camber
Old 03-28-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

You can always do a huge burnout in your driveway and then pour the water on Good tips on the self alignment. I've heard of people drawing chalklines along their car and other stuff too but not totally sure how that works.
Old 03-28-2011
Registered!!

for easier adjustment, use plates with grease in between under the tires so you can change the alignment with the car on the ground.
To OP, pulling to one side is more likely toe, not camber
I agree toe is more likely to cause pulling to one side.

My explanation is brief, skipped a lot of details. You should have the wheels off the ground when making some of the adjustments, especially chamber.

I suppose the chalk lines are used a reference points.
Old 03-28-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

I still prefer to use steel plates with grease in between - they will move enough to do the job at ride height, especially the rears with the huge camber angle changes during the stroke.
Naturally, you can do it lifting the car, but you would need to measure the angles at rest, then check the angles when lifted and then change them, then remasure when you put it back in the ground.

Not saying against, just that this works easier and slightly more accurate. consider this comment as adding to yours
Old 03-28-2011
Registered!!

2005civiclx is a jewel in the rough2005civiclx is a jewel in the rough2005civiclx is a jewel in the rough

to the op an alignment at sears is 60 dollars and you get a warranty for a couple of months and they work on lowered cars. (well the one in my city does) so its not that expensive and like what mindbomber said watch what they do and you really will realize that paying is better than trying to do it yourself on this one.
Old 03-28-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

yeah, i know what i am doing so can adjust the alignment - unfortunately i don't have a flat surface back home to work on, so lots of adjustments...
Old 03-29-2011
Registered!!

tx mang good advice ill let u know if it works
Old 03-29-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gearbox
the alignment machine costs $10k+
I must have missed this when I read through this thread but I gotta say LOL