Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here.

2008 honda civic brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sf3r8z is an unknown quantity at this point
2008 honda civic brakes

A little google research has indicated that the brake pads on this car are likely to be sub standard and apt to fail prematurely. I have about 23,000 miles on the originals. In light of this, i need to get the name of another brand of pads and where to purchase them. Appreciate any advice.
Old 09-22-2015
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2008 honda civic brakes

I have a 2002 and I currently have Hawk Performance Ceramic pads on my car. I like them. Good stopping power, not terrible on dust, but not bad, considering they're performance pads. I have probably 20-30k on them with no issues, though I haven't looked at how much they've worn lately.

$76.73 for the fronts at thmotorsports.com, $71.36 for the rears, free shipping on orders over $75. Use coupon code "threeoffthm2temp" for 3% off, repeat customers get an automatic 3% off.

They used to be an authorized vendor here back when this site was 7thgencivic.com, and I've ordered from them many times in the past, so I can vouch for them being a good site.

No matter what pads you get, make sure you get your rotors machined and you do a proper bed-in procedure for maximum efficiency.
Old 09-22-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The brakes don't really "fail" as in some scary disaster, they just wear faster than some people expected.

You have a 2008 LX?
23k is pretty darn low miles.
Are your front brakes worn enough to need replaced yet?
I would not bother replacing brakes until those are worn out, you may as well get all the life out of them that you can.

Honda offers the original type front brake pads, and now they also offer longer life front brake pads.

Original part # 45022-SNE-A00
Long life part # 45022-SNE-A50

(LX has drum brakes in the rear....they will probably outlast the car.)
Old 09-22-2015
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I had no idea the LX had rear drums. I thought all 8thgen's had rear discs.. I guess I was wrong.
Old 09-22-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

DX and LX got drums in the rear.. EX and Si got disc.
Old 09-23-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sf3r8z is an unknown quantity at this point

Didn't necessarily think i needed to replace the pads but since i saw several sites on the internet that said that those on this particular model for 2008 wore out before they should, i thought i'd see what the forum had to say. As you say, 23,000 miles is not much milage but if these pads are defective, i wanted to confirm it with someone. Since i'm not getting a clear answer on this, i guess the safe thing to do is take the car in and have them checked. Thanks.