Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Complete Newb needs schoolin'

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
masterguns is an unknown quantity at this point
Complete Newb needs schoolin'

I have an 02 coupe. It makes a clunking noise on turns and potholes. Do I likely need new struts or new shocks or both? I'm not sure what our cars have. I was thinking of getting the Tokico Shock & Spring kit (HPK309) but didn't want to get it to the mechanic and him say I need new struts as well and be out even more. I guess my question is what does an 02 coupe have stock? front/rear struts shocks or both? (BTW: I read the FAQ and didn't help)
Old 01-20-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: Complete Newb needs schoolin'

Front struts, rear shocks.
Old 01-20-2012
Registered!!

whatsaricer is an unknown quantity at this point

Edit: My bad, bomber beat me to it lol

"Suspension
MacPherson strut front suspension
Double wishbone rear suspension
Four-wheel independent suspension"

from http://www.edmunds.com/honda/civic/2...res-specs.html

as a heads up if your getting a clunking noise when turning(and that term can be used for many different noises) you may have a tie rod issue as well.

I would have your mechanic check everything out for you and then just get a quote and buy the parts yourself or something. Its not worth replacing the wrong parts, trust me.
Old 01-20-2012
Registered!!

masterguns is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys, I'll definitely take your advice and have a guy look at it before buying anything.
Old 01-20-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

could also be the lower ball joint or the control arm bushings both can be visually inspected yourself. the control arm bushings are notorious for going bad on these cars.
Old 01-20-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

naturally if the struts/shocks are bad, it's a good time to do them, or else yer gonna need another alignment soon down the road.
Old 01-20-2012
Registered!!

Speed9117 will become famous soon enough

I second lowlife. I had a clunking noise and it ended up being the front compliance bushings (front LCA) if that's the case go with some Energy Suspension Polyurethane bushings. They're pretty cheap and high quality stuff.