Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

My car squeaks when turning?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dipstyck is an unknown quantity at this point
Question My car squeaks when turning?

Hi, I am new to the forums. I have a 2002 civic which I recently replaced both the shocks and the struts on this car. I left the shop and the car still squeaks when it turns. It use to make a popping sound like (POP) when I went over bumps and drove the car quickly. My car has 72000 miles on it. In good condition and I don't drive it often daily maybe 3 miles to work and home. I don't know what else could be causing this squeaking noise. Any advise to bring to my mechanics attention? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-19-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: My car squeaks when turning?

If the car makes the popping sounds when going over bumps then it means your LCA bushings are toast, the part itself is cheap but also fundamentally defective. I'd suggest upgrading to poly bushings, although it will make the ride a bit rougher they'll last the life of the car. The squaking likely is your strut bearings, they just need to be taken out and regreased. The labour on the bushings should be around $200, the labour on the bearings should be free since your mechanic neglected that originally.
Old 02-19-2011
Registered!!

combinatorix has a spectacular aura aboutcombinatorix has a spectacular aura aboutcombinatorix has a spectacular aura about

Does it sound like more like a mechanical squeak or a high-pitched squeal that lasts for a second after you finish turning?

The popping sounds like bad bushings. If its squealing while turning, it could be your power steering is having issues.
Old 02-20-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

its your power steering belt or AC compressor belt. its loose.
Old 02-20-2011
Registered!!

prist is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dipstyck
Hi, I am new to the forums. I have a 2002 civic which I recently replaced both the shocks and the struts on this car. I left the shop and the car still squeaks when it turns. It use to make a popping sound like (POP) when I went over bumps and drove the car quickly. My car has 72000 miles on it. In good condition and I don't drive it often daily maybe 3 miles to work and home. I don't know what else could be causing this squeaking noise. Any advise to bring to my mechanics attention? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Check the upper and lower ball joints
Old 02-20-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,203 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

huhn, no. a 7th gen is strut - no upper ball joint
Old 02-20-2011
Registered!!

Thanks everyone for answering me, it turns out to be my arms on the car, they are worn and the rubber is gone, they are replacing it tomorrow for FREE for their mess up. I knew I wasn't crazy hearing this sound, Dumb question what is LCA? I am new to the car lingo.
Old 02-20-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

LCA=Lower control arm. Honda's old suspension, double-wishbone, had two arms. A lower and upper(duh). This provided better handling, but I guess for cost reasons they went to the McPherson Strut setup which only features one control arm(lower) and one ball joint(which is what sdaidoji is talking about).
Old 02-20-2011
Registered!!

this is a link explaining what happened to my car

http://www.car-stuff.com/hondacontrolarm.htm

Thank you all for your help it is so appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-20-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

That's what these guys are here for. Glad to hear everything got sorted out.
Old 02-20-2011
Registered!!

thanks for the great advice, prosteer is what i am putting on the car...I am so happy and excited at the same time...Thank you everyone...I thought I was crazy but I guess this is a common problem with Civic's. I love my car so much...I hope that this will do the trick

Dipstyck

Originally Posted by MindBomber
If the car makes the popping sounds when going over bumps then it means your LCA bushings are toast, the part itself is cheap but also fundamentally defective. I'd suggest upgrading to poly bushings, although it will make the ride a bit rougher they'll last the life of the car. The squaking likely is your strut bearings, they just need to be taken out and regreased. The labour on the bushings should be around $200, the labour on the bearings should be free since your mechanic neglected that originally.
Old 02-21-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dipstyck
I guess this is a common problem with Civic's.
unfortunately for all of us, the LCA bushings are really the case you mention...
glad your case is solved
Old 02-22-2011
Registered!!

MartinL will become famous soon enoughMartinL will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
unfortunately for all of us, the LCA bushings are really the case you mention...
glad your case is solved
I had the popping noise over bumbs and swapped out the bushing..stopped that noise. I'm happy because to get home I have to drive through a school zone that is comprised of 7 speed bumps!!
Old 02-22-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by MartinL
I'm happy because to get home I have to drive through a school zone that is comprised of 7 speed bumps!!
did all the students come to the windows to check what was that noise?
Old 02-23-2011
Registered!!

MartinL will become famous soon enoughMartinL will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
did all the students come to the windows to check what was that noise?

They came to help me find my lost candy puppy

>.>

haha