Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

coilover conversion questions...

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1.7lciviclx2001 is an unknown quantity at this point
coilover conversion questions...

alright i have stock suspension on my 2001 civic.. what do i have to do to switch over to coilovers.. does overything come with the kit..

now the cheaper way... what do i have to replace to fix the roller coaster effect i get every time i hit a bump..
Old 04-06-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,159 Likes on 807 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: coilover conversion questions...

if you get a coilover set, the most you'd have to get (if not already included) would be the upper mount for the front struts.. I can only speak for Tein because that's the only suspension company I've used, but you can buy the pillowball upper mounts (or opt for them in the kit for an extra ~$200)..

For your current situation, sounds like you got some blown shocks.. fairly simple to swap them out. if you search, you can use this DIY to swap your struts..
Old 04-07-2010
Registered!!

thanks.. what if i want to lower my car by like an inch.. just buy shorter coil springs?
Old 04-07-2010
Registered!!

tattooedfreak is an unknown quantity at this point

That, or go w/ adjustables then you can go up or down when u want. Do yourself a favor and dont buy cheap ****. Been down that road before, aint worth wastin ur time or money
Old 04-07-2010
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tattooedfreak
That, or go w/ adjustables then you can go up or down when u want. Do yourself a favor and dont buy cheap ****. Been down that road before, aint worth wastin ur time or money
Yup. Do it right the first time, it'll save you more money in the long run.

However, a tokico HP strut (blues) paired with tein s-tech springs or eibach sportlines will give you just shy of a 1.5" drop (1.3/1.4" FR and 1.4" F/R, respectively) and won't pre-maturely wear out on you. It's also (fairly) cost effective. Brand new for that set, you'd be looking at spending about $650 whereas a full adjustable coilover kit, you'd be spending upwards of $1100.

Also make sure you install a camber kit to prevent uneven wear of your tires.
Old 04-08-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,456 Likes on 1,207 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Yup. Do it right the first time, it'll save you more money in the long run.

However, a tokico HP strut (blues) paired with tein s-tech springs or eibach sportlines will give you just shy of a 1.5" drop (1.3/1.4" FR and 1.4" F/R, respectively) and won't pre-maturely wear out on you. It's also (fairly) cost effective. Brand new for that set, you'd be looking at spending about $650 whereas a full adjustable coilover kit, you'd be spending upwards of $1100.

Also make sure you install a camber kit to prevent uneven wear of your tires.
not only that, but a high neg camber in the rears make the car too much understeering. front camber do not change because they are struts
Old 04-15-2010
Registered!!

hey riceboy.. where is a good place to buy the $650 set you were talking about?? thanks everyone
Old 05-22-2010
Registered!!

kash09 is an unknown quantity at this point

It also depends on if you can fix it yourself. If not the mechanic doesnt give you warranty on his work if you buy your own stuff!!

I recently bought Tokico blues + Eibach sportlines a week ago, I could buy it online for a price of less than $800, but unfortunately I dont get a warranty on the work. So I had the Mechanic buy it himself - I would prefer a 1 year warranty on the work rather than saving $ 250 .

If you want to buy it online yourself, here are some sites

1. http://www.truehonda.com/
2.http://performance.yoparts.com/suspension/p-10038.aspx
3.www.ajusa.com
Old 05-22-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Blues + sportlines (s-techs are about the same price) @ dezod.com will run you about $650.. You over paid with that $800..

Sorry for the hella late reply
Old 05-26-2010
Registered!!

I've researched quite a bit on how to swap out the suspension... so i can do that myself.
but how hard is it to install the camber kit? and how much does that cost usually? Thanks guys
Old 05-26-2010
Administrator
Administrator

I've only installed the rear camber kit, and it's all of 3 or 4 bolts.. It's a matter of replacing the upper arm in the rear with an adjustable one.

Just make sure you adjust it as close to oem length as possible, MAKING SURE THE LOCK NUTS ARE TIGHT (lol), and getting an alignment done immediately after.. If you're able to do a strut swap, you should be able to install a camber kit.
Old 05-26-2010
Registered!!

ok