Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Towing with a Civic.....what suspension?

Old 06-03-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hunt4Steve is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Towing with a Civic.....what suspension?

I did use the search button, but didn't find anything related to my issue.

The wife and I are set on getting completely out of debt, so my '05 Tacoma needs to go.

I currently have an '03 Civic HX Coupe that pulls in 48.5MPG (80% HWY/20% city) burning 86 Octane and staying under 60MPH.

Since I commute to and from work 80 miles a day, the Civic would be the better vehicle of the two to keep.

HOWEVER, I also have a dirt bike that I really like to ride and a Harbor Freight trailer that is great for hauling the dirt bike. ETrailer.com sells a hitch that will fit my '03 Civic, allowing me to pull my Harbor Freight trailer with the bike.

So, here is my question.

Are there any coils out there that are considered "Heavy Duty"?

My plan is to attach my 4' x 8' Harbor Freight trailer to my car and pull my dirt bike around to the trails and tracks. I know the tongue weight is only 200lbs, so balancing the bike and gear on the trailer is important. To prevent premature failure of the rear coils, I'd like to find something that has a heavier duty coil rating that what came on my Coupe.

Anybody have any ideas???

Last edited by Hunt4Steve; 06-03-2009 at 01:01 PM.
Old 06-03-2009
Registered!!

Re: Towing with a Civic.....what suspension?

nothing?

nobody has attempted to keep their Civic from dragging its rear while towing?
Old 06-03-2009
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute

Koni rear dampers have 2 snap ring positions. the lower one is the normal ride height, the upper is for towing. it will give you a good inch and a half of extra clearance/compression travel.

I towed a ~600lb Harley + trailer from San Diego to Las vegas with out scraping, and I'm lowered an inch to begin with.

Last edited by Zzyzx; 06-03-2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old 06-04-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Zzyzx
Koni rear dampers have 2 snap ring positions. the lower one is the normal ride height, the upper is for towing. it will give you a good inch and a half of extra clearance/compression travel.

I towed a ~600lb Harley + trailer from San Diego to Las vegas with out scraping, and I'm lowered an inch to begin with.
NICE !! Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I was thinking that maybe the sedan coils would have a higher rating than the coupe coils. If this is the case, maybe those would fit and provide a little stiffer ride, but handle the towing tongue weight better......

Guess nobody else tows with their civics....
Old 06-05-2009
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

my civic couldnt even tow itself filled with stuff. i wouldnt recommend using this car for moving or towing.
Old 06-06-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
my civic couldnt even tow itself filled with stuff. i wouldnt recommend using this car for moving or towing.
Thanks for your feedback.

Moving....definitely not, I'd rent a u-haul for that.

I've got a Harbor Freight trailer that weighs approximately 250lbs
My dirt bike weighs approximately 250lbs,
then some gear in the trunk, maybe 30lbs worth.

so, we are talking a tongue weight of 50lbs or so and pulling maybe, lets error on the heavy side, 750lbs.........

Still too much for a Civic 5spd??
Old 06-06-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i dont think youd make it without having suspension problems when you get there. these cars were designed for one driver and thats it. i hate driving with even a single passenger, it throws off the whole feel of the car and everything becomes harder to do like accelerating, braking, turning, etc.
Old 06-06-2009
Registered!!

i dont think youd make it without having suspension problems when you get there. these cars were designed for one driver and thats it. i hate driving with even a single passenger, it throws off the whole feel of the car and everything becomes harder to do like accelerating, braking, turning, etc.
Yeah, I hear ya. I commute by myself and nothing else in the car...basically, try and keep it as light as possible.

Although, I just installed some better speakers in the doors.....a few ounces more.....

Again, thanks for the reply.
Old 06-07-2009
Registered!!

whitealexander is an unknown quantity at this point

i feel you mates.. one passenger for me is enough though..
Old 06-08-2009
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hunt4Steve
Thanks for your feedback.

Moving....definitely not, I'd rent a u-haul for that.

I've got a Harbor Freight trailer that weighs approximately 250lbs
My dirt bike weighs approximately 250lbs,
then some gear in the trunk, maybe 30lbs worth.

so, we are talking a tongue weight of 50lbs or so and pulling maybe, lets error on the heavy side, 750lbs.........

Still too much for a Civic 5spd??

like I said, the only example of towing I have is transporting my Harley around. and the lil civic does it just fine, with a nominal drop in MPG. 2001, EX 5speed, with 150,000+ miles on the clock.
Old 06-08-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Zzyzx
like I said, the only example of towing I have is transporting my Harley around. and the lil civic does it just fine, with a nominal drop in MPG. 2001, EX 5speed, with 150,000+ miles on the clock.

super thanks for your feedback.
Old 07-06-2009
Registered!!

bigworm is an unknown quantity at this point

I wouln't tow anything with Civic unless you wish to burn your A/T or clutch if you got manual tranny
Old 07-06-2009
Registered!!

I've read a lot of comments about how the 1.7L civic doesn't have enough power to really do much when loaded down.

This past weekend I traveled from Santa Fe, NM to Tucson, AZ with around 200lbs of tools in the trunk, myself and a guitar inside the car. The car did really well. The suspension dropped about 1" overall, and the ride was better with the load, than without the load; not as bouncy. As for performance, I noticed no drop in performance nor accelleration with the load. I was able to get about 34MPG while traveling at a rate of 75mph to 85mph. My engine is stock, air-filter is stock and its a 5-speed. I suppose I'm surprised to read that so many here really feel the hit with people in the car or stuff in the trunk.

Is this really the case, or an exaggeration of sorts with these cars?
Old 07-06-2009
Premium Member

well 200 lbs is quite different than 800+lbs. thats like having one extra person riding with you, or two small girls. and yes ive noticed a difference with an additional passenger. maybe cause i have an auto with 90hp? and your manual is more like 110hp with an extra gear. my car usually cannot even operate in 4th gear, even with just me inside. i have to leave it in d3 to have any sort of power whatsoever on slightly hilly roads.
Old 07-06-2009
Registered!!

I guess that's just because most people feel hondas have different implementation and spirit rather than towing something hehe

anyway look through your user manual. there should be some info re how much you can tow with your car
Old 07-06-2009
Registered!!

I guess that's just because most people feel hondas have different implementation and spirit rather than towing something hehe

anyway look through your user manual. there should be some info re how much you can tow with your car
Old 07-06-2009
Registered!!

well 200 lbs is quite different than 800+lbs. thats like having one extra person riding with you, or two small girls. and yes ive noticed a difference with an additional passenger. maybe cause i have an auto with 90hp? and your manual is more like 110hp with an extra gear. my car usually cannot even operate in 4th gear, even with just me inside. i have to leave it in d3 to have any sort of power whatsoever on slightly hilly roads.

Ahh yes, the Auto transmission. Yes, I can definitely see your point.

I'm really enjoying my 5-speed. The ratio seems to be pretty wide, surprisingly wide. I was in 4th gear pulling 80mph as I climbed a hill, with plenty of rpms still left over.
Old 07-06-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by bigworm
.....anyway look through your user manual. there should be some info re how much you can tow with your car
I actually did look through the manual and it states the car is not designed or setup for towing. I noticed on E-trailer.com they do have a hitch, but some mods need to be done to get it to work.

Well, so far, I have not been able to sell my truck, so I'm still hauling my dirt bike with it. If the truck ever sells, then I'm forced to slap a hitch on my car and pull my dirt bike around, since I have no other way to get it to the track......

at any rate, thank you all for your comments and help in this matter.
Old 12-30-2009
Registered!!

MetalAttack 666 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hunt4Steve
Ahh yes, the Auto transmission. Yes, I can definitely see your point.

I'm really enjoying my 5-speed. The ratio seems to be pretty wide, surprisingly wide. I was in 4th gear pulling 80mph as I climbed a hill, with plenty of rpms still left over.
I have a 5 speed and I know what you're talking about. I have gotten up to 100 mph in 4th. The Rev limiter kick in right about there. Hell I'll just list all of the gear max speeds.
1st - 32 mph
2nd - 55 mph
3rd - 73 mph
4th - 100
5th - 120+
As far as power loss, I can feel If I have over about 200 or so more pounds than just myself. The acceleration and braking take forever!