General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Distracted Driving.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light
Distracted Driving.....

The Ontario (Canada) government upgraded fines and definitions for distracted driving today....

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/know-ontar...175627249.html

Personally I thought the fines were laughable...like 500 points er $500 for hitting a guy a bicycle.

Personally I think if you cause an accident while playing with your cell phone you should face the same punishments as a drunk driver which where I live are...

FAIL, REFUSAL or FAIL TO PROVIDE A BREATH SAMPLE

If your breath sample produces a FAIL result on the ASD, indicating a BAC of not less than 0.08mg/100ml, or you refuse or fail to provide a breath sample, a peace officer may issue a 90-day Immediate Roadside Prohibition (IRP) or at the officer’s discretion, proceed by way of a Criminal Code charge.

If you are issued a 90-day IRP the following consequences will occur:

Your driver's licence is seized immediately, prohibiting you from driving for 90 days.
The vehicle you are driving will be impounded for thirty days; you are responsible for all towing and storage costs.
You are required to pay a $500 administrative penalty.
You may be referred to the Responsible Driver Program.
You may be referred to the Ignition Interlock Program.
You have to apply to have your driver's licence reinstated and pay the licence reinstatement fee as well as any other outstanding debts to ICBC or the Government of BC if you wish to drive again.

See Also, Immediate Roadside Prohibition Penalties

If police proceed by way of a Criminal Code charge police will:

Issue you an immediate 24-hour driving prohibition, and may tow/impound your vehicle.
Detain you for further breathalyzer testing at the police station, and on further confirmed testing of a BAC over 0.08, or upon refusal to provide a breath sample, issue a 90-day Administrative Driving Prohibition (if you refuse to provide a sample of your breath you will be issued an Administrative Driving Prohibition at roadside).
Charge you under the Criminal Code of Canada (s.249-261).

Upon criminal conviction you are subject to:

Court ordered consequences, which include a minimum $1,000 fine, a driving prohibition and possible jail time.
Possible referral to the Responsible Driver Program and / or the Ignition Interlock Program.
Old 09-01-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Distracted Driving.....

I was almost hit twice in my own condo... they suddenly started coming into my lane... they were looking into their phones... agree...
Old 09-01-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stock 99
T
Personally I think if you cause an accident while playing with your
freekin car. Forget the damn phone, the cars themselves are a problem these days.

Have you checked out all of the CRAP manufacturers put in cars these days that a driver can play with?
It's a wonder anyone can get anywhere without hitting anything.

Sometimes I feel like I should pull off the road just to turn on or turn off the AC or heater on some of the cars.

They install so much distracting stuff (and maybe the general intelligence of people on the roads these days is so low) that now they are installing systems to help keep the car in the lane, warn you if you get too close to the lane lines, steer for you so you don't weave out of your lane, warn you of obstacles ahead, tailgate the driver ahead of you, apply the brakes for you, send messages on your phone for you, and more!

the same punishments as a drunk driver which where I live are...
I haven't kept up here, but I think we are up to a year without a license for a first DWI offense and then when you get to drive again you go at least a year with an interlock device. Figure about 3 years total before you get full driving privileges back on a first offense.
And 10 grand in fines and fees.

At least you can get your car out of impound the next day here and they give you about 5 weeks to get your affairs in order before you have to give up driving. I know some people that have received another DWI within that time frame too...

3rd offense is 10 year loss of license.
Old 09-04-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Steeper fines and lose of driving would be good. It is a serious endangerment to others around you. Driving is a privilege not a right!

Like eZone said the cars are just as distracting.

With the lane watch, auto braking and cruise a driver has to pay less attention to driving so they now feel like they can pay more attention to other things like cell phone and kids.

I like to honk the horn if I am driving next to someone on the highway and they are on their phone.
Old 09-04-2015
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

I think it's creepy just how little interest there has been in this thread. In that article it said 500 people died last year in Ontario because of distracted driving. Seems like a high price to pay just to drive. Get to up to go to work and end up dead on the road because somebody is texting thier gf. Wake up people.
Old 09-04-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GolNat

I like to honk the horn if I am driving next to someone on the highway and they are on their phone.
Name:  hRlm4Bql.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  62.4 KB

I've lost track of how many times people have tried to kill me as I ride to work on 2 wheels, and my bike is freekin loud too.
Old 09-05-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Stock 99
I think it's creepy just how little interest there has been in this thread. In that article it said 500 people died last year in Ontario because of distracted driving. Seems like a high price to pay just to drive. Get to up to go to work and end up dead on the road because somebody is texting thier gf. Wake up people.
They did not see, they were distracted forum'ing