Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

weird noises on turns

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nhoJyauQ is an unknown quantity at this point
weird noises on turns

i got my civic from the dealership already lowered. not sure what suspension it is, but when i have people in the back or just make a really sharp turn fast the rear of the car makes a popping noise. it doesnt sound like tire rubbing. sounds like metal popping. anyone know what the problem is?

rear left

ride height

does anything look wrong with the suspension?
Old 03-09-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: weird noises on turns

either installed wrong (not indexed), or the shocks are blown. from that pic, i would say they are still using oem shocks which cannot handle a lowered car at all. theyre prolly all useless and theres no suspension travel at all.
Old 03-10-2009
Registered!!

thanks. im going to buy coilovers. what ones would get my car basically slammed?
Old 03-10-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

well good coilovers are expensive $650-1000 if you want decent ride and good adjustability. and i dont think you wanna slam the car if you have people in the back. youre just gonna rub the tires and cause an accident.
Old 03-10-2009
Registered!!

what are some legit sites to buy coilovers?
Old 04-09-2009
Registered!!

SlowEJ8 is an unknown quantity at this point

Start by brand, Tein, blox, function and forum, etc. Go to their websites, i'm 100% sure they are legit, and will rip u off.
Can't tell you which sites are legit, but if you want to slam your car, i'd get full coilovers, or the sleeves.
You can adjust any height you want if you think its too low or high, can't do that with springs.
Something good i'd suggest at the 900~ range if you got the money, is ground control coilovers+koni yellow shocks, with top hats of course!.
Go check that out, gl!
Old 05-17-2009
Registered!!

TK-421 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gearbox
either installed wrong (not indexed)
hey what do you mean by 'indexed'?
Old 05-17-2009
Premium Member

look at the diy on this site for spring install. the arrows must match up when you put the whole shock/spring together again. if theyre not lined up, you get metal pop sounds. since youre gonna need a whole new setup anyway, just get new shocks and springs and have them installed at a shop that knows what theyre doing. if you still want lowered car, go with a mild drop like 1-1.5inch either eibach prokit or tein s-tech and get some tokico HP blue struts/shocks to go with em. and an spc camber kit so you can align the car properly when its all installed.
Old 05-17-2009
Registered!!

TK-421 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the quick reply.. i wasn't the OP but was just curious about the term indexed.. is that just the case when installing new springs? I'm guessing not with coil overs as they're all ready assembled?
Old 05-17-2009
Registered!!

jagass is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe there's something wrong with your shocks...
Old 05-17-2009
Premium Member

yeah indexing is only when replacing the shocks or springs with new ones and the assembly comes apart. full coilovers are already assembled as one unit.

and yeah, his oem shocks are toasted i can tell by the severe sagging in the rear. prolly some ricer that threw on springs and thought it was good enough. i doubt theres even a camber kit and the car is way out of alignment. what do the tires look like?