General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Got in an accident... almost went to see my maker.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2002
Escaped Convict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CapYoda has a spectacular aura aboutCapYoda has a spectacular aura about
Got in an accident... almost went to see my maker.

Anyway this is my first major traffic collision... and right now. I hurt all over.

um... what happened was I was turning left out of a small avenue, into a major street...

___________________|me|

so yeah. making the left turn. cars are coming from the left... the other lane is clear though... so obviously, all I gotta do is spend up a bit, avoid the cars coming from the left and off I go.

all these cars lined up from the last light, coming closer to me. well I took a look at them and they were far enough. or so I thought anyway. anyway I went for it, I duno what happened. I guess I didn't make it. but the car on the farthest right lane hit me at who knows what mph (35+?) on the rear side of my car. I dont know, I thought I'd make it. weird. when I got hit, I was like hmm. guess not. not much ran through my mind as my car spun around in 360? or 240 degree as other cars that were traveling towards me hard brake trying not to smash dead into me... now that I recall it, I can hear this big XX number wheeler truck hard braking... you can hear the air from the brakes working... I duno how close he was to me. I was too busy spinning around to realize that if those other cars didn't stopped, I would have eat it good.

anyway side air bag popped out. I'm not sure how well that helped me... I suppose from a side collision like that, I should have broken a bone on my right shoulder or right arm or something.. but all I had was an ache that probably will go away. so I'm glad I invested 250 in that.

car wasn't drivable cuz from the looks of it the rear axel is broken and I think I blown the struts since fluids are leaking... umm.. there's bumper damage. obviously. and the sheet metals are bend... sigh. those are what's gonna cost.

who's fault is this? I told the cops my fault, even though everyone there told me not to admit to it (the crowds that gather and stuff) I duno. when I went for it, I dont know what I did, or when it happened, but I either gave too much gas or let out too much clutch, and the wheel spin a bit.. in either case, I should have just made a right turn, then a U turn. sigh.

the thing is, all these other cars were with him... I dont know how he hit me, while none of the other cars did.... heck, after he hit me and I started spinning around, the other cars braked enough to not hit me... so obviouslyt he guy didnt' brake when he saw me going... (now I still caused the accident... but geez, I wished the dude would have corrected my mistake by braking with everyone else too) anyway, I suppose the smarter thing to do is to keep quiet and not say a word. the man (late 40s?) didn't say much. he told me to call the cops. he didn't even have his license on him though. so he got a ticket for that.

well. I think thats it. rough day. few hours earlier I told my girl I love her too. now good thing I did cuz if I died there I wouldn't want to die without telling her that. lol. this happened right outside of a Honda dealership too.. so all these Honda peeps came running out. they were pretty helpful. we went to get our oil change. I left first cuz I needed to go home and pee. lol. she told me to wait for her. I thought she was right behind me in her car. guess not. good thing too, I'm glad she didn't see it. she would have freaked seeing me getting hit, and spinning and all that. she came out a few minutes later cuz somehow she was delayed by other cars.

okay. long story guys. I didn't really get much sleep last night... or any at all. feels weird. Not sure if I'm suppose to feel extremely sad or guilty or what not.. I'm glad I was spared and the other cars stopped and I didn't get hit full frontal by 3 other cars... but I'm not as glad as I should be I think? feels kinda empty. sigh.

well this is gonna cost both in money and energy. as the cop said to me, make a right turn.. then make a U turn at a controlled intersection. no one got seriously hurt. I walked away without a scratch, just some aches. but still...

sucks huh? I duno if the guy will sue me or not. he got hit by the steering wheel... somehow the sheetbelt didn't stop him really and he hit that... and his airbag didn't go off. everyone thinks he'll sue my *** off, and i'm not sure. heh. they say the world is like that. they say dont tell the truth even when its ur fault... dont say a word so hopefully there will be justice or what not... kinda makes me feel bummy.

sorry for the long post. I'm usually not the type to "vent" but yeah...
Old 01-06-2002
BAD MON

Booohahaha is an unknown quantity at this point
omg, man im really sorrie it had to happen to u
i hate it when people speed up when people are making a left and its clear for them
i bet u that old man was like that
road HOG!!!!!
well the bottom line is that ur alright, those wounds will heal man
but at least u didnt go get urself hurt
let us whats going to u later on when u all rested up
go rest up man and come back when u feel better
aiite coolz
hope ALL GOES WELL!!
Old 01-06-2002
BAK
Registered!!

BAK is an unknown quantity at this point
Damn that $ucks. Luckily your not seriously hurt. You probably should not have told the cops it was your fault, that statement just placed all liability on you. It he wants to sue, it'll come out of your insurance company, not you. That's the one real good thing about insurance. When you hit, did everything start going in slow motion? I broadsided a car at 55mph about 15 years back and it seemed like everything when into slow motion until I stopped moving. Pretty wierd!
Old 01-06-2002
Registered!!

astigmatik is an unknown quantity at this point
i feel for ya man. i was in an accident 2 years ago and i hurt all over too.

you mentioned that "the thing is, all these other cars were with him". and you guess he was traveling around 35m/hr. perhaps he was going so fast that he didn't have any time to brake? maybe he was doing 50m/hr and then slammed on the brakes just like everyone else, but he was going way too fast to slow in time. just something to think about.

anyway, take care of yourself and hopefully insurance will hook you up with another car.
-a-
Old 01-06-2002
Escaped Convict

are you sure about the insurance deal? I have full coverage so I hope so... obviously my insurance rate is gonna go up.. but if it covers me getting sue to shread...

I dont know. when I was spinning around. only thing ran through my mind is "damn I got hit. didn't make it"

for me, it all went by really fast. no time to think. car stopped spinning. I pulled to the side of the road... climb out from the other side, went check on the other guy.

edit: I dont think I'll get a new car cuz the car isn't damaged that bad. only the rear is mesed, gotta replace some parts ont he rear definitely.. but the car is still drivable... oooh crap. now that I think about it, there goes the value of my car. sheesh.

well, I put the post back up cuz I wanted to take it away before anyone read it but n/m. heh.
Old 01-06-2002
Registered!!

aznRUBY is an unknown quantity at this point
wow, just reading that makes you think differently about everything, ne way, i'm sorry to hear what happened, but i'm glad your not seriously hurt, the most important thing is that your alright

as for saying it wasn't your fault, i think it would be difficult to run that considering you were the one that was at the smaller street and making a left turn to get to the other side.. it would be really tough to stick by it, or for anyone even to really believe it since when you really think about it, it makes sense

the other guy wans't hurt was he?? like badly?? that wouldn't be good

anyway.. as long as your alright, that's all that matters, hope you get better soon [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-06-2002
Escaped Convict

nothing broken for him it seems. he got hit by the steering wheel. his chest hurts a bit... cops asked if he wanted paramedics but he said no... I duno. well yeah. I'm glad I'm still well off to type.

well I'm going to take a nap now. heh. thanks for the concern people. hopefully everything works out fine.
Old 01-06-2002
Registered!!

DxMaN is an unknown quantity at this point
If he refused the medical treatment then you are prob. alright. I doubt he'll sue at that point. Otherwise he'd be all:
"My neck...my back...my neck and my back"
But yeah, insurance does cover any lawsuits resulting from the accident, so you're cool there. Of course, they could drop you if they have to pay out 1/4 million dollars or something.

Accidents suck, that's actually why I have my 2k2, b/c some *** rear-ended my celica. It all works out though, and just be happy that you weren't hurt. I know many people that have died in car wrecks recently and being broadsided is one good way to make it happen. good luck dude [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-06-2002
Registered!!

RedDragon333 will become famous soon enough
I feel you man been there in my other car....the most important thing is your alive and well...tired but well. The insurance will fix you up the rate will move up but only for a while.....as far as your car goes over time she'll look like new again...and hey you got to tell your girl that you loved her!
Old 01-06-2002
Escaped Convict

<< and hey you got to tell your girl that you loved her! >>

snicker. yeah. bad thing is she didn't say it back.. I knew she wouldnt', not yet... but yeah. at least she didnt' freak out or anything... at least she was fine with it. anyway thats another story.

well I tried to sleep but no go.

I duno. I was very close to death supposely. feels kinda weird. I mean, any more I would have died, but somehow I still dont feel like I almost died. maybe I'm too ignorant.
Old 01-06-2002
Registered!!

Ronin is an unknown quantity at this point
Good to see that you're alright. That's the most important thing.

You said it was your fault, and from what you described, I think I would have to agree with you. Even if that guy was going slightly over the speed limit, a person going straight always has right of way. But ya, your insurance should cover any legal fees and payouts if the guy sues. Anyways, like I said, most important thing is that you're ok.

Old 01-06-2002
Registered!!

black2k1vtec is an unknown quantity at this point
Glad to hear your ok Cap...sucks man...I doubt he will sue...sounds like he was ok, did you hear anything from any witnesses?? You might get a better picture of where the other dude was coming from, or why you didnt see him...would be nice to know, could bring back something you forgot...man I hate that feeling, at least you didnt see it coming, that is the worst feeling in the world...good luck to ya through all the hastle now.
Old 01-06-2002
Registered!!

01civicboi is an unknown quantity at this point
sux to hear fellow 2k1 members in wrecks[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/IMG] i'm really glad you're ok though
Old 01-06-2002
BOOST JUNKY

SpdRcrChk is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey Yoda...First off I wanan say Im glad to hear that you are O.K. That's the most important thing. As for your car, again, at least YOU'RE ok. If the car cant be fixed...you got insurance. And the fact that you have FULL coverage helps out in the situation, especially if the guy decides to sue you. The only way you would bear the brunt of that situation is if you DIDN'T have insurance. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG] So just try and relax. Dwelling over things only makes you feel more anxious and depressed. Things will work out and hopefully you being honest will be repaid to you someday. Your insurance will go up regardless of wether or not you were at fault in the accident. So just put that behind you and move on. Hey...what doesn't kill u makes you stronger!
Old 01-06-2002
Registered!!

otep12 is an unknown quantity at this point
I had a close call going somewhere 75-80 mph some years ago. Since that time I've let go of the teenage rebel inside me and take it real careful now. I'm glad you're ok. That's the most important thing.
Old 01-06-2002
Registered!!

NeoMagus is an unknown quantity at this point
Its weird that slow mo effect huh???? Getting hit on the highway about 90mph cuz some woman decides to cut over the median isnt fun either. Glad to hear your alright....now your cars got battle wounds too. Be careful tho - I dont know how hospitals are up there but down here where I live THEY SUCK [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/IMG] [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-puke.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-06-2002
Registered!!

VTEC2001CIVIC is an unknown quantity at this point
sux man, hate to hear about anyone getting into an accident--I had a close call last night doin the same thing. guy was flyin and it just didn't look like he was goin that fast til i was already turnin. missed him by a good bit but was still a little freaky. SpdRcrChk is right about the insurance goin up no matter who's fault it is and that always sux. anyway-- make sure your neck and everything is ok before u sign any insurance papers cause u don't want to pay for therapy or anything out of pocket. well--i hate it for u, hope u get to feelin well soon, and that everything goes ok.
Old 01-06-2002
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
Never admit your guilt. Just because the guy didn't have his license on him and because he got a ticket for that might put him at fault. The insurance companies look for who got the ticket because of a traffic violation. That person is usually at fault. When you go to describe the accident describe it from the point of view of innocence. Also, were the double yellow lines broken where you wanted to turn left? If they were, then you did everything right. If they weren't, then you might be at fault.

Anway, sounds not too serious. It would be serious if you blanked out, had more than 4 broken bones, and had a trauma to the head. Fell good man, you made it!
Old 01-06-2002
Registered!!

NitehawkVTEC is an unknown quantity at this point
harsh dude. glad your ok. and things will get worked out. my thoughts are with you.
Old 01-06-2002
Escaped Convict

hey thanks a lot guys.

yeah, the important thing is I'm okay and no body got seriously hurt... but boy do I feel weird.

my mom's chewing me out though. heh. yelling at me and stuff. sorta. ah well. feel like a kid again.

on the plus side, I had this OTHER ticket/citation... and it was a fix-it ticket.. gave it to the cop so he can sign off the correctable violation... heh.. kinda funny telling him "hey I got this other ticket here I need to take care of..." while he was writing me a ticket. heh.

and, I had scratches on the rear bumper already. at least my car will be brand spanky new again.

think I can ask them to replace the rear suspension to the 02's? hehe. jk.

ah well, I feel better now. thanks guys. mom calmed down, and we worked things out. insurance people coming eventually, and we'll see what happens. if anything I'll just have to start taking up a job at the fast food places. heh. doh.
Old 01-06-2002
Escaped Convict

I know what you mean. I learned that now, but I still dont like it. If I killed someone, I wouldn't forgive myself for not admitting to it. Luckily I didn't.

well, there weren't double yellow lines... there are islands seperating the different direction lanes... I have a gap between the islands to make a left turn.

<< Never admit your guilt. Just because the guy didn't have his license on him and because he got a ticket for that might put him at fault. The insurance companies look for who got the ticket because of a traffic violation. That person is usually at fault. When you go to describe the accident describe it from the point of view of innocence. Also, were the double yellow lines broken where you wanted to turn left? If they were, then you did everything right. If they weren't, then you might be at fault.

Anway, sounds not too serious. It would be serious if you blanked out, had more than 4 broken bones, and had a trauma to the head. Fell good man, you made it!
>>

Old 01-06-2002
Registered!!

LexBoy is an unknown quantity at this point
hey at least you are in front of your computer and writing this to us

so juss be relieved that you are alive dude

Old 01-06-2002
Registered!!

emmagatorone is an unknown quantity at this point
One more thing Yoda, (I'm with everyone else here, I feel for ya man) you need to get back out ASAP and drive! I know this sounds a little crazy but trust me, if you don't, it'll never be the same. I know that now it will never be the same for you man but trust me on this, you need to go and drive as soon as you feel better. I saw something on TV where a woman got in an accident making a right hand turn or something and now when she drives, she will plot out her route so she doesn't have to turn right, so she only makes left hand turns and what would normally be a 10 minute trip would now take her 45 minutes or longer! Now I know this is an extreme case and I doubt you would ever do that but even my mother told me after I got in a wreck that I needed to go out and drive to rid myself of my fears. I hope this don't sound too crazy man. I got another story for ya man, I was snowboarding last season and I hucked myself off this 40' cliff a few times and it was all powder so the landing was really nice. I was telling my buddy the last time we went up there that it was getting pretty tracked up and the landing isn't going to be as nice after long. Well, long story short (I'm trying!) that was the last time I hucked myself off it cause I landed in my own tracks and it was like jumping 40' off something onto solid concrete, your body just can't take it! I busted a bone in my face and now when I go up this season so far, it's not the same. I'm all nervous and rigid and stuff. It's like I forgot how to ride or something. Just get better man, take it easy, and go out and drive.
Old 01-06-2002
Registered!!

ScottieEX is an unknown quantity at this point
omg almost the same thing happened to me last night.. i was exactly in your position except i was lucky that i didnt get hit... i was coming out of a parking lot to turn left on a big street just like you described.. the right side was clear, and the left was clear except for this car.. but he had his right blinker on so i thought he was turning into the lot. so i proceeded to turn left.. then when i got on the street i saw him turn off his blinker and approach me.. i was like ' oh crap' and stepped on the gas. i guess it must have been really close and he probably braked.. but i was lucky i didnt get hit... sigh.. another close call. whew..
sorry you got hit cap[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/IMG] i hope it all turns out okay for you.. and the guy dont sue you.. hey.. at least your doing good with your gf[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-06-2002
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
Yeah, that's another thing. Go back out there and drive. I felt really bad after I had my accident. The guy hit me, it was his fault 100%. Still though, I felt like I had no control. Know what I mean? I braked too, when I saw him coming, but I couldn't stop in time. Maybe ABS would have totally prevented the accident?
Old 01-06-2002
2k1civic.com O. G.

AzNmiKex215 will become famous soon enoughAzNmiKex215 will become famous soon enough
im glad ur alrite cap.. hehe.. if u werent.. i wouldnt knoe who'd i buy the "u know what" from.. lol

i dunno how u stayed so calm.. when i got into and accident on I-95( i wasnt driving..) i couldnt stop shaking... and the feeling u get when u see highway traffic comming at u... is crazie...

anyway glad ur OK
Old 01-06-2002
Registered!!

Dave is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey, glad you're ok buddy. Hope everything gets worked out and good luck in the future.
Old 01-06-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ayzan is an unknown quantity at this point
Glad to hear that your okay Cap...Don't worry too much about the accident. Your insurance company will take care of any lawsuits and the car.
Old 01-07-2002
Registered!!

popsiclepete is an unknown quantity at this point
like everyone else, i'm glad to hear ur ok... could obviously have been worse.

i just gotta question: is it true that today's cars are designed to leave the driver without a scratch in all accidents under ~30mph?

i think i heard that somewhere...

btw, i think on regular pavement in certain conditions, ABS makes you have a slightly longer stopping distance...... the main advantage of ABS is that you maintain traction to 'manuever' the car...
Old 01-07-2002
Escaped Convict

umm... I dont know. if you ask me, my hit was more than 30 mph... and I was able to walk off with just body aches... it felt like er.. I accidentally tripped and fell. thats all. but if you ask me, the hit was pretty rough... I got hit hard enough at such an angle that my car spinned. I really think that side air bag helped. I think I would have broken couple bones in my left arm if it wasn't for the side airbag...

anyway, even if the cars are designed that way... there's hardly guarantees that you wont have a scratch...

as for the ABS deal, ABS doesn't really help braking distance... not in a direction sense... not with my knowledge anyway. ABS to my knowledge is use to prevent wheel locks... so the car's braking capability should be the same with or without ABS, like u mentioned, its there to help you keep control of the car, so a wheel lock situation doesn't occur... ABS does what you would have to do manually, pumping the brakes... so if u have ABS, dont bother pumping the brake...

and er.. again thanks for the assurance and concern people. it still feels kinda weird. like it didn't happen. but yeah hopefully the rates wont go up much, or what not, and hopefully insurance can deal with the money involved.

<<
i just gotta question: is it true that today's cars are designed to leave the driver without a scratch in all accidents under ~30mph?

i think i heard that somewhere...

btw, i think on regular pavement in certain conditions, ABS makes you have a slightly longer stopping distance...... the main advantage of ABS is that you maintain traction to 'manuever' the car...
>>