Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Rear Upper Strut Tower Bar for '04

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
standalj should not be trustedstandalj should not be trustedstandalj should not be trusted
Rear Upper Strut Tower Bar for '04

Bad news...just found out that Neuspeed has no intentions (current) of developing a rear upper strut tower bar of '04s...something about the lack of interest.

Anyone with an '04 using an rear upper strut tower bar made by a different manufacturer?

P.S. Good news is that Neuspeed is currently working on a front sway bar for the '04.
Old 01-07-2005
Back From The Banned!

CuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice
yeah well, a lot of us found that out a LONG time ago. haha..... they told me that it wont do enough to the car.... and in some ways, they are right. The good one will be CUsco, it's made for the RSX but still fits in the Civic.... the only other ones that I can think of right now are the ebay ones.
Old 01-07-2005
Search and Learn

civicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nice
Neuspeed already has front sway bar for 7thgen civics.

Rear upper strut bar.
Cusco, Mr.Alex, Spoon sports.
Old 01-07-2005
Registered!!

standalj should not be trustedstandalj should not be trustedstandalj should not be trusted
Originally Posted by civicvtec1ps
Neuspeed already has front sway bar for 7thgen civics.

Rear upper strut bar.
Cusco, Mr.Alex, Spoon sports.
Not for 2004s...the one for 2003 and prior is not compatible.
Old 01-07-2005
Registered!!

gaugeof12 has a spectacular aura aboutgaugeof12 has a spectacular aura about
EDIT: SORRY YOU SAID FRONT SWAY NOT STRUT TOWER!

BTW standalj where are you gettin all you info about stuff not being compatible? (ie rear lights, strut bars)

Last edited by gaugeof12; 01-07-2005 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-07-2005
Registered!!

Dude...what are you talking about? I said...

...Neuspeed does NOT have a front sway bar for a 2004...

...Neuspeed does NOT have a rear upper strut tower bar for a 2004...

...Neuspeed does have a rear sway bar for a 2004 (and I have it)...

...Neuspeed does have a front upper strut tower bar for a 2004 (and I have it)...

...Neuspeed does have an x-brace for a 2004 (and I have it)...

Can I make it anymore clear? What I have said is the straight-up facts...from Neuspeed themselves. Regarding rear lights...again...the lights on a 2004 are different than a 2003...whether the difference be dimensions or over looks. Again, this is the straight-up facts coming from the manufactures of the various tails.
Old 01-07-2005
Yes, it's an Acura EL

TeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to all
Neuspeed doesn't have a rear upper strut tower bar for the 01-03 either, and the RSX one doesn't fit...at least not from my test fitting of a friend's. It sounds like you're going for all pieces by one manufacturer, correct me if I'm wrong. But you know, it's just a rear upper strut tie bar, no one will see it anyway. And frankly it doesn't do that much.
Old 01-07-2005
Registered!!

Telly: Yes, I would prefer to stay with one manufacturer as much as possible. I am using Neuspeed and Momo products as much as possible. I know that you can hardly see the rear strut tower bar...especially if you have a custom audio system in your trunk that hides it (I don't have this type of setup but may in the future). Correct me if I am wrong, but the rear strut tower bar prevents the top of your struts from flexing (in or out).
Old 01-07-2005
Yes, it's an Acura EL

TeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to all
Yes theoretically that's what the bar does. It's much more effective in front, but the rear does do something. Just not much - I had a rear upper but had to discard it when I put my coilovers in cause the strut bolts were too short to hold it and the nuts. Honestly I'm not missing it much, although I'm sure I'll pick up a Cusco or similarly overpriced one eventually....I believe Spoon has a DC5 one...

I'm a bit of a label ***** myself when it comes to my ride. But I don't necessarily stick to one anymore...too stressful, ha ha.
Old 01-07-2005
Registered!!

I bought some KW coilovers but fear I might not be able to use them...my tuner is working on the K20A2 swap...if we end up using all RSX suspension parts...the coilovers I have may not be compatible. Plus...the Neuspeed x-brace and rear sway bar might not be compatible. I am getting really nervous as my tuner tries and straightens this all out. If it turns out that my Civic parts are not compatible, then I am not going to use any RSX suspension parts that cause the conflict.

I went from being totally excited yesterday (about doing the swap) to freakin nervous cuz I don't know whatz up!
Old 01-07-2005
Search and Learn

civicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nice
Originally Posted by standalj
Not for 2004s...the one for 2003 and prior is not compatible.
How is not compatible?
Exhaust setup is exactly same, suspension is identical except front strut has 14mm knuckle bolts on 01-03, which has nothing to do with front sway bar.

KW suspension should work just fine with k series swap.

Last edited by civicvtec1ps; 01-07-2005 at 10:02 PM.
Old 01-07-2005
Registered!!

Regarding the Neuspeed front sway bar, I cannot tell you for sure why a 01-03 is not compatible with an 04. All I can tell you is that Neuspeed themselves say it wont work and Honda techs from local dealerships say the suspension is different as well. Also, the struts/stocks for 01-03s are supposed to be different than an 04 as well.
Old 01-07-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by civicvtec1ps
How is not compatible?
KW suspension should work just fine with k series swap.
Heard from another member up in here that the knuckles from an RSX may not be compatible with a KW coilover for a Civic.
Old 01-07-2005
Search and Learn

Heard from another member up in here that the knuckles from an RSX may not be compatible with a KW coilover for a Civic.
2mm differences, you can drill it out.
Far as front sway bar, it will work.
I have no idea what honda techs are talking about front sway bar differences.
Regardless of difference in front strut changes,01-02 used 50mm, 03+ uses 55mm and 16mm knuckle bolts.
That's the only difference and that shouldn't conflict with front sway bar assembly.
But yea that's far as I can tell you about changes between years.
I still think front sway bar will work without any glitch but who knows.
I never tried it and can't confirm.
Old 01-08-2005
Registered!!

Thanks for all the info!
Old 01-08-2005
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
. Correct me if I am wrong, but the rear strut tower bar prevents the top of your struts from flexing (in or out).
If the Rears were struts that would be true... However on the rear we have a double wishbone suspension, that dosen't use struts. Meaning, there isnt really all that much Lateral stress transfered to the upper mounts of the shocks on the rear, because the shocks arnt a primary load bearing part on the rear end... Thats why Neuspeed says they wont build one, because it wont do much to alter the handling or feeling of the car. Also Considering that the top of the rear shocks are mounted in to the floor pan of the trunk, that would mean there would be even Less lateral flex (as apposed to being mounted in a "Shock Tower").
Old 01-08-2005
Registered!!

Nice post. Regarding our cars having rear shocks vice struts, when you install coilovers don't you end up with struts in the rear?
Old 01-08-2005

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
xproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nice
all 01 civic suspension is all compatible with each other.. i do installs on them all the time and the only difference is the 50mm and 55mm like said earlier....you could pratically take a 01 setup and put it on the 04... thats how much same they are...as for the k20 swap... where is this info coming from?? a friend.. did he actually do the swap??..as long as you use axles from either a 02si or 94+ integra you will be fine.. if you use the rsx ones ur gonna need the rsx knuckles and hub but thats about it...you should ask the pros before saying otherwise... check hasport.com cause they made mounts and everything to do the swap.. they even have a DIY from there site you can download which tells you how to do everything step by step...give that to your mechanic
Old 01-08-2005
Registered!!

Most of the info I have been given is from my tuner...Group 5 Motorsport. They haven't done a K20A2 swap yet, but they have done enough other engine swaps to be considered experts. Plus, they just hired a guy who worked for AEBS and worked closely with reps from Hondata and HASport. I think this will be the guy who will do the swap.

What is 50mm and 55mm refering to? The diameter of the holes in which the bolts go through? If so, is 5mm a lot and can it be "bored out"? I would guess that the two biggest reasons for parts not being compatible would be the length of the part and the position of the bolt holes.
Old 01-08-2005

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
xproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nice
its more like hole size.. just take a dremel tool and bore it out... not hard.. as for the motor swap.... a k20 swap is way different than a B16.. in general there the same.. but for our cars there pretty much plug and play
Old 01-08-2005
Retired suspension supermod.

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
No, the 50mm and 55mm is the shock body size for the Koni's. If you are getting full coilovers then that isn't a problem.

The difference between the mount holes is 2mm which can be drilled out. 01-02 is 14mm and anything after that is 16mm. I think Si's converted to 16mm in 04 and RSXs have always been 16mm, but don't quote me on that.

Coilovers since they are adjustable can be used with any 01+ civic, any new Si, and any new RSX. The only things that will be different are the mount bolt holes and the tie rod end bolt.

Springs are a different story. Springs will sit funny on a civic if they are made for a Si or RSX because the weight differences. If you are worried about coilovers fitting, they will, but you might need to mod them a bit. IF you get springs and shocks, you need springs specific to the 7thgen and any type of shock (again you might need to mod it a little to fit).
Old 01-08-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by robbclark1
No, the 50mm and 55mm is the shock body size for the Koni's. If you are getting full coilovers then that isn't a problem.

The difference between the mount holes is 2mm which can be drilled out. 01-02 is 14mm and anything after that is 16mm. I think Si's converted to 16mm in 04 and RSXs have always been 16mm, but don't quote me on that.

Coilovers since they are adjustable can be used with any 01+ civic, any new Si, and any new RSX. The only things that will be different are the mount bolt holes and the tie rod end bolt.

Springs are a different story. Springs will sit funny on a civic if they are made for a Si or RSX because the weight differences. If you are worried about coilovers fitting, they will, but you might need to mod them a bit. IF you get springs and shocks, you need springs specific to the 7thgen and any type of shock (again you might need to mod it a little to fit).
I really appreciate all this information you all have shared with me. I am not a mechanic and have no desire to be one. Therefore, I pay qualified mechanic to do the work for me.

My vic currently has H&R sport springs and I am ridin on stock shocks. However, I ordered some KW Variant 2 coilovers. The order is on hold until a final determination has been made as to whether I need the coilovers for my vic or for an RSX (when the swap is being done).
Old 01-08-2005

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
I really appreciate all this information you all have shared with me. I am not a mechanic and have no desire to be one. Therefore, I pay qualified mechanic to do the work for me.

My vic currently has H&R sport springs and I am ridin on stock shocks. However, I ordered some KW Variant 2 coilovers. The order is on hold until a final determination has been made as to whether I need the coilovers for my vic or for an RSX (when the swap is being done).
I think the safer bet would be the ones for the RSX, but that is only if you are getting the tie rod ends, which I believe comes with the engine. Troll over at clubrsx.com and find out what their mount bolt sizes are. Worse case scenario is that the mount holes on the shock body need to be drilled out and/or the tie rod end/shock attachment needs to be drilled out.
Old 01-08-2005
Registered!!

Robb...great feedback and I would like to reward you for it. How?

Ultimately, I would like to end up with five lug hubs, but that would mean I would have to go out and buy five lug rims. I currently have some aftermarket four lug rims, which my wifey will get cuz she has an '05 vic, but I am not financially ready to get five lug rims. The K20A2 swap is gonna set me back for a while.
Old 01-08-2005

Talk to Hawk about the K20 swap and axles. He is a good guy and has done it. HE is also an autoxer.
Old 01-08-2005
Registered!!

I have talked to Hawk several times...and he is very informative. However, there were some questions he didn't have an answer for.
Old 01-09-2005
Registered!!

ty.barrack is an unknown quantity at this point
I got the Neuspeed front strutbar for my 04 cicic, I specified 04 when I ordered it, it fits like a charm, I think it's doing a good job. I ordered a three piece set from e-bay at the same time I ordered my cai, and with the cai installed the ebay front strut bar wouldn't fit, the lower rear one just looked gay, and didn't appear that it would make a difference, the rear one. I couldn't figure out how that was supposed to install with the back seat, and stuff in there, so I gave the three piece set to a friend that has an 03 four door civic.
Old 01-09-2005
Registered!!

I am really happy with my Neuspeed front upper strut tower bar. Can't wait to get the front lower sways!

By the way, what is a cai?
Old 01-09-2005

I am really happy with my Neuspeed front upper strut tower bar. Can't wait to get the front lower sways!

By the way, what is a cai?
Cold air intake. Because the throttle body is verticle instead of horizontal the CAI comes up. Therefore, only the DC sports and neuspeed front strut bars fit with cold air intakes.