Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Need help finding the right wheel/tire combo

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2020
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dicax84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Need help finding the right wheel/tire combo

I"m new to the Honda culture. I'm currently rebuilding my wife's 2004 LX and I'm losing sleep over the right rim/tire combination. I've been researching for days to no avail. The sizes that I like are 16x8 with a 205/40 tire. The problem is that 1. I can't get that size tire with the accurate load index (88) and 2. the tire selection is meager at best. The only reasonable option I have left is going with what's legal which is a 205/50 r16 tire on a16x8 inch rim (some manufactures offer 205s that can be fitted on 8inch rims). But a sidewall height of 50 is ridiculously bulgy. I don't like that look at all on normal streetcars. On track cars, sure. Another option would be a 17-inch rim size. But I'm not sure if that isn't too tall. With a 17-inch size rim, I could run 205/40 but I'm not sure if that would work. Now when it comes to offset I have no clue what works. I've read the sticky and the consensus is anywhere between 38mm and I believe 44mm should work, Well, most civics run 15-25mm with 16x8 which brings me back to problem numero uno which is that I don't want to run a super bulgy tire. I'm sure I'm just missing something here. After all, I'm a Honda noob. I come from a Euro background. I have no idea what fits and what requires custom work. Maybe you guys could post some pictures of your setups and elucidate on what you had to do and/or throw out suggestions based on what you know works with or without custom work,.

For reference, this is the look I'm seeking to achieve:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/117515871512989265/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/587508713877749793/

These are the rims I'm thinking about getting:

He runs 16x8 in the front. I couldn't find out the offset and tire size but I'm guessing it's a 205/40 and offset could be anywhere in between +15mm - +25mm ( not 38mm - 44mm). And this is where I get confused.

If you guys could help me out I'd very much appreciate it. Thank you in advance!

Old 09-22-2020
Click Here

Received 1,157 Likes on 904 Posts
FRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Need help finding the right wheel/tire combo

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

I use this for reference if that's what you're confused about. I was running 205/45/17 on my EM2 (stock suspension, no modification whatsoever), and those were within the range of what "worked" for the car. There's a proper term for it but it's escaping me. If you wanna use 205's on 16's, you'll probably need to up the aspect ratio to 50. I can't remember what the offset was; I'll see if I can find the wheels I had online somewhere. I remember it being somewhere in the neighbourhood of +44.

The cars you shared have been lowered, for sure. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that blue civic is either running spacers or a staggered setup, as well (I'm not sure how the camber plates will affect it, so that may be all that was installed). Probably the same with the black one.

Edit: I completely forgot I posted these before I got rid of my civic.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/9...r125-sale.html

This was the setup on my integra. Same tires (205/45R17), and both sets of rims were 17x8. Never did any suspension work to either car. Very similar cars dimensionally so it'll still give you a decent idea of what they'd look like.

Last edited by FRSam; 09-22-2020 at 09:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
dicax84 (09-22-2020)
Old 09-22-2020
Registered!!

I should mention that I already have the coilovers (godspeed mono ss) lying in my garage. So I have room to work with. I'm not afraid to do bodywork or find solutions to make my desired combo work. But I cannot find verifiable le information on where to start. If I order expensive rims and they don't fit at all not even with mods I'm going to hate myself. I'd like to avoid that.

Regarding offset, most run +20 or +25 on fitment industries. No spacers. Only mods rolling and/or pulling of fenders. I could go with 205/40 r16 on an 8-inch rim, but then the weight index wouldn't be right. So I'm stuck. Somehow all the stancers make it work. They seem to mismatch all sorts of tire/rim combinations. I don't want to do that so there's gotta be a compromise.
Old 09-23-2020
Click Here

Received 1,157 Likes on 904 Posts
FRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of light

That makes more sense. I got the offset number backwards in my head, I'm all good now. I trust you understand the consequences of going with a wheel with a more than 3% diameter variance (yours is over 8% with the setup you want), so I won't talk about it.

I'm definitely not the guy to talk to if you wanna stance your car.

I know they run staggered setups; usually something like a 16x8 front/16x9 rear.
Old 09-23-2020
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Chezboat24
That makes more sense. I got the offset number backwards in my head, I'm all good now. I trust you understand the consequences of going with a wheel with a more than 3% diameter variance (yours is over 8% with the setup you want), so I won't talk about it.

I'm definitely not the guy to talk to if you wanna stance your car.

I know they run staggered setups; usually something like a 16x8 front/16x9 rear.

​​​​I can get my speedo calibrated. The load index is the problem. I have to run 205/50 R16. That's a lot of rubber. Looks like there's no way to get a nice set of 16x8 wheels without ignoring basically everything. I don't think that 17 inch looks good. I wood have to see pictures. But if they work I could get 205 45 R17. Less rubber and more rim. What do you run?
Old 09-23-2020
Super Moderator

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,322 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

215/45R17 is a popular size for these Civics, that is what I have on mine.

The following users liked this post:
dicax84 (09-23-2020)
Old 09-23-2020
Registered!!

That looks very nice actually. Very racey. The 17s are not too big for what the car can handle? Does it rub? What's the et on yours?
Old 09-23-2020
Registered!!

So if go with 205/45 R17 on 17x8 what ET would I have to choose? I'm aware that 205s are only rated for 7.5 inch rims but a lot of people run that combo without any problem.
Old 09-23-2020
Super Moderator

BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dicax84
Does it rub? What's the et on yours?
Yes, sometimes. I'm also lowered though. I believe it only rubs on the rears, a little more negative camber and I don't think it would at all. I can't remember exactly was the ET is but I think it's 38 mm, not home right now so I can't check.
Old 09-23-2020
Registered!!

Originally Posted by BrotatoChip
Yes, sometimes. I'm also lowered though. I believe it only rubs on the rears, a little more negative camber and I don't think it would at all. I can't remember exactly was the ET is but I think it's 38 mm, not home right now so I can't check.
Are those 8 or 7.5? I checked tire rack and they only show me rims with an et of 42. None of the rims I like are available in what ET.
Old 09-24-2020
Super Moderator

Those are Sport Edition brand, got them off TireRack about four years ago. They are 40 mm ET, from what I'm seeing on the site now I believe they are 7 inch wheels.
Old 09-24-2020
Registered!!

Those are Sport Edition brand, got them off TireRack about four years ago. They are 40 mm ET, from what I'm seeing on the site now I believe they are 7 inch wheels.
See that confuses me. I checked fitment industry and the few civic lx I found run et's all over the place from 40 down to 15 with rim widths from 7-9. According to the calculator I found online a 8 inch et35 wheel will poke out 38mm. That's a lot. Yours don't poke out that much but you're already rubbing in the back.
Old 09-24-2020
Super Moderator

Keep in mind I'm also lowered, far from slammed but there isn't much of a gap between the tire and fender. Offset is also measured from the middle of the wheel. Stock wheel is 6" (150 mm) I believe with ~48 mm offset. That would mean there's about 30 mm of wheel/tire sticking out away from the hub. With a 7" wheel and 40 mm offset that puts about 50 mm of wheel/tire sticking out. That 20 mm increase as well as being lowered with little to no negative camber causes a little bit of rubbing on big bumps.

Here's another thread with some info and pics that might help out some.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/4...l-fitment.html
Old 09-24-2020
Registered!!

Keep in mind I'm also lowered, far from slammed but there isn't much of a gap between the tire and fender. Offset is also measured from the middle of the wheel. Stock wheel is 6" (150 mm) I believe with ~48 mm offset. That would mean there's about 30 mm of wheel/tire sticking out away from the hub. With a 7" wheel and 40 mm offset that puts about 50 mm of wheel/tire sticking out. That 20 mm increase as well as being lowered with little to no negative camber causes a little bit of rubbing on big bumps.

Here's another thread with some info and pics that might help out some.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/4...l-fitment.html

I get different numbers. Going from 6j ET45 to 7j ET 40 results in a 15.7mm increase. Meaning it pokes our 15.7mm.

I double checked. All Sedans I can find run ET20 on 8j. Fenders rolled, no rubbing or scrubbing. So I don't know. I could go with it 35 but then the wheel will be closer to the suspension by about 15.4mm and poke out about 35.4mm. with 8j et20 the rim will only be closer to the suspension by about .4mm but stick out about 50.4mm.

So yeah I have no idea. I guess I will have to pull the trigger on something and if it doesn't fit tough luck I guess.

Old 09-24-2020
Registered!!

Et20 no rubbing or scrubbing

https://www.fitmentindustries.com/wh...land-coilovers

Old 09-24-2020
Registered!!

ET30:

https://www.fitmentindustries.com/wh...tein-coilovers

Old 09-24-2020
Super Moderator

Looks like you found a couple good options. My fenders aren't rolled, if they were I probably wouldn't have any rubbing.
Old 10-02-2020
Registered!!

I'm still looking. No one can tell me what size I need. That's incredibly frustrating.