Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

clean chrome

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jasonlab is an unknown quantity at this point
clean chrome

so i just tried to clean my chrome wheels and they dont look chromed anymore. i just did one but it looks polished now, no chrome. did i take the chrome away or i need to clean it an other way?
Old 04-23-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
What did you use?
Old 04-23-2006
-jdmWANNABE-

NOgoEM2 is an unknown quantity at this point
what did you use on the wheel?
Old 04-23-2006
Registered!!

Pure Citrus, cleans everything inside & outside your home. i use heavy duty scour pads to wipe it off. i think that might have been the problem. but there was staines on my wheels because i left them in my garage for the winter. trying to get the staines to come off, i think i got the chrome off.
Old 04-23-2006
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
wow so from the looks of it, you used some sort of degreaser and rubbed it in with sandpaper basically. always treat your wheels like the paint of the car. Sorry to say but i think they're ruined. Anyone know a fix?
Old 04-23-2006
Registered!!

Civic04 is an unknown quantity at this point
LOL well a fix would be to take it to a wheel shop most of then know where to get them rechromed. All depends on the place most turn out ok you did most of the prep work for them
Old 04-23-2006
Registered!!

gipperkid is an unknown quantity at this point
Use some 3M Fine Cut or 3M Machine Finish rubbing compound and a buffer, or a rotary tool with polishing pad. It may take out the fine scratches. It's worth a shot.
Old 04-23-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion

Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by jasonlab
Pure Citrus, cleans everything inside & outside your home. i use heavy duty scour pads to wipe it off. i think that might have been the problem. but there was staines on my wheels because i left them in my garage for the winter. trying to get the staines to come off, i think i got the chrome off.
Congratulations You scotchbrited a mirror surface.
Now that you know what abrasives do, you're going to have to find a way to get all those scratches out, which is why they look dull. If you're lucking and you didn't scrub hard, you MIGHT be able to re-mirror them with polishing compound, some chrome polish and a lot of work, but the chrome for all intents and purposes is ****ed. All those scratches are going to make the sub-layers show, which is going to make it look aweful once it gets wet and corrodes. I hope they were crappy rims, cuz you might as well get new ones now.

Future lesson... use chrome wheel cleaner and a microfiber cloth.
Old 04-23-2006

ncirom2003 will become famous soon enough
dont listen to them, you did it right. shiny chrome is actually chrome gone bad, you cleaned the bad off your rims. good job.
Old 04-23-2006
Registered!!

hondoer27 will become famous soon enoughhondoer27 will become famous soon enough
Post some pics
Old 04-23-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion

Originally Posted by ncirom2003
dont listen to them, you did it right. shiny chrome is actually chrome gone bad, you cleaned the bad off your rims. good job.
Ummm no, you don't rub acidic stuff into any wheel finish with an abrasive cloth.
If you're going to go the rubbing route, you definetly don't want to use scotchbrite, they make polishing compounds for that.

For **** on chrome, believe it or not coca-cola works, but he didn't do it right. You don't satin finish chrome rims.

Last edited by Boilermaker1; 04-23-2006 at 10:01 PM.
Old 04-23-2006
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
i think he's joking.
Old 04-23-2006

ncirom2003 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by gearbox
i think he's joking.
shhhh let him keep going hahahahahaha

dude boiler, why would you take a post seriously when i say "shiny chrome is chrome gone bad, you cleaned the bad off your rims"
Old 04-24-2006
Registered!!

i think im pretty much ****ed. they are not great rims and i only did one, so its not that bad. also i found out that they are polished rims even though i got told they were chromed when i got the car. im thinking about buying a new rim or doing them all like that. it kinda looks like brushed aluminum. i might also be able to repolish it. i will clean it and post some pics 2morow.

I know, im an idiot. but at least i learned with american racing 15"
Old 04-24-2006
Registered!!

cleancivic 05 should not be trustedcleancivic 05 should not be trustedcleancivic 05 should not be trustedcleancivic 05 should not be trustedcleancivic 05 should not be trustedcleancivic 05 should not be trustedcleancivic 05 should not be trustedcleancivic 05 should not be trustedcleancivic 05 should not be trustedcleancivic 05 should not be trustedcleancivic 05 should not be trusted
ok wow what were u thinking
Old 04-24-2006
Registered!!

boxcarracer is a jewel in the roughboxcarracer is a jewel in the roughboxcarracer is a jewel in the rough
why didnt soap and water sound like a option or rim cleaner? or brake dust cleaner.....
Old 04-24-2006
Registered!!

actually, its a lame excuse. but my friend told my to use those. i went to the store with him, picked up a spunge and he told me i need the harder one to get the stained off for good.... yeah, got the whole wheel off. oh well, ill see what i can do tomorrow.
Old 04-24-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion

Originally Posted by ncirom2003
shhhh let him keep going hahahahahaha

dude boiler, why would you take a post seriously when i say "shiny chrome is chrome gone bad, you cleaned the bad off your rims"
Because there are some metallic compounds where the corrosion shows up as a sheen over the surface.

Its also pretty ignorant to take a fairly legit question, as stupid as it may be, and then throw the kid for a loop.
Keep the bullshit to the "whats the best supercharger" threads.

Last edited by Boilermaker1; 04-24-2006 at 08:07 AM.