General Post General Issues questions here that does not fit other sections

key wont turn in ignition, steering wheel not locked.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
colbyd17 is an unknown quantity at this point
key wont turn in ignition, steering wheel not locked.

Okay so here is the break down for the issue i'm having.

I went to grab some food and came back out to my car and the key wouldn't go into or turn in the ignition, i played around with it for over 3 hours and couldn't get it to go
so i eventually got a tow home. When home i removed the ignition housing cylinder and took it to a locksmith where he repaired the cylinder and put it back into the housing.
The issue here was the key turned in cylinder when it was removed from the housing but when reinstalled it would not turn, almost like it was locked or something.
The locksmith played around with it for a bit but couldn't get it to turn in the housing so i went to a wrecker and pulled an ignition out of another Civic and made sure it turned perfectly fine (it did). I took it back to the locksmith and he installed my lock cylinder in the new housing but once again the key would not turn, like it was locked. I told him to just put the cylinder that came out of the one i got from the wrecker and i would just use that, BUT now that key wouldn't turn in the new housing even thought it worked before we removed the cylinder. I ended up having him out my original cylinder in the housing from the wrecker anyways (since i knew it did work) and id took it up and see if there was something electrical keeping it from working but the key still wont turn in the ignition. The steering wheel is not locked and the car also beeps when i open the door but there is no key in the ignition and it wont stop.

I have been searching everywhere online for 3 days and i cant find a single person that has had this issue. I'm completely lost here
any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-24-2019
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: key wont turn in ignition, steering wheel not locked.

Is it an auto? Might not be in neutral.
Old 09-25-2021
Sendit

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Senditdude is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: key wont turn in ignition, steering wheel not locked.

Im super interested to know what ended up happening with this, that is of you still frequent the forum..

Im experiencing something SORTA similar.

To me it sounds like something passed your ignition cylinder was binded up.