General Post General Issues questions here that does not fit other sections

2009 Civic Si questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
swmyers57 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question 2009 Civic Si questions

New to Honda and this forum. Just purchased a 2009 Si, 6 speed, 105,000 miles. Wondering if someone could tell me if the following things are issues I should have checked out.

First, my VSA light comes on occasionally but resets after restarting the car.

Second, when I run down to one or two bars of fuel the CEL comes on and the car runs rough until I refuel. Running 93-97 octane. Sets a P0302 code but runs fine after I refuel. CEL also goes off after refuel.

Third, when I wind it out a little between shifts RPM's don't drop when I push in the clutch to shift. My son tells me this is normal for this car?

Thanks for any input.
Old 03-04-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2009 Civic Si questions

Originally Posted by swmyers57

First, my VSA light comes on occasionally but resets after restarting the car.
Need more info before deciding what to do about this. Got the code?

Second, when I run down to one or two bars of fuel the CEL comes on and the car runs rough until I refuel. Running 93-97 octane. Sets a P0302 code but runs fine after I refuel. CEL also goes off after refuel.
Seems easy enough to avoid, just refuel earlier than 2 bars.

I'd be wondering about what's in the bottom of the tank and what the filter "sock" on the bottom of the pump or cup looks like. Sounds like the pump might be sucking air due to clogged sock.

Third, when I wind it out a little between shifts RPM's don't drop when I push in the clutch to shift. My son tells me this is normal for this car?
I understand that's normal to hang the RPM high briefly even though you took your foot off the gas pedal.
Old 03-04-2015
Registered!!

Smile Re: 2009 Civic Si questions

Thanks for getting back to me ezone. I forgot to mention the VSA system is not throwing a code. The owners manual states that if the light comes on while driving there is a problem and should be checked out but I've had other Honda owners tell me they experience the same thing. Just trying to decide whether I should have it looked at.

As far as the fuel thing I was thinking along the same lines as you. I don't have experience with imports at all since I'm an old American muscle car guy. Guess I'll need to get a service manual and do some reading. I am having that problem looked at on Friday.
Thanks again.
Old 03-04-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

mention the VSA system is not throwing a code.
What are you using to check codes?

Just trying to decide whether I should have it looked at.
Honda HDS scanner can probably garner more info than any other scanner, and can do the neutral position learn procedures if necessary.

Gotta have someone who knows what they are doing though, the scanner can't solve problems itself LOL
Old 03-05-2015
Registered!!

Thanks for that bit of info. I just used a general over the counter OBDII code reader. May have to pick up the HDS unit.
Old 03-05-2015

Thanks for that bit of info. I just used a general over the counter OBDII code reader.
OBD2 is only for powertrain (engine and trans). There's a whole bunch more on the cars that those code readers can't touch.
Old 05-17-2019
Gutjosgt3

GutjosGT3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Can anyone tells me if there is a fix for the VSI light issue, is very annoying and the cars seems to stall around 4,00 rpm and there isn’t any codes, but only stalls when the light is on only. Please some tells me what is the fix because I’m about to dump this car and never get an SI