Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Strange behavior issue with a civic!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pro_rock is an unknown quantity at this point
Strange behavior issue with a civic!

Greetings,

I have an 01 Honda EX, and the issue I'm having seems to have mechanics stumped.

First off, I am the furthest thing from a mechanic you will find! I'm pretty desperate as this has become a battle.

The problem starts after I fire it and rev up the RPM' s. The car begins to roughly idle and act like it's going to kill. This has left me temporarily stranded on the side of the road, until it "catches", which takes 5 - 10 min or so.

It seems to only do this most frequently AFTER it has sat overnight, driven for a few miles, and when the engine is shut off (and after it sits for a few minutes the idle problem starts.)

This will trigger the check engine light to toggle off or on. (And remains on or off for some time).

I have been told it is not an 02 sensor, and after reading on the forum, seems highly unlikely it's a fuel filter problem either.

Of course, I've had this on and off for some time now. And when I leave it with a mechanic, or have someone look at it, it magically disappears.

Common sense seems like it is a fuel distribution issue, and I plan on trying fuel injector cleaner.

This has been an on and off again problem for 4 years, worse now and it is my only transportation I have. I have to travel across state a lot, and can't get stranded.

I did have a relative with an error code reader check it with no luck.

Highly appreciate any advice and feedback.

Thank you!
Old 03-15-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Strange behavior issue with a civic!

This will trigger the check engine light to toggle off or on. (And remains on or off for some time).

I did have a relative with an error code reader check it with no luck.
Borrow said code reader, keep it plugged into the car and whenever the light comes on read the fault codes right then.
Old 03-16-2016
Registered!!

Pro_rock is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
Borrow said code reader, keep it plugged into the car and whenever the light comes on read the fault codes right then.
Great idea, however I don't have access to a reader right now. Any other recommendations?
Thank you
Old 03-16-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

When the light comes on, get codes read ASAP and don't shut off the engine until codes are checked?

Buy a code reader of your own?
Old 03-27-2017
Registered!!

oldbeater is an unknown quantity at this point

check the ground wires, one is probably loose.