Introduce Yourself! New member to the site? Stop in here and introduce yourself and make some friends. Strangers = danger!!

Aloha from Hawaii

Old 11-02-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HI34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Aloha from Hawaii

Howzit going everyone my name is Wesley, literally just joined to hopefully gain some info on my ride(mostly girlfriends ride). Anywho, born&raised on the island of O'ahu, have had lots of friends in the scene/lifestyle although been around it a lot never really got into too much depth was just was trying to learn basic knowledge on Automobiles at the time. Now I live on the Big Island of Hawaii for about a year now and we bought 2005 :Honda: Civic coupe (7th Gen?). Ran beautifully (and still is i would say) but Steady Check Engine Light has been on for couple months. Finally got around to taking to a local shop. Problem was supposedly a "gas cap" malfunction. Guys orders new one (supposedly, not positive lol) :trust issues:. CEL stays off about a week, and now it is back on.. Take it back same thing, said it was gas cap again and light went off now back on again steady. Car does not seem to have any weird noises or perform different at all. Im skeptical to take it back for a third time to get told same thing while putting another $80 in there pocket. Either im a bad person for thinking that or I am right. lol
Wanted to know if these new models are as easy, or possible to read codes without computer like my friends eg hatch where you could use a copper wire to somewhat loop a connector by front passenger feet and read the codes myself doing that method.
As I remember it blinks slow for the first number of code. Then fast for second number, and so on to the next code.
Sorry hope this makes sense and thank you before hand for any advice..

Mahalo

Also MAINT REQ'D Light went on couple days ago. Any Links to list of problems that could be would nice.
Old 11-02-2015
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Aloha from Hawaii

Welcome! Go get that code read (yeah, you kinda need at least an OBD2 reader to read/reset the code), let us know the actual code it's throwing (it'll likely be in a P0xxx form). That way, we can guide you to repairing it without throwing unnecessary parts at it.

As for you maintenance light, it's set to come on at certain mileage markers. It's really easy to reset. Key in the ignition, push and hold the trip odometer reset button, turn the ignition to "on," wait 20 seconds, release the button. I haven't done it in a while, but I think it blinks a few times before it goes off. I just make sure it goes off before I release the button. If it doesn't work, try again.

If you have an owner's manual, the actual procedure is in there.. somewhere.
Old 11-02-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum

Need to know the code number for the check engine light. OBD2 code reader.

Not all EVAP problems are caused by a gas cap. Some of them cannot possibly be caused by a gas cap.

Your mechanic may be unwilling to test or may not know how.
Old 11-02-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HI34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx

Welcome! Go get that code read (yeah, you kinda need at least an OBD2 reader to read/reset the code), let us know the actual code it's throwing (it'll likely be in a P0xxx form). That way, we can guide you to repairing it without throwing unnecessary parts at it.

As for you maintenance light, it's set to come on at certain mileage markers. It's really easy to reset. Key in the ignition, push and hold the trip odometer reset button, turn the ignition to "on," wait 20 seconds, release the button. I haven't done it in a while, but I think it blinks a few times before it goes off. I just make sure it goes off before I release the button. If it doesn't work, try again.

If you have an owner's manual, the actual procedure is in there.. somewhere.
Thanks for the reply, beautiful advice for that Maintenance Light! Big eye sore is gone now thanks to you Also looks like you got some great friends too lol

Originally Posted by ezone
Welcome to the forum

Need to know the code number for the check engine light. OBD2 code reader.

Not all EVAP problems are caused by a gas cap. Some of them cannot possibly be caused by a gas cap.

Your mechanic may be unwilling to test or may not know how.
Much Mahaloz for the feedback as well, extremely appreciated. Ordered a reader online and will be coming in soon will let all know what problem is later this/or next week!