Air Conditioning Post issues with air conditioning here

A/C blows warm 2002 Honda Civic LX

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hondaciv02 is an unknown quantity at this point
A/C blows warm 2002 Honda Civic LX

I don’t have a lot of knowledge of cars but I have a limited working knowledge of basic functions.
the A/C blows warm on full blast , the Freon is full from what I can tell using one of the “on the can” type gauges . The compressor engages and disengages but is a bit noisey
i did a self diagnostic test I read about online and got DTC code 9 I checked the A/C modes it switches from top to top and bottom and defroster fine but I noticed the air temp doesn’t change with moving dial

thank you for any help in advance I’ll try my best to give you the info you need
Old 04-25-2019
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A/C blows warm 2002 Honda Civic LX

You say you got a code 9 from the hvac self test, that's very important info here (good job on doing some troubleshooting first btw).
Definition for that code is 'a problem in the air mix control linkage, door, or motor' (air mix is the name for the temperature control part of the hvac system)
You need to start there and diagnose for that code....

Could be a servo problem (a failing servo is more than likely the problem) or maybe one of the temp doors inside the box is stuck and the servo can't move to desired position?
Temperature control motor (I keep calling it a servo) is on the drivers side of the heater box, up above the gas pedal area.....The servo arm connects to some linkage for doors in the box

EDIT: a very recent poster here got a similar part online (may have been rock auto?) and it did not work at all, but a new part from a Honda dealership worked immediately
Old 04-25-2019
Registered!!

Thank you for the Advice I was able to get to it without removing dash the motor isn’t working well so I need to replace that but a new discovery was my neighbor has a machine to vacuumi the Freon and found metal in the line he said it was the compressor and that I would need to replace the compressor and dryer and the condenser is that true? Not that I don’t believe him just strapped on cash and want another opinion before dropping any more money into it
Old 04-26-2019
Super Moderator

Received 1,848 Likes on 1,300 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Metal shavings in the A/C lines does indicate compressor failure.
Old 04-26-2019

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hondaciv02
Thank you for the Advice I was able to get to it without removing dash the motor isn’t working well so I need to replace that but a new discovery was my neighbor has a machine to vacuumi the Freon and found metal in the line he said it was the compressor and that I would need to replace the compressor and dryer and the condenser is that true? Not that I don’t believe him just strapped on cash and want another opinion before dropping any more money into it
WHY????? If you only have a mix motor problem why TF did your neighbor touch it?
This should have been a simple case of fix the mix motor then see how good the AC cools....and go from there

Nobody is gonna be able to SEE metal inside the system unless they removed all the freon and physically disassembled connections to look inside. Did that happen?

How much MONEY does your neighbor think he's gonna be getting out of you?
If he actually removed the freon and opened up your system, you're already kinda screwed and at his mercy......unless....it really has metal in the system from an internal compressor problem.....in which case the neighbor would be correct.

But internal compressor failures aren't all that common with original equipment IMO. Clutch or pulley bearing failures are kinda common though, but those are external and Honda sells those parts separate from the compressor.
Old 04-26-2019
Registered!!

Sorry I should have said what he did he manually moved the motor and it was still blowing warm so he checked the Freon then vacuumed it to check to see if there was leaks before he hooked it up he took a rag and pressed the low pressure side and showed me specks on it which he said was metal shavings so the system wasn’t taken apart and he wasn’t going to charge me any money I meant I would have to buy those parts and sorry like I said before I’m not super knowledgeable on cars so I’m trying the best I can
Old 04-27-2019

took a rag and pressed the low pressure side and showed me specks on it which he said was metal shavings
That's not sufficient evidence to me.
My next step would have to be taking the discharge hose off of the compressor and swabbing inside the fittings for more evidence of metal or dark gray coloring, and evaluate based on what I find there..
Does anyone want to go that far on yours yet? (make sure to install brand new O ring seals on any fittings taken apart)

The compressor engaged before but you said it was a little noisy...... I can't hear yours from here and I know some make more noise than others.....
But the important question now is "does it still work?" Once the servo issue is fixed, recharge the freon and see if it cools normally again?
Old 04-27-2019
Registered!!

I’ll replace the servo and recharge and I’ll update on how it goes