Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Need ideas / help on problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MattInShawnee is an unknown quantity at this point
Need ideas / help on problem

Ok, so recently while commuting home on the interstate while accelerating to pass another driver my AC went from blowing cold to hot. It remained hot and after about 15 minutes there was a brief period of intermittent cool patches and then it remained to run blowing hot air.

I took it into a service station and they did the standard AC work, tested the low and high pressure (which was fine) and topped off the Freon. The compressor kicks on when you turn on the AC, they tested the power to the compressor and said it was fine, they then proceeded to tell me the compressor is faulty and gave me an estimate of $1,900.00 to repair.

I brought it home and after some research I conducted the self test by pressing both the recirculation and rear defrost button at the same time while putting the key in the power position and I did not get an error code once the test was completed. My father lives about 3 hours from me and has a friend who can work on it for me (has access to a shop with a dryer etc) but I need to diagnose the problem and bring any parts I will need. I thought it might be the blend door but correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't the High or Low line be cool to the touch if that was the case? Both the High and Low lines are warm.. I also read that there is some type of controller that sends power to the compressor from the motor and it will activate as necessary, especially when accelerating and the drive train needs the additional power? Considering the AC stopped abrutply while I was accelerating to pass another car, this could likely be the issue? I have access to or can invest in any easy to acquire or failry inexpensive diagnostic equipment, I need advice on what to test and how to determine what has failed.

Any and all help/ideas is appreciated.

Thanks,
-Matt