Air Conditioning Post issues with air conditioning here

2001 EX compressor won’t kick on.

Old 04-15-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sellacell is an unknown quantity at this point
2001 EX compressor won’t kick on.

So I payed $1000 for this 2001 EX sedan, and I’m just trying to chase down all the gremlins. The ac compressor doesn’t turn on at all. I ran a hot wire to the plug that comes from the compressor, and when I touch it to the positive battery terminal it clicks once, but doesn’t come on. Does it sound like I need to replace the whole compressor? Or could it be something simpler?
Old 04-15-2019
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2001 EX compressor won’t kick on.

You try to turn on the AC but the compressor doesn't engage....... NEED to see if both radiator fans come on when you try to turn on the AC

You sent power to the compressor....while that's connected you need to push the AC clutch outer plate toward the pulley and see if it will stick

If that makes it stick---How wide is the air gap on the compressor clutch
Does it look like half of a millimeter ? Does it look like 2 millimeters or more?

If that did NOT make it stick, use ohm meter to figure out if the thermal protector is open or if the clutch coil is open
Old 04-16-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sellacell is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you so much for the quick reply! Ok, so I’m just learning how to work on cars and have never messed with ac before. Which part of it is the clutch? I need to take off wheel and shroud to access it right?
Old 04-17-2019
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Watch this video as it helped me get my A/C working again for cheap. You can skip to halfway to get to the part of removing a shim from the compressor clutch shaft to close the gap between the clutch magnet plate and the compressor.
Old 04-17-2019
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NDNV
Watch this video as it helped me get my A/C working again for cheap. You can skip to halfway to get to the part of removing a shim from the compressor clutch shaft to close the gap between the clutch magnet plate and the compressor.
IF the problem is too much air gap. OP needs to be aware there are a lot of other possible reasons an AC system might stop working besides that.
Old 04-18-2019
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Right you are ezone. The poster should heed your wisdom for sure. Just adding my meager 2¢ worth.