Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

97 Civic EX Coupe Proper AC Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hotrod_714 can only hope to improve
97 Civic EX Coupe Proper AC Compressor

Ok so i'm going to buy a new AC compressor for my 1997 Civic EX Coupe. The issue i'm having is which is the proper one that I should be purchasing. On Autozones website there are two Denso compressors that both say they fit on my car. The Denso 471-1420 and the 471-7050. I can't find any info anywhere about this. The 7050 actually resembles the one that is on the car already, and is slightly cheaper than the 1420 so I don't know which one to go with. Also when searching on Hondapartsunlimited.com which is an OEM site, the info for the AC compressor is 38810-P2F-A01. I can also find this one on EBAY when searching but it doesn't have a brand listed so I'm not entirely sure which of the 3 models to get. It's been about 5 years since i've had working AC in my car so I was just going to replace the entire compressor and the condenser. last time I had the AC up and running it sort of worked but my MPG's went down almost by 10 and the clutch was making noise and appeared to be catching. I'm wondering if all I need to do is rebuild the clutch but would the compressor possibly be worn out as well due to the age of it and how it's been non working for several years if I should just replace the whole unit and save myself any hassle of having to get in there twice.
Old 05-17-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 97 Civic EX Coupe Proper AC Compressor

My catalog shows it to be SANDEN brand compressor from the factory.

You can buy just the clutch/pulley and you can buy the coil separate from the compressor through Honda.

You can buy reman compressor (complete with clutch and pulley) too, through Honda.

Find one of the many sites that sell through mail order at wholesale prices.