Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

AC compressor clutch r&r questions/concerns

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
amatias is an unknown quantity at this point
AC compressor clutch r&r questions/concerns

Hi everyone, as title says I need to remove and replace my ac compressor clutch because it popped out. After some extensive searching on here I found out it happened to a number of members here, but was wondering if someone did the repair themselves? I would appreciate some DIY tactics on tackling this job, I'm pretty sure that I need a ac clutch holder tool. Should I replace the field coil too when the clutch is off? Should there be other concerns that caused the clutch to pop off? Would it be better to r&r the whole compressor and drier set, but needing to evacuate the system.

Haven't been around here in a while, but have been an avid learner from researching here. Sucks that I finally have a problem with my car, but guess its bound to happen in part of the 143K miles and counting. This problem is the beginning of the headaches to come.

Hey Gearbox would you happen to know anyone that had this problem, some or any input from the 7th geners would be greatly appreciated. Hurts even more that it hits in the peak of summer but s#!+ happens. lol
Old 08-28-2010
Registered!!

civicstreetrcr is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: AC compressor clutch r&r questions/concerns

I am also having problems with My Air conditioning system. My AC light turns on but the compressor doesnt kick in. I manually connect the compressor to the battery and the clutch grips and the ac starts. My Condernser Fan (20 AMP ) was burned.
Old 08-28-2010
Registered!!

^Did the fan burn or just the fuse, if the fan burned, how much was the part and where did you buy? Seems the cheapest I can find the a/c clutch is $145 at hondapartsunlimited.com, anyone bought from here before ?
Old 08-28-2010
Registered!!

civicstreetrcr is an unknown quantity at this point

My fan fuse was burned. But my ac compressor doesnt turn unless I feed it a 12 volt wire from the battery but I noticed the car hesitates when the compressor clutch spins
Old 07-28-2011
Registered!!

troutbum24 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by amatias
Hi everyone, as title says I need to remove and replace my ac compressor clutch because it popped out. After some extensive searching on here I found out it happened to a number of members here, but was wondering if someone did the repair themselves?
I know this thread is getting old but I was wonderin if anyone has repaired the A/C compressor clutch as well, as my wife just had her clutch fly off going 60 down the HWY. I sure as heck dont want to blow $1000+ for a shop to put in a new compressor. I am a novice mechanic, I can normally fix things just takes me a bit longer than most people, most recent job was changing all the belts on my 95 tacoma. Any help would be appreciated as I have been researching this topic for the better part of a week.
Blaine
Old 07-30-2011
Registered!!

Hey troutbum24, Fixed it with some help. All you need it a universal puller the kind from Sears is sufficient to pull off the old pulley. Bought a new pulley online for like $30 cheaper then directly from the dealer. Take the wheel off and remove some bolts from the washer reservoir to access the pulley. Got a 2x4 and pounded on the new pulley gently. Then added the included shims to get the right spacing between pulley and clutch. Its explained in the instructions that come with the new pulley/clutch assembly. Any other questions/comments please feel free. My A/C actually is colder than before the clutch flew off.
Old 07-31-2011
Registered!!

What model was your car, mine is a 2001 lx. I originally thought it was a 2000 ( it's my wife's car) where did you end up ordering your clutch from, I went to my local auto zone and they said they could only get a complete compressor not just a clutch.
Old 08-01-2011
Registered!!

wetpinkpants is on a distinguished road

You can just get the coil if your pressure plate is in good shape. I got my off Ebay brand new
Old 08-02-2011
Registered!!

Bought it from www.hondapartsunlimited.com, arrived within a few days via fedex. I have a 2001 ex coupe and that way no need to evacuate and refill the system if you bought the whole compressor.
Old 08-02-2011
Registered!!

bobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of light

My clutch just flew off too. Luckily it landed up against the fender and I still have it. But looking at it, it appears that there should be inner teeth but they are stripped:

Name:  SN850309.jpg
Views: 3682
Size:  65.0 KB

And it looks like the teeth on the compressor post are worn down a bit too:

Name:  SN850311.jpg
Views: 4391
Size:  66.3 KB

Are there inner teeth on the clutch? Should a new clutch still work on the worn compressor post, or is a replacement compressor in my near future? I was excited when I found the clutch, but it may not be the blessing I was hoping for.

Now another thought: it appears the bolt loosened and the clutch was able to freewheel on the post, stripping off the inner teeth (if there are inner teeth). If I just replace the bolt and torque on the post, then is a new clutch necessary? I can add "check torque of AC clutch bolt" to my list of routine maintenance a lot cheaper than buying a new clutch or compressor.
Old 08-03-2011
Registered!!

^As long a nut can thread on the shaft you can try to replace the clutch on the pulley assembly. I was told to check that it was still intact beforehand. But you also need to install shims to get the proper spacing, just a reminder. I think I still have the instructions somewhere with the shim sizes.
Old 08-03-2011
Registered!!

bobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of light

My concern is that I may not be able to torque the nut on tight because how can I hold the post still? So the teeth of the clutch seem to be required to mesh with the splines on the post. I think I'm gonna try to replace the clutch to get one with full teeth, and I believe the clutch comes with a shim kit.
Old 08-04-2011
Registered!!

Yeah after closer inspection of your photo the splines are rounded out, your best bet is to buy the pulley/clutch set. My A/C clutch is probably on the side of the freeway lol.
Old 08-07-2011
Registered!!

wetpinkpants is on a distinguished road

I would try to repair the threads and put the pressure plate back on with a new nut and the gap should be less than .020 . the only thing you can replace is the clucth set and your pully and pressure plate look good and if your coil is still working. If you want to replace where the threads are you are better off to replace it with a new compressor because you have to have the system vacuumed
Old 08-23-2011
Registered!!

Great write up, thought I would let everyone know that I ordered a clutch and pulley from Honda Parts Now, and tore apart my wifes car by simpily removing both belts PS, and Alternator, then removed the outer snapring off the compressor pulley, pulled the pulley without the assistance of a puller, pressed the new pulley on, installed snap ring, shims, then clutch, tightened down using a clutch holder tool borrowed from autozone, put it all back together and it worked!!! Easy job for anyone afraid to try this, I am by far not a mechanic but it was pretty simple to say the least.
Old 08-24-2011
Registered!!

^Great job, wow no puller needed huh, mine was stuck on good. Would you say your ac is colder now or before the clutch flew off?
Old 08-31-2011
Registered!!

I got a full clutch kit and went to replace. I couldn't get the outer shim off to pull the pulley, so I just installed the new outer plate. I put in shims and not enough gap, removed, more shims, not enough gap, changed shims, too much gap, changed shims, then within spec. I used a pry bar to hold the pulley still to torque the new nut on the post. After putting everything back together after replacing the head gasket, started up and had a revving issue. Turned on the AC and it was nice and cold. Found that the rev issue was from not installing the PCV hose to the back of the head and life is good again!
Old 09-03-2011
Registered!!

so you just installed the clutch plate? wow good job with the fix and loving the coldness again huh.
Old 09-04-2011
Registered!!

Definitley much better. Easy fix for me, and hope it lasts forever.