6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

A/C Clutch bearing replacement question 1998 Civic EX

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kenjitsu is an unknown quantity at this point
A/C Clutch bearing replacement question 1998 Civic EX

So I was getting a lot of play and noise from the A/C compressor clutch pulley. I figured it was the bearing so I replaced it. When I put the pulley back on with the new bearing, there was still play in it.

Has anyone had this issue before? Any clues? Could the pulley nut not be tight enough to push seat the pulley even further?

I also noticed only 1 shim. In the replacement new clutches I've seen, I see they include three shims.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-27-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A/C Clutch bearing replacement question 1998 Civic EX

Play, in which direction?
I know it's difficult to see, but the snap rings for these are beveled on one side and designed to always push the coil and pulley to the fully seated position.
If you get either of them installed backwards it can allow unwanted movement.
The beveled edge should face you during install, the rings should seat into their grooves
(I twist a screwdriver around the edges to be sure it's seated).
Old 08-28-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kenjitsu is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
Play, in which direction?
I know it's difficult to see, but the snap rings for these are beveled on one side and designed to always push the coil and pulley to the fully seated position.
If you get either of them installed backwards it can allow unwanted movement.
The beveled edge should face you during install, the rings should seat into their grooves
(I twist a screwdriver around the edges to be sure it's seated).
The play is in the whole pulley assembly...it wobbles even when seated..almost like there are not enough shims(if it takes more than one). Only one shim/washer was there when I took it apart toe replace the clutch bearing.

I'll check to see the orientation of the snap ring this weekend.

Thanks
Old 08-28-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I figured it was the bearing so I replaced it. When I put the pulley back on with the new bearing, there was still play in it.
What if the bearing wasn't actually the problem?

Remove the outer clutch plate, then watch in the hub area and figure out where the excess play actually originates?

EDIT: The shim(s) are only for adjusting the air gap between the pulley and clutch plate. They do not control any wobble in the pulley.

Last edited by ezone; 08-28-2015 at 08:42 PM.
Old 08-28-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
emich is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kenjitsu
So I was getting a lot of play and noise from the A/C compressor clutch pulley. I figured it was the bearing so I replaced it. When I put the pulley back on with the new bearing, there was still play in it.

Has anyone had this issue before? Any clues? Could the pulley nut not be tight enough to push seat the pulley even further?

I also noticed only 1 shim. In the replacement new clutches I've seen, I see they include three shims.

Any help would be appreciated.
Same here. I had a cyclical noise I was sure it was the bearing so I replace it. The noise become worse. ezone is correct the puley with new bearing and new clutch should be replace together.