Engine start problems Post issues with engine start here. Does not start, does not run, etc.

Long cranking time, when starts runs fine.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2023
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motomike is an unknown quantity at this point
Long cranking time, when starts runs fine.

I have a 2004 Honda Civic EX Coupe. It has a long cranking time to start, sometimes, but runs fine after it starts. I am pretty sure the fuel is draining back to the tank. Every time I take off the fuel injection hose at the rail there is never any pressure. I have tried two new fuel pumps, aftermarket, but still the same. Having said this, what would it hurt to put a check valve on the fuel line? Maybe close to the fuel rail or would it be better near the fuel pump so there would be more fuel in the line. Just about everything is new on this car. No codes. Appreciate any opinions. Thanks
Old 12-30-2023
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,203 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Long cranking time, when starts runs fine.

try a new fuel filter
Old 12-30-2023
Prelude Owner

Received 305 Likes on 215 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

If you prime the system before starting does it start better? Cycle the key to the II position a few times then try starting it.

Sounds like a weak fuel pump or clogged filter.
The following users liked this post:
Colin42 (12-30-2023)
Old 12-30-2023
Registered!!

I tried the cycle thing three times and waited 10 seconds, not much better. It starts better after short trips and when I get back in the car, like about 10 minuets. I've taken the injection hose off of the rail and put a can under it and cranked the engine for about two seconds, it almost filled the can and the gas was clear. Like I said, I tried two brand new pumps and filters that came with them, same thing. I noticed the regulators were different in both of them. I don't see how it could be the filters. These are after market pumps not genuine Honda pumps, so I don't know. I guess I'll have to do a fuel pressure test and see what the pressure is and see if it loses pressure and drains back. into the tank. After reading numerous posts , i noticed quite a few people have this problem, It seems like it is a hard one to figure it out. I appreciate your advice.
Thanks
Old 12-30-2023
Registered!!

Okay , back to the drawing board. It was just luck, but I hooked up my Craftmans OBD 11 computer. It showed I had a P O 497 purge valve code which I thought I had fixed with a new one. I also replaced the canister and the shut off valve . But now I am thinking that's not the problem. I went to what my computer calls Honda enhanced which I have never done before. It showed I have a 20-02 high voltage code. After some research I found out it is an ELD electrical load detector, located in the fuse box under the hood. It is caused by a loose solder connection. I ordered one and can't get it for about a week. I think I should fix this first before looking at anything else. I hope this might help someone with a similar problem. I'll get back later and let the thread know if this solves my problem.
Happy New Year