Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

Anyone know what happened??

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2022
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
KurtS is an unknown quantity at this point
Anyone know what happened??

Hi everyone, I was reconnecting my engine to the transmission this evening after doing a rear main seal and timing belt (I'm putting in a new used engine) when I heard a big snap and looked down to find this. It is where the engine side transmission bolt goes into the transmission housing. It happened while I was tightening down the bolt but hadn't quite fully seated the transmission to the engine. It was within mm's and all the pegs had gone properly into their holes as well as all the other mounting bolts.

Old 04-10-2022
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,131 Likes on 945 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Anyone know what happened??

You screwed up, something wasn't lined up as well as you thought, that bolt was way tighter than the rest, etc
The following users liked this post:
GolNat (04-10-2022)
Old 04-10-2022
Prelude Owner

Received 305 Likes on 215 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

This happened to the new used engine? Was it the same exact motor? Maybe it was already weak? Did the bolts go in nice and easy?
Old 04-10-2022
Registered!!

Yeah, this happened in the new engine. I'm really bummed... When I first connected them it felt like the torque converter was bumping into the flex plate with a gap just small enough between the two housings for me to start threading the bolts. I tightened the bolts on each side of the housing in order to seat everything together. I thought that the flex plate would put the torque converter back into place as I tightened. Obviously not. Is there any tips to reconnecting the two back together? It's an AT to the same engine that came out of my old one.D16Y7 I believe. In fact, I got the transmission and engine as a package. I separated them to do the rear main seal and was putting them back together.
Old 04-10-2022

Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Torque converter may not have been fully seated then
Old 04-10-2022
Registered!!

Is there any way to repair this aside from another engine? The chunk that broke off doesn't have any other attachments to it such as motor mounts, etc. Could I just remove the broken piece and get rid of the lower engine to transmission bolt and see how it goes? I believe there are still 4 other bolts from the transmission to the engine holding them together. Can this be welded back on? JB weld??
Old 04-10-2022
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,203 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

i don't think so
Old 04-16-2022
Registered!!

this is what broke off. As you can see it has one of the dowels and a bolt hole. Any thoughts on welding it? Is it a total loss? Any risk in just putting it back together with this piece JB welded on and bolts tightened down to torque?
Old 04-17-2022

For the $200 for another engine I wouldn't