Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

How to get bolt off from the engine?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Niaboc67 is an unknown quantity at this point
How to get bolt off from the engine?

::2003 honda civic ex::

I wanted to replace my serpentine belts, which has taken a lot longer than expected. I had done all the procedures, then I got to the adjusting wing nut which would not turn at all, it was way too rusted. I poured PB blast on it then apple cider vinegar, it will not budge. My idea now is to take the entire bracket off that is bolted onto the engine. Problem is, I took a ratchet and socket to it and that bolt wouldn't come off, similarly it's too rusted. It's a 1/2 drive so I attached a 10" extension for greater torque, still nothing. Not sure how I should process. Should I get a 1/2 drive breaker bar with a 10" or greater extension and try at that? Here is a picture, the bolt is the one on the top right.

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-03-10 at 11.13.28 AM.png
Views:	558
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	88573  
Old 03-10-2016
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: How to get bolt off from the engine?

I would be very careful with a 1/2 inch drive breaker bar on a bolt that size. I have snapped bolts that way and then you have to deal with getting the bolt stub out.
Old 03-10-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Reinstall the 12mm bolt on the bottom, thread it in but don't tighten it all the way
Loosen the 14mm bolt on top
go underneath again, use a prybar to move the alternator then tighten the 12mm to hold it in place
tighten the 14mm on top

If the wingnut is really stuck it probably won't go anywhere on its own.
Old 03-10-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Reinstall the 12mm bolt on the bottom, thread it in but don't tighten it all the way
Loosen the 14mm bolt on top
go underneath again, use a prybar to move the alternator then tighten the 12mm to hold it in place
tighten the 14mm on top

If the wingnut is really stuck it probably won't go anywhere on its own.
The bracket holding the adjusting wing nut mechanism and the hole are not aligned now. Something happened when I took the belts off now everything is out-of-whack, the bracket and that hole are now askew. It looks like my only real option is to try and use a breaker bar and extension on that 14mm on the top right. Then I'll have the entire bracket in my hands and ill be able to loosen things up, maybe. Kind of makes me want to pull my hair out because this seemed like such a simple job but one things leads to another and before I know I have a whole lot of nuts n bolts on the floor and I don't know how to put it back together. It's not that bad, yet. But I took a break from this project because I go to school. Just want to have this thing fixed already.
Old 03-10-2016
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
emich is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Niaboc67
::2003 honda civic ex::

I wanted to replace my serpentine belts, which has taken a lot longer than expected. I had done all the procedures, then I got to the adjusting wing nut which would not turn at all, it was way too rusted. I poured PB blast on it then apple cider vinegar, it will not budge. My idea now is to take the entire bracket off that is bolted onto the engine. Problem is, I took a ratchet and socket to it and that bolt wouldn't come off, similarly it's too rusted. It's a 1/2 drive so I attached a 10" extension for greater torque, still nothing. Not sure how I should process. Should I get a 1/2 drive breaker bar with a 10" or greater extension and try at that? Here is a picture, the bolt is the one on the top right.

Thank you
Loosen the 14mm alternator bolt on top. Push the alternator down.
Old 03-10-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The bracket holding the adjusting wing nut mechanism and the hole are not aligned now.
Ok so just remove the whole bracket then you can free up the wingnut too.
Loosen the 14mm alternator bolt on top. Push the alternator down.
^This too
Old 03-10-2016
Registered!!

Ok so just remove the whole bracket then you can free up the wingnut too.

^This too
Actually that's what offset the bolt hole. When I loosened that bolt on the alternator I wasn't able to put that bolt back in. In the photo you can see how they aren't lined up.
Old 03-10-2016
Registered!!

@ezone do you think that by messing around with the alternator i.e. lowering it and moving it around will that throw off being able to properly adjust the belts when I do get them on there?

Thank you
Old 03-10-2016

Loosen the top bolt so the alternator can move.
The alternator will pivot on that bolt. It won't be totally free and easy to move but it can be moved after the bolt is loosened.

When the alternator pivots, its bottom bolt hole does not always line up perfectly with the slot in the bottom bracket, the bracket needs to be loosened up to it can move as needed.

Remove bottom bracket, get the wing bolt freed up.
Reassemble the mess.
Old 03-13-2016
Registered!!

Loosen the top bolt so the alternator can move.
The alternator will pivot on that bolt. It won't be totally free and easy to move but it can be moved after the bolt is loosened.

When the alternator pivots, its bottom bolt hole does not always line up perfectly with the slot in the bottom bracket, the bracket needs to be loosened up to it can move as needed.

Reassemble the mess.
That's what offset the holes, when I loosened that alternator bolt then everything was askew and I couldn't move the bracket back far enough to put the original bolt back in.

So I should loosen the bracket, thereby having the get that bolt off in the right-hand side of the image posted? then get that wing nut loosened up so that its operational to add and release tension.
Old 03-13-2016

Originally Posted by Niaboc67
So I should loosen the bracket, thereby having the get that bolt off in the right-hand side of the image posted? then get that wing nut loosened up so that its operational to add and release tension.
Reassemble the mess.
Old 03-16-2016
Registered!!

How to progress with tricky wingut, rust problems and belts

I've attached some picture here to illustrate my situation. I've been taking a few breaks from this project due to school. Not sure what I should do here. What happened was my car was making a lot of squealing noises so I figured either the belts or the tension, or both were off. I bought some belts on amazon. Watched a few tutorials on youtube about installing the belts.

I particularly followed the directions here:
http://www.justanswer.com/honda/1k3f...nda-civic.html

Going off of that tutorial link, I loosened the mounting bolt on the top of the alternator which seemed to lower and shift things about. Then took off the lock bolt that held in the adjusting wingnut bracket which is connected to the overall bracket screwed onto the engine. However, I did not do step 'D' which said to loosen the mounting bolt, wasn't sure why that was needed. After step 'C' the holes of the wingnut bracket and the hole where the lock bolt went (alternator hole) were are now askew and not able to put that bolt back in there. So now that wingnut and its bracket dangle there (as pictured). And the worst part here is that the adjusting wingnut and the bracket at the end will not come off or unloosen at all. The bracket connected to the adjusting wingnut is rusted on there badly, this is my main problem, I don't know how to get it off. Is there any recommendations for getting that bracket off, maybe some heavy duty rust remover, candle wax trick or any ideas for getting the bracket off. I think if I could just get that bracket off the adjusting wingnut bolt I would be ok to finish the rest of the job. I've taken the power steering belt off. I took a break from this project for about a month after doing the aforementioned. Today I took a look into the engine bay and found rust on the pulleys, as pictured. When I removed the belts it was left to the elements, which I agree was quite idiotic. What should I do about this rust on the pulleys at this point? Once I get passed this issue with the bracket and wingnut I know it cannot be safe putting new belts on there with rust all over the pulleys. Basically, all my problems boil down to rust and rust related issues.

Here are the pictures. Any and all help are gladly appreciated,

Thank you,
my best
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20160316_160213.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	88590   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160316_161028.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	88591   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160316_160107.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	88592   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160316_160441.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	88593   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160316_160340.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	88594  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160316_160247.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	88595  
Old 03-16-2016
Registered!!

MassCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: How to progress with tricky wingut, rust problems and belts

There should only be one bolt holding the alt adjusting bracket to the engine, toward the rear.

Take this bolt out and remove the whole bracket so you can soak it in pb blaster and put it in a vice to work the wingnut bolt out.

Upon further inspection it's the bolt in the bottom right of the last pic you attached.
Old 03-16-2016
Registered!!

Re: How to progress with tricky wingut, rust problems and belts

Originally Posted by MassCivic
There should only be one bolt holding the alt adjusting bracket to the engine, toward the rear.

Take this bolt out and remove the whole bracket so you can soak it in pb blaster and put it in a vice to work the wingnut bolt out.

Upon further inspection it's the bolt in the bottom right of the last pic you attached.
Hey thanks man!
Yep, I was considering doing that. I wanted to do this without having to jack the car up and take the wheel off. So far I've been just navigating my hands around the engine. Now I'll have to get a jack lift and some jacks. Along with a breaker bar and long extension to get to that bolt. After I get that mounting bolt off and soak that whole bracket in PB blast, how difficult will it be to put the mounting bolt back on? seems like it could be difficult getting the placement/position of things correct. Definitely looks like a two man operation here.
Old 03-16-2016

You've been scared to take the wheel off and get after it?
Man up, rip the wheel off and DO WORK SON! (LOL)

Pull the splash panel back and the whole thing will be hanging out in front of God and everybody

Name:  YZtmKpQ.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  813.7 KB

Remove one bolt. Bracket comes off in your hands.
Carry to workbench, clamp in vise

If pliers won't get it to move then USE FIRE to get the wingbolt free from its threaded thingamabob.

Also...please keep all the posts about the same problems in the same thread. Thanks.