Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Bolt Broken off into Engine Block

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Koko4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Bolt Broken off into Engine Block

So I was going to replace my timing belt, when I discovered my front engine mount was broken (literally into two pieces). After I took the mount off and got past the lower timing belt cover, I discovered the unimaginable. There are two bolts on the engine block that hold the bracket/mount to the engine. They are right next to the automatic tensioner for the timing belt. The bottom bolt is broken off into the hole. None of it is sticking out..in fact, it is recessed in about 1/8".

I have been chiseling at the thing for about 30 minutes, and have made a small hole near the center of it. I am not able to get a head-on angle at it..with the engine lowered all the way down (with the driver's side mount out), it is about a 45 degree angle, with the frame in the way. I have half a foot, at best, between the engine block and the frame.

I'm assuming that the previous owner had discovered this broken bolt and not done anything about it, and it led to the demise of the motor mount. I don't want to put it back together without extracting this bolt. Any suggestions on how to get this thing out?! I thought I'd have my car back together this afternoon..

Thanks for any help
Old 09-13-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of
Re: Bolt Broken off into Engine Block

Damn, that sucks. If you don't have enough clearance to get the proper angle you're gonna have to pull the engine.

This is a really good DIY on pulling the engine:
[autostream]http://autostream.com/ibcivicforums/?page_type=firebirdplayerthumbnail&framepage=145&t ransactionid=1347530369-6616910926&posted_by=lazlong_www.civicforums.com&y outube_video_id=Me9w6aIqJ48[/autostream]