Suspension Post your issues with Suspension here! Suspension will cover from Steering Column (Steer Wheel is in interior), Suspension, Bearing and Hubs

What nut goes to this bolt?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2021
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
andis28 is an unknown quantity at this point
What nut goes to this bolt?

Hey, I was putting new coilovers on my 1998 Civic EX and ran into some trouble with stuck bolts. I ended up cutting off one of the rear arm bolts that has a nut welded on to the strut. Could anybody give me a link to where I can buy the correct size nut for the bolt pictured? I couldn’t find anything at Home Depot.
Old 11-29-2021
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,151 Likes on 804 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What nut goes to this bolt?

what's the part number on that honda bag in the background? That will at least let us look up the actual thread OD by looking up the part number

Purely based off the diameter and your finger being a frame of reference, prolly M10x1.5? Maybe M12x1.5? idk, I don't have the biggest hands, so I'm naturally assuming your pinky is the width of my middle finger.

here's my math for my best guess, using a digital caliper as closely as I could without scratching my monitor:

the middle section of your pinky finger on my screen: 24mm
the outer diameter of the threads on my screen: 17mm
this makes the thread OD 70% of your finger.

My middle finger middle section: about 16.5mm
so.. 70% of that is 11.68mm. M12 is the closest. The x1.5 thread pitch is a pure shot in the dark, but it is the most common thread pitch for M12 bolts on a Honda.
Old 11-29-2021
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
what's the part number on that honda bag in the background? That will at least let us look up the actual thread OD by looking up the part number

Purely based off the diameter and your finger being a frame of reference, prolly M10x1.5? Maybe M12x1.5? idk, I don't have the biggest hands, so I'm naturally assuming your pinky is the width of my middle finger.

here's my math for my best guess, using a digital caliper as closely as I could without scratching my monitor:

the middle section of your pinky finger on my screen: 24mm
the outer diameter of the threads on my screen: 17mm
this makes the thread OD 70% of your finger.

My middle finger middle section: about 16.5mm
so.. 70% of that is 11.68mm. M12 is the closest. The x1.5 thread pitch is a pure shot in the dark, but it is the most common thread pitch for M12 bolts on a Honda.
Thanks for the quick response! The number on the bag says “90173-SR3-003” does that help?
Old 11-29-2021
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Damn, your fingers in the pic looked much bigger than mine. Using that 70% ratio on my middle finger, I got like 9.84mm or something close to that for the thread OD. That part number tells me it's a m10 bolt with an 80mm length. Not 100% on the thread pitch, but I'd be willing to bet it's m10x1.5. if you wanna do a quick check, pull off a single lug nut and see if it threads in properly. If it does, it's for sure m10x1.5
Old 11-29-2021
Administrator
Administrator

Another search told me M10x1.25.. Definitely do the lug nut check. If it threads on easily, then 1.5 thread pitch. If it doesn't, likely 1.25
Old 11-30-2021
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Another search told me M10x1.25.. Definitely do the lug nut check. If it threads on easily, then 1.5 thread pitch. If it doesn't, likely 1.25
So I tested it on one of my lug nuts and the bolt went straight in without any threading, does that mean I need smaller than 10 mm? I am not sure.
Old 11-30-2021
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,203 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

i am afraid he means nut, not lug nut...
go with the M10 and search on a hardware store
Old 11-30-2021
Administrator
Administrator

oh wait... I'm dumb. Lug nuts are m12x1.5. My fault. @sdaidoji I was saying to use a known thread pitch to test what actual thread pitch on the bolt is.

Do you have a MT? The shift **** should be m10x1.5
Old 11-30-2021
Super Moderator

Received 1,875 Likes on 1,320 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Even if the bolt is smaller than a wheel stud you can still compare the thread pitch. If the thread spacing on your bolt matches the wheel stud then it is 1.5 mm.

A set of digital calipers or a very accurate metric ruler/tape would make quick work of this. First measure how wide the stud part of the bolt is (this is the M10 part, 10 mm is our guess), then measure the distance between two threads (1.5 is in mm, 1.25 mm would be the next guess).