Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

New member/rough civic Lx

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2020
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OoohCivicLx is an unknown quantity at this point
New member/rough civic Lx

Hey all!
New member to the forums, wanted to come by and say what's up! Within about a month I'd say now, I purchased a used 1998 Civic Lx from someone here in town. Half the reason I'm writing this post, is because I'm fairly certain I'm already faced with cracking open the head and replacing my head gasket as the car has developed the textbook symptoms of a blown gasket. I've already been throwing money into this car as far as cheap mods and replacement parts are concerned to get her running solid, but unfortunately there's no way around the obvious head gasket problem I've developed.
My main question is; if I don't want to go about bringing the head for machining (worst case scenario if she is warped), could I pick up a used cylinder head and swap it on? Have a couple folks in Tucson who are trying to get rid of reasonably priced D series parts so the option to swap another head is available. Thanks for any and all info you guys can provide!
Old 08-13-2020
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: New member/rough civic Lx

You could always purchase another head from eBay, salvage yards, individuals and hope that those particular cylinder heads don't have their own issues. Personally, I would rather use the head off the car I own, bring it to a local reputable machine shop and have the machinist inspect for cracks, valve leaks, flatness, check spring compression.

I would also have it milled flat if needed, hot tanked for cleaning, install new valve stem seals, and lapp the valves while at the machine shop. Yes, it will be an extra expense but will also most likely avoid possible issues later on.

Old 08-13-2020
Registered!!

That's been a few of the recommendations I've gotten, just having the current head rehauled and cleaned up real good if there's damage/warpage done. Was also thinking of grabbing this extra cylinder head if all be well with it, and then sending the current head in for machining so downtime is sorta lessened if that makes sense? What I'd love to avoid is having to purchase a whole engine assembly and having that dropped in... for a head gasket job I feel like that's worst case scenario but I could be wrong. I don't wanna dump more money into this car than needed to get her running copacetic.
I'd bought this car to avoid daily driving my real project (2015 evo x), but it's a little lame this car so rapidly became my latest project haha
Old 08-13-2020

Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

The blocks are solid, though you should measure the top with a precision level and feeler gauge to insure it's not warped while the head is off. Generally, it's just a matter of installing a new honda oem headgasket and making sure the head is within (flatness) specification to achieve a successful repair. Really, no need to replace the whole engine unless there is a crack in the block, cylinder wall or internal damage.

If the cylinder head is still on the block do a dry and wet compression test to help rule out a potential deeper issue such as compression loss through cylinder rings. If two adjacent cylinders have compression loss then it's most likely a head gasket breach between those two cylinders. If you have the tools to do a leak down test prior to head gasket removal that would be preferable in conjunction with a compression test to rule out compression loss in cylinders, intake & exhaust valves, as well as look for bubbles with radiator cap off to prove a head gasket breach.

Also, if there is a head gasket breach the question is what caused it and has that primary issue been addressed? Issue such as failed: thermostat, water pump, external leaks, etc...

Old 08-13-2020
Registered!!

I'm hoping there isn't any major underlying issue. Doesn't seem like that's the case. However I will say the previous owner must've never properly maintained the cooling system for starters. Original coolant reservoir was caked up with sludge and brown grime. They were using some sort of Autozone Universal coolant, but I recently switched over to Honda blue when I did my flushes/drain and fills.
Thought maybe replacing all the minor cooling incidentals like thermo/fan switch/block temp gauge that would help it. Fan runs fine, relays/fuses seem to be working optimally but may replace soon anyway. Also have a full aluminum rad and fresh hoses to put on.
We'll be looking at tearing the motor down tomorrow morning at a shop so I'll make sure we do the compression/leak down tests before we disassemble anything. I really hope we can save the majority of the motor, she hasn't ever overheated severely nor do I constantly beat on it or drive while it's really hot. Temp gauge will wobble above operating temp if I drive thru town for long periods of time in the afternoon but nothing close to reaching anything wild.
Old 08-13-2020

Originally Posted by OoohCivicLx
I'm hoping there isn't any major underlying issue. Doesn't seem like that's the case. However I will say the previous owner must've never properly maintained the cooling system for starters. Original coolant reservoir was caked up with sludge and brown grime. They were using some sort of Autozone Universal coolant, but I recently switched over to Honda blue when I did my flushes/drain and fills.
Thought maybe replacing all the minor cooling incidentals like thermo/fan switch/block temp gauge that would help it. Fan runs fine, relays/fuses seem to be working optimally but may replace soon anyway. Also have a full aluminum rad and fresh hoses to put on.
We'll be looking at tearing the motor down tomorrow morning at a shop so I'll make sure we do the compression/leak down tests before we disassemble anything. I really hope we can save the majority of the motor, she hasn't ever overheated severely nor do I constantly beat on it or drive while it's really hot. Temp gauge will wobble above operating temp if I drive thru town for long periods of time in the afternoon but nothing close to reaching anything wild.
Hope it all goes well for you. Keep us updated, please.
Old 08-13-2020
Registered!!

Thanks for that, will do! Wanna try to get a little more active on here, especially after this is all squared away
Old 08-17-2020
Registered!!

So update!!
Ripped apart the motor, and found the head gasket had certainly failed. Was blatantly clear we had a bad combustion chamber leak. Luckily the head and block were not damaged at all, no warpage either and they sealed back up just right with the fresh gasket after some good cleaning.
Will say now though, I've developed a very weird metallic rattle sound during acceleration. I'm hoping it's only something loose... but we'll see. I also want to note I have been draining/filling my trans with Valvoline maxlife, and after the second drain and fill was when the rattle sound became more distinct. I swear if this car decides to lose the trans after all the engine work I put in lol...

Plus side tho - car doesn't overheat or eat coolant at all anymore
Old 08-24-2020

Good to hear it went smoothly for you.

I've used Valvoline Maxlife in a 6th and 7th gen Civic without issue
Check the exhaust heat shield is secure and not rattling..

​​​​​​