Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

y8 mini me swap

Old 07-11-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99ek is an unknown quantity at this point
y8 mini me swap

Hey guys i just finished installing a y8 manifold and y8 cylinder head into my 99 civic d16y7. Currently the Vtec solenoid and oil pressure are not hooked up and it is still running the factory ecu. I got it fired up for the first time and once i sorted out a bad ground, and the idle speed adjuster i got it kinda half assed running. It struggles to start but once its going it idles with a definite missfire. If you go to rev it it makes a weird suction noise through the intake? and tried to die. If you're slow with the throttle you can creep it up to about 1400 and it'll surge? and fluctuate between 900 - 1400 rpm pretty steadily.

I have an engine code for general engine missfire, and while it was running i unplugged each of the spark plugs and fuel injectors are working as i could notice the drop in power. I've checked i did the firing order correct on the distributor and the plug wires were in the correct place.

I'm gonna pick up some hoses tomorrow and replace all the vacuum lines, toss some new spark plugs, and replace the fuel filter. Saturday my timing light should come and i will double check that and fine tune it.

Is there something i could be over looking? Thank you in advance!

I am currently running the y7 throttle body on the y8 intake manifold and y8 cylinder head. the y8 intake manifold still has the iacv on the back but i put a cap on both of the ports so i don't think that would be causing this. the spark plugs are dirty but the correct gap.
Old 07-12-2019
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold
Re: y8 mini me swap

If the IACV wires are plugged in but its ports are blocked/capped, then you're going to have idle problems like surging.
Old 07-13-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99ek is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: y8 mini me swap

So after working on it for the last 2 days I've now fixed every sensor issue its had, replaced all vacuum lines routed correctly with brand new hoses an such, got it running a couple times but when i come out after 2 hours it wont start and i have to mess with the distributor. I got it running and idling yesterday night just fine and now cant get it to start and smells like gas. So im now getting gas, spark, has good compression, and is getting air so i guess my timing is way off or something? does that sound correct? firing order is correct and i checked, double checked, and triple checked the new timing belt and followed manufacturers spec for the entire process. i have no check engine light, and it tries to start but just cranks forever. i cant even get it running enough to get a timing light on it. What else could i possibly be missing guys im going nuts.