Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1993 Honda civic EX D15 wont start. A lot replaced

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Matsal16 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation 1993 Honda civic EX D15 wont start. A lot replaced

Bough this car 2 Years ago with this engine already swapped and ran fine until about a month ago.

I was driving and it just turned off out of no were. took a while to start again and every time i gave it gas it would turn off. If i just let it coast without giving it gas it would but eventually turn off. I kept doing this until I got close to my house and it wouldnt turn on anymore.

Cranks but does not start. Sounds like its about too but doesnt and you can smell a little gas or some other fume not too sure.

Things replaced:
Main Relay- about a year ago
Starter- 3 months ago

Issue started then I replaced- all less than a month
Complete Distributor
Fuel Pump
Fuel Filter
Spark plugs and wires
Battery

All fuses have been checked
Was told to disconnect Cat. cause if it gets clogged it wont start. Tried it, same issue.
Cleaned Throttle body a bit

Was told MAP sensor can cause this problem but dont want to keep dropping money on something that wont work. Any Info on this?

No check engine light. I dont race or beat this car up or anything like that.

Also there is a long clicking noise coming from the driver side somewhere behind the steering wheel or from engine bay when i switch the ignition on before i actually crank it. Last about 3 seconds. always did this though.

My new daily takes about $150 a week on gas so i need this gas saver up and going again lol
Old 05-02-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: 1993 Honda civic EX D15 wont start. A lot replaced

Originally Posted by Matsal16
Cranks but does not start. Sounds like its about too but doesnt and you can smell a little gas or some other fume not too sure.
Have you try starting it with gas pedal pushed all the way to floor (for potential flooding issue)?. Doing so opens the throttle all the way and allows more air to mix with the fuel in the cylinders.

Have you tried spraying starting fluid into the throttle body/intake?

Complete Distributor
OEM or aftermarket? Did new distributor cap come with the new distributor?

Spark plugs and wires
Brand? Did you gap the plugs to spec? Are the spark plug wires in the correct firing order?

Was told MAP sensor can cause this problem
Pull a used one from junkyard

Was the crank sensor near crankshaft ever replaced?
Also, check both the ignition timing (distributor) and mechanical timing (timing belt)... the timing belt may have skipped a tooth/teeth which can also cause a crank with no start issue. I would start here first because there's no cost to do so.
Old 07-07-2017
Registered!!

Matsal16 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, i haven't had time to mess with the civic lately but i did try some stuff and nothing still.
I tried starting it with the gas pedal all the way down.
It has a new distributor from autozone. its a complete unity so new cap and rotor as well.
i got Duralast wires and not to sure on the spark plugs. i used the same brand when i did the turn up the first time as well and they work fine for me.
I replaced the MAP sensor and nothing.
i have yet to check the timing but i did check the belt and it seems fine to me.

Anything else you guys can think of?
Old 07-07-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Things replaced:

Issue started then I replaced-

Does it have spark?
Old 07-13-2017
Registered!!

larry yellnats is an unknown quantity at this point

1. fuel
2.spark
3.air