Electrical Post your Electrical issues here!

Lights turn on with engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2021
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JednotasVlassky is an unknown quantity at this point
Lights turn on with engine

Hello everyone!
I have an ej9 1.4 d14z2 civic sedan. The previous owner(s) installed something to automatically power the headlights when the engine is turned on bypassing the light switch. This wouldn't be a problem, if I could turn the high beams and the praking lights on. The high beams work if I pull the lever towards me, but they don't stay on.
In the book I have found a paper with instructions for something like this: https://www.speedtech.sk/product/546...tiel-uni-se085
I have taken the bottom panel off from under the dash and also the steering column cover, but haven't found anything. Obviously I don't know what to look for exactly, I'm 18 years old and I don't have any experience with electrical wiring in a real car, only Arduino RC cars.
I could provide some pictures if needed.
Thanks a lot!
Old 02-05-2021
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,149 Likes on 803 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Lights turn on with engine

pulling the lever is typically momentary-on high beam (e.g. flash to pass). Pushing the lever away from you (forward with respect to the vehicle) is typically constant-on mode for high beams
Old 02-05-2021
Super Moderator

Received 1,874 Likes on 1,319 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Also, the headlight switch has to be on in order for the high beams to work by pushing the stick away from you. The flash to pass will still work with the headlight switch off.
Old 02-05-2021
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,203 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

aftermarket DRL (Daytime running lights) are typically on the engine bay. Look closer tot he battery.
They are intended to turn the high beams at half the power, so makes sense the high beams are affected
Old 02-05-2021
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JednotasVlassky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
pulling the lever is typically momentary-on high beam (e.g. flash to pass). Pushing the lever away from you (forward with respect to the vehicle) is typically constant-on mode for high beams
Originally Posted by BrotatoChip
Also, the headlight switch has to be on in order for the high beams to work by pushing the stick away from you. The flash to pass will still work with the headlight switch off.
Originally Posted by sdaidoji
aftermarket DRL (Daytime running lights) are typically on the engine bay. Look closer tot he battery.
They are intended to turn the high beams at half the power, so makes sense the high beams are affected
Thanks for the replies.
I thought about trying turning the switch on and then try the high beams but I didn't want to turn on the engine for that. I knew it would solve it, but the main thing is the parking lights.
I've found the black box that controls this.

The first one is that thick red wire, which is connected to the fuse box via two 10Ampere fuses (I think..I'll include the picture later). Number two is a red one that is next to a black one which goes into the headliner. The third is connected to the circuit in the box. These three are connected. The fourth, brown is the ground.

This is that first wire

And this is where it is connected

Now to the wires that leave the controller, or whatever it's called:

This was in that slot in the background, it has five pins: (from left to right then second row from left to right(from the wire's side as you see now)) [1,0,X,2;3,4,0,5]

[1,0,x,2;3,4,0,5] Number 1 - red and blue, hasn't been touched
Number 2 - red, it has been cut than connected, but seems like they maybe cut the wrong one and re-connected it.
Number 3 - red and white, connected with yellow and green wire, which is for low beam and high beam, it says in the diagram.
Number 4 - white, it is connnected with the original white that comes from a loom(I hope this is the right word) with even more wires, and a red from the box itself. For power I guess.
And number 5 - red and green, this is paired with a black and grey for the right side parking light that also comes from the box

But the left side is nowhere to be seen. It is wrapped up with a red and grey which is for the left side and one other wire for disabling the whole thing, but it seems like they haven't done a great job and all they cared about was the daytime running light and not about not blinding other people in the parking lot. So I'm guessing this is the problem.
Although I don't know what this connector is actually for, and as I've mentioned before, I don't really know what to look for.
I hope you understood my point and mainly my English. Thanks again.