General Post issues, questions that are not in the other sub-forums

Ignition and steering wheel locked.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seth Jeannette is an unknown quantity at this point
Ignition and steering wheel locked.

Ok here it goes!!! My 03 honda civic ex coupe 1.7l has been sitting for quite some time now. My battery has died in the car. I jumped my battery and turned my car on it was fine ignition worked fine turning on and off. I left my car running for a couple hours so that my batyery can keep a good charge. When i shut my car off the key moved smoothly like it should. BUT!!!! when i went to tirn the key back to start my car it would not turn. It wiggles a bit and my steering wheel is locked. Now i know about wiggling the steering wheel and turning the key at the same time. But the problem is thay is not working at all. Is there anything you guys can think of that i may need to do?? If worst case scenario could i bang out my ignition and use a screw driver to turn my car on??
Old 11-12-2019
Super Moderator

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,327 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of
Re: Ignition and steering wheel locked.

Originally Posted by Seth Jeannette
If worst case scenario could i bang out my ignition and use a screw driver to turn my car on??
No. You should be able to remove pins from the tumbler so that anything will turn it. But you will still have to use the original key or the immobilizer will not allow the engine to start.
Old 11-12-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seth Jeannette is an unknown quantity at this point

How do i go about removing the tumblers
Old 11-12-2019
Super Moderator

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,327 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

I have never done this and the service manual doesn't show anything either.

Another thing you could try is spraying some WD-40 in the ignition then slide your key in and out a few times. It may help loosen stuff up and get it to work again.
Old 11-12-2019
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,156 Likes on 806 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

So, just to recap. You've pulled the wheel in the direction in which it's locked (not just wiggled) and tried to turn the key, yes?