Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

First Oil Change....

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2003
Just Be

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MangoEX should not be trusted
First Oil Change....

Is it true that Honda gives out a free (first) oil change? If so do I have to go to the dealer i bought it at or any dealer? Also, I have 3100 miles, and i notice the manual says to do it at 10k.. i find that way too long. Do you think Honda would deny me my oil change? (IF EVEN the first one is free)
Old 01-04-2003
Registered!!

SoNiCcIvIc is an unknown quantity at this point
Actually you should do what Honda says. Change it at 8-10k because the oil in your car now is to break in the engine through the 10k period. After that, change the oil and/or change the oil to one you may prefer (say 5w-30 if you drive hard.)

However, if you've been driving your car hard... and you notice it's not performing as good, you just might wanna do it earlier. I noticed this after around 7,500 miles in my car... and I drove my car hard after the initial break in period (which I think is 600 miles). All I can say is drive on it... it's not like going over 3,000 miles in a car without an oil change is gonna do any harm. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]

Yes, Honda should give you your first oil change for free.
Old 01-04-2003
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
Personally, I did mine at 5500k and it seems like 7500k was recommended at the time. 10k is way too long imo. Anyhow, I have never heard of honda doing the first oil change for free. I guess it depends on your dealer though.
Old 01-04-2003
ak
Retired Mod
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

ak can only hope to improve
ALL Honda dealers should give you a free first oil change.

However, some tell you to come in at 3750 miles. Most remind you to come at 5000 miles...

and very few 7500 or 10,000 miles. Get it done at 5000 miles... the oil will look pitch black.
Old 01-04-2003
Registered!!

SoNiCcIvIc is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: Mbow
Personally, I did mine at 5500k and it seems like 7500k was recommended at the time. 10k is way too long imo. Anyhow, I have never heard of honda doing the first oil change for free. I guess it depends on your dealer though.[hr]
If I'm not mistaken, it was advertised in the 2k1 Civic's brochures. But yeah, I remember this thing being new for all Hondas.

I guess the best thing to do would to just go to the dealer or call their service department.
Old 01-04-2003
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, I got mine in February of '02 if that makes any difference. Anyhow, I didn't get my first change for free but I didn't go to the same dealer I bought the car from.

If this is true I am pissed. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-06-2003
Registered!!

dma001 is an unknown quantity at this point
I am coming up to my second oil change at 7500 miles, but my first one was supposed to be at 5000 miles (according to the manual), and my dealer here in Texas changed it to 3750; my understanding was that the change was due to the hot summers we have here. It took me longer than the allotted time to get to 3750 miles, but when I asked what was more important (length of time between oil changes or mileage), I was told not to get the oil changed before hitting 3750 miles.

In short, it may just depend on your region of the country. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-09-2003
i want a baby hummer :)

babychai is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: Mbow
Well, I got mine in February of '02 if that makes any difference. Anyhow, I didn't get my first change for free but I didn't go to the same dealer I bought the car from.

If this is true I am pissed. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG][hr]

I think you do have to go to the dealer you bought it from. They maintain a list.
I got my first oil change free... [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] I was told explicitly to go back and get the first oil change on them.

I also changed my oil at 4500 km. That's because I barely drive it, but it had been 7 months since I purchased it...
Old 01-09-2003
Registered!!

2001civ is an unknown quantity at this point
my dealer said 5000 miles and it was free.
Old 01-09-2003
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PESTLNC is an unknown quantity at this point
Dealers are clueless. I've heard 3750mi, 5000mi, 7500mi, and 10000mi. for the first oil change. Dealers are morons.

I changed my first oil at 1500mi. then at 3000mi. Now I'm following a 3000mi. change interval for semi-synthetic. If I was using full synthetic I'd do 5000mi.

Honestly, 99% of members of this board should be following FORD's severe scheduel for fleet vehicles.
Old 01-14-2003
Super Hoser

turboslug will become famous soon enoughturboslug will become famous soon enough
my dealer told me 1st oil change will be free....

honda states that oil should be changed after 8000km or 4 months...

i'm guessing i'll have only 2000km on the car after 4 months...

will it affect the car much if i get the 1st oil change done before 8000km? i certainly won't hit 8000km even after 1 year....
Old 01-14-2003
Registered!!

Newt is an unknown quantity at this point
Honda Dealers aren't under any obigation to offer free oil changes, but when you are buying your car ask for one or two and you might get one. When I was haggling the purchase price they wouldn't come down any lower than I wanted, so I haggled for floor mats and two oil changes and got it all. If you stand your ground and don't act as if you have to have the car right away, then most dealers will do some small things to close the deal.[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
Old 02-28-2003
Registered!!

Dr5D is an unknown quantity at this point
i never got a free oil change[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-01-2003
TUCKIN 19s

2k2EXCOUPE will become famous soon enough
I didnt get my free oil change!!!!!!

Everytime I go in for my oil change (which is twice so far) they tell me I'm way to early and to wait 5,000 before I change it. I'd rather get it done at about every 3500 miles. plus, the sticker they put in my window says 3000. Go figure
Old 03-01-2003
Registered!!

bullseye is an unknown quantity at this point
I've changed the oil myself in my 2K1 Civic right at 14 times now if I am not mistaken. The first time was at just over 5000 miles. Now at 58,000+miles. My dealership never said anything to me about a first oil change for free which is ok because I would still do it myself. There are too many idiots working at the Honda places I have been to.

Plus the dealerships are crooks. The dealership wanted $51 for cabin air filters and I ordered them from HandA Accessories for like $22.50. One owner of a local dealership told me I needed to let them change my oil - it was only $24.95! Hmm...3.5 quarts of oil and a little tiny filter and some yahoo that takes 5- 10 minutes to do the job. My last oil change cost me right at 10 bucks and that was still using a Honda filter.
Old 03-22-2003
Registered!!

r0ckdat is an unknown quantity at this point
oil

guys, I don't know what your smoking.... I got 7500 miles on my 02' civic right now. I did my first oil change at 4000. Lemme tell you this, I don't care what Honda said, I I took out the oil stick and saw how freakn BLACK my oil was I was dumb enough to wait till 4,000 miles. I should of done it at 3,000. The oil was thick and nasstty. I recommend everyone to check there sticks and replace there oil assoon as possible.

b.t.w. first oil change? I went to Honda about that... and they laughted in my face. ( i live in NY)
Old 03-23-2003
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
flotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to behold
Yup I did my first oil change myself also at about 5K miles. Even though 95% of my driving is highway I was paranoid about going 10K on the same oil. From what I've read, the factory fill from Honda has more moly in it. Though it didnt state if that was from assembly grease or intentionally added in. Either way I'm glad I changed it since it had a shiny metallic sheen to it when I looked at it in the sunlight from all of the metal particles I assume wearing in together. I'm curious to see what my next oil change looks like.
Old 03-23-2003
Registered!!

GoOkStA is an unknown quantity at this point
i did my first oil change 3000. the first 3 oil changes were free from dealer