Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Starting Problems after Timing Belt Change

Old 08-19-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CdnRD is an unknown quantity at this point
Starting Problems after Timing Belt Change

I have a problem with my 05 Civic that baffles me. Last winter the oil light came. I checked the oil level and it was right on full. I had it taken to a local shop (not a Honda shop as there isn't one in my town) and they said the bottom 2-3 inches of the oil pan was frozen solid. Once they thawed it and changed the oil they couldn't get it started. They said they checked the timing belt and said it was not lined up properly. They changed the belt and pulleys etc. They eventually got it running but only if they pulled the cam sensor connector.

It will start and run now, but it takes 4 or 5 times turning it over. It runs okay at under 3500 rpm but much more and it bogs down. It will still only run without the cam sensor disconnected. They had replaced the cam sensor but it didn't help.

I'm thinking it's related to the cam timing but not sure if it might be related to freezing up. Any ideas?
Old 08-19-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Starting Problems after Timing Belt Change

your timing is most likely incorrect,

could also be a faulty cam or crank sensor, but my money would be bet on the timing
Old 08-19-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Freezing up?
How much water was in the oil to make it freeze solid, if it did in fact freeze solid?

Did it actually run in that condition? If it managed to run, it could have done all sorts of bearing damage due to severe lack of lubrication (does it knock loudly now?)

IF someone unfamiliar with Hondas stuck a wrench on the crank and turned it the wrong direction that could make it jump time!
Old 08-19-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CdnRD is an unknown quantity at this point

It didn't freeze solid. It still turned over but wouldn't start. My son was driving it to school and back through the winter - only a couple of miles each way so it never warmed up to operating temperature. The ice must have built up through condensation a little bit at a time until it blocked the oil flow. We see -30 pretty regularly here through the winter and it doesn't have a block heater so that engine starts its mornings pretty cold!

The engine runs quiet. I don't think it ran with low oil pressure for two long. There could be some damage to the bearings but it's the cam sensor thing that makes me think timing as well.

Is there a way to check and adjust the timing without the tearing apart required for a belt change?
Old 08-19-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Is there a way to check and adjust the timing without the tearing apart required for a belt change?
Check: yes, (pull VC and upper timing cover off)
adjust: no
Old 08-20-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
emich is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mikey1
your timing is most likely incorrect,

could also be a faulty cam or crank sensor, but my money would be bet on the timing
Agree
Old 08-21-2015
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

this will show you how to get the covers off